The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 06, 2024, 04:59:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Groups, Sites (maybe)  (Read 10275 times)
Melville

View Profile Email
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:18:33 AM »

This was originally thought up by manofthesea!

I was thinking that, it would be really cool if you could create groups in this. You could share files, money, maybe an easier messaging system. It might encourage people to meet people, form alliances and stuff like that. Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, or if you already can, but like, set up a webpage on your IP, though right now I'm not sure what that would be for. I would suggest some kind of system where you could make your own scripts, but that might draw people away because it sounds/is too complicated. Most of these probably aren't possible, but they could be and I hope they would be kinda good to have. This was originally thought up by manofthesea!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:57:26 AM by Melville » Logged
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »

like guilds/clans in other games? or have i mis-understood?

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »

I think I suggested that to him first.  Melville, that is. 
Melville

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »

Yeah, Manofthesea was the one who thought up the idea, gonna update first post. And also, it's kind of like a clan, however you might be able to get to know the people in your clan a little bit better than you would in a normal MMORPG/FPS because you might be helping each other to complete missions, install virii, and stuff like that.
ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

I didn't need credit.  Melville, you were the one to put it on the board.

The way I could see it is collaboration, researching different techs and then sharing the results.

A group of hackers is WAY more dangerous than the sum of their parts.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »

and a traitor also >1

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
plubius

a gun is not an argument.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »

yeah, and that could start a hacker clan war, and that could lead to intell/counter intell within the ranks. realy with the amount of damage a double agent could do, it becomes immpossible to hold a clan together. it would be absolutely nessacary to start multiple witch-hunts. sounds fun laugh

for every action there is an equal and opposite government program
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »

Groups of hackers are very difficult to maintain because they can turn against each others very easily.

Nevertheless we will study the group / clan suggestion and implement a working system in the near future, but for now we are monitoring how people can get along in the game without any group features. You are still free to help each other, as long as you don't use multi-accounts to gang on someone and such, you can gang on targets with your ingame friends sure, it's no problem.

Until then, we can use the ingame message system to form temporary clans / alliances with your own free forum.

ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »

Incentives to work together:  Faster research, someone to watch your back while you're offline.
Incentives to defect:  Make a quick buck, ruin a partner.  These don't seem all that useful, compared to the long term benefit of working together.
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »

I have actually started an alliance that forbids its members from destroying for each others. I believe a sort of a guild/clan system would be good.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Melville

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »

Groups of hackers are very difficult to maintain because they can turn against each others very easily.

Nevertheless we will study the group / clan suggestion and implement a working system in the near future, but for now we are monitoring how people can get along in the game without any group features. You are still free to help each other, as long as you don't use multi-accounts to gang on someone and such, you can gang on targets with your ingame friends sure, it's no problem.

Until then, we can use the ingame message system to form temporary clans / alliances with your own free forum.

I think the whole thing here would be it's kind of like, the leader has to completely trust the person he's recruiting, and unless the person he's recruiting is a very good actor, then he won't be able to get in the clan. If anyone betrays them and they find out about it, then they will completely destroy the hacker in question. Also, betrayals are always kinda fun.
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 01:49:44 AM »

I think the whole thing here would be it's kind of like, the leader has to completely trust the person he's recruiting, and unless the person he's recruiting is a very good actor, then he won't be able to get in the clan. If anyone betrays them and they find out about it, then they will completely destroy the hacker in question. Also, betrayals are always kinda fun.

I saw the last sentence you wrote. That is very true. If a person seem to be attracted by another alliance/clan he could betray his old. That is a part of all games where guilds/clans is very important and it can be applied here to.

Arthur Dent wrote this post.

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:21 AM »

Well you could do something like a group server with the ingame tools you have now:

- the leader can buy a server from the hardware dealer
- the server description can be edited to say it's a group server (available from the Secure FTP interface)
- the HDD and band of the group server can be upgraded by the leader that owns the server
- it can be used as a backup server for your group
- the leader that owns the server can use Secure FTP to store the most important files and instantly restore them if deleted
- when the leader needs to manage the group server, he can just change gateway to it, change pass / IP / format etc.

- the good thing is the server can't go on the wrong hands since it's owned by the leader / or another trusted member

Only problem is the firewall / password protect has to be stopped / lowered so the members get admin access to the server, but that could also be a good thing... and it's only a one time thing to get admin, then they can login at will until the next pass change...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:25:41 AM by siremi » Logged

Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »

You mentioned that the Password and Firewall Protect had to be lowered so every member could log in. That is not necessary if you can send your admin logins to other players.

ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »

That shouldn't happen.
Pages: [1] 2
Print