The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 25, 2024, 12:35:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sugg. File similar to virus identifier for servers  (Read 5151 times)
HJ®
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »

Can we get a file to somehow determine the owner of a server hidden behind a different name?
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

that would defeat the purpose of changing the names... and than why would anyone want to go gold anymore?

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »

The purpose of changing the name isnt to disguise who it is but to only be an extra for gold members.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

Changing name is more for organizational I think. It helps you keep track of serveral servers you have without having to memorize which is which.

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

that would defeat the purpose of changing the names... and than why would anyone want to go gold anymore?

VI defeats the purpose of changing virii file names, so why don't we do away with that?

It is a good suggestion HJ.