The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 07, 2024, 05:35:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Put CAPs on things  (Read 12313 times)
virus man

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »

Right now as the game stands the sky is the limit.

My group will soon have 5.0 and higher programs.   That is just stupid when the software all starts at .1

I mean password cracking time has a cap.  It caps out at an hour no matter how high your Password Protect is.

So why shouldn't everything be capped?

Or at least provide diminishing returns.

Lets take research for example.
Right now to go from .1 to 1.0 takes 150 hours.   With some software being as small as it is I know I can do .1 to 1.0 in under 10 hours.

Yes I am a top player but is that really fair?

Everything should have a limit or at least something that makes it to costly to go beyond a point.

What I suggest is either a cap be placed or dimishing returns be put into place.

If diminishing returns is used then I suggest something like this.

Research.
Time to research each .1 be increased by 1%,5%, or 10%.  Or keep it the same but increase the cost by the same amount.

Overloading.
Each overload should cost progressively more and the bug fixed that provides more than .033.  When Overloading first came out it would only provide .033 which while useful was also very costly. Currently it provides .33.  And has no real negative effect.
When you overcloak computer hardware you run the risk of ruining it when you push it to far.  Someone like that should happen with overloading.
Say each X1 = 10% failure rate.  When the software fails it is destroyed and made unusable.

Server stats
Where is the point of diminishing returns here?  Right now you can have a server more powerful than anything in real life even the linux cluster used for Titanic.  But there is no draw back.  Maybe make it like in real life.  Try running a Dos game on a new computer.  You will run into the problem that the newer computer is to fast for the dos game.  That is why they have programs out there specifically to take up clock cycles and allow the old game to play.

Right now as the game sits it really is fair to easy to abuse the game.  There are no set limits and nothing ever increases in cost.  But The exchange rate and the bonus HPD from gold has increased.   When I went gold I got 500 hpd.   Now you get 4000 HPD.   That is 8 times the HPD when nothing has changed in price.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

hmm. nice ideas, but i do believe a 10% failure chance to utterly render your software unusuable is a bit harsh...

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:07:53 PM »

hmm. nice ideas, but i do believe a 10% failure chance to utterly render your software unusuable is a bit harsh...

Any harsher than overclocking your CPU by 10% for a good chance at frying it?

Granted those that are Gold are practically immune to it but still.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »

maybe reset it tops, because a 1/10 for utterly destroy? no.......... takes up too much time and resources to download and store bypass/breaks

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »

I like open ended with no caps, but sometimes it is imperative to cap things...  14 but software is good with no cap.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »

I like open ended with no caps, but sometimes it is imperative to cap things...  14 but software is good with no cap.

eventually server can't run without hardware tho...........

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »

hardware is good with no cap... anyway there is a cap, it's the limitation of how many digits the server can store for one variable, float or integer... it just takes a few years to reach.

ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »

I'm going to post based on my own game. The game I speak of is a Pencil and Paper combat game I'm working into an RPG. The core mechanic is you take your EXP in a skill, add a d100, and your opponent does the same. High roll wins.

In the beginning, EXP was gained based on one's opponent's skills: If we were evenly matched, we had the same chance to gain EXP, no matter who won. If I was better, and I won, it was harder for me to gain EXP if I won, and easier for you. There was no cap, except that provided by your opponent's abilities (if you were too much better than them, you couldn't gain EXP from them). The exact chances have been tweaked over time, and still get tweaked occasionally.

However, there was one problem with this: I could spend a long time trading blows with a creature slightly more powerful than me, then fight a weaker creature, and be practically invincible. I could spend time advancing some other skill up to a point where I could take on creatures as powerful as me with it.

I've messed with caps since then, but where it's at now is that after a certain point, your advancement slows down. In my game, which has a fantasy theme, I can divide characters into classes, and vary how much it slows down (Fighters don't slow down much when they hit the cap in Melee combat, but stop almost completely if they hit the cap in anything Magic related). Not sure if you can do that in this game, although it might be an idea to bring up later.

The second way to advance is to kill monsters. When you kill an enemy, you get a small EXP bonus, which can go wherever you want. This has gone through several phases:

During the first phase, it was a flat amount based on the monster. This broke down because you could kill weak creatures which couldn't threaten you, and which you would gain nothing from through an entire battle because they were that much worse than you. But when they died: free EXP. Even in that skill you had capped.

So I made you roll for it, same as if you won a roll against them. I'm thinking over this summer how to change this a little, because there are some things you can spend EXP from one neglected skill on, and benefit a skill you've gotten really good at.

Where I'm going with this is that capping skills is useful, but you don't want to make in an absolute cap. Ideally, you set it up so that people who are ahead of the curve are slowed down, so that they stay ahead, but can't be complacent; while people who are behind the curve are sped up, but not so much that they can overtake someone who is working just as hard as them, but got a head start.

With the current system, I'm willing to bet Soviet could take a day or two off (maybe longer), and still be on top. If not, he'd still be in the top ten: X Ray, at 9, is 1/10 as powerful as Soviet is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

What I suggest is that there be three restrictions:

1) Each person has a hidden value based on who they are hacking and being hacked by: perhaps the average value of the Power of each interaction (an interaction is a crack, a debug, a virus capture, or any such thing. The power of the interaction is the Power of they player it is with, reduced if they are unsuccessful for any reason). If this hidden value is lower that their own power, their research slows down. This should never stop a player; but it should be able to slow them down noticeably.

2) Overloading X(n) should increase the costs (n)fold, but increase the effective version by the base version times Sum(1/2, 1/3,...,1/(n)); or have some other limitation that means that the more you put in, the more you get, but in diminishing amounts.

3) Hardware costs should increase by 1% the base costs per previous upgrade. Yes you can always buy more computation power, but it costs money to buy the space to put it, and to make sure it's working with everything else; and as you get more, that gets more and more costly.

Finally, as a bonus, whenever you use a program to beat a better program, there should be a small chance that you find a way to optimize the software slightly, adding less than .001 to the software used. Likewise, if you beat a program better than one you have, the same things happens: A small chance for a minor upgrade. These small upgrades will keep newer players advancing, while making the better players tend to seek out challenges.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 04:22:41 AM »

maybe reset it tops, because a 1/10 for utterly destroy? no.......... takes up too much time and resources to download and store bypass/breaks

Mind you as is right now Overload is more powerful than the negative reprecussions it provides.  That is why I gave a 1%, 5%, or 10%.  At least I think I did ;)  as it stands right now you could have gobs of CPU and Memory and never research Password Break or Firewall Bypass and still have a chance at breaking the top notch defensive software.

Take Neo's current actions since he was kicked from SGP for not playing by the rules.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »

I disagree.   Mainly because of usefulness.  Right now the most useful software in the game is Delete.  Nothing other than Delete.  With Delete you can make yourself untouchable.  Granted IP Change is more powerful and cheaper to use in the short run but still.

Mind you these suggestions would also drastically hurt SGP as a whole.   It would also keep the bell curve more in tune instead of a small group of people pulling far ahead of everyone else.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 06:41:28 AM »

I think the 10% crash rate being could be a good ideea but maybe we can add on one more extra to the server hard ware, cooling. I know a guy that in real life he overclocks his computer so much he needs liquid nitrogen to cool the prosser. Cus of his cooling his computer has never crashed. So maybe there could be temepeture and when you over load you program the failure rate can be reduced.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:37:17 AM by Nagitof » Logged

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »

I disagree.   Mainly because of usefulness.  Right now the most useful software in the game is Delete.  Nothing other than Delete.  With Delete you can make yourself untouchable.  Granted IP Change is more powerful and cheaper to use in the short run but still.

Mind you these suggestions would also drastically hurt SGP as a whole.   It would also keep the bell curve more in tune instead of a small group of people pulling far ahead of everyone else.

i wish. Stupid anti-hacker missions and ip buying circumvent that philosophy of stealth =/

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »

this is all true, and maybe we should also have cooling in hardware? with us being able to run only as much as our cooling allows??? would be a good way to slow progress down and keep things reasonable!

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »

Glad you like the idea i just hope that the Administrator thinks so to.The cooling is mainly for the overloading. What I mean is that your server will have a starting cooling systeme, it can be called "Cooling Power" and measured in electricity so"Watts" so 100 watts. The server cooling default would run at 50 watts. When overloading a program the heat of the processor will start going up when the cooling power load average is over 51% there is a chance that that file will crash. The closer to 100% it gets the more likely it will crash.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »

the crash! i can agree with, straight delete, NO!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: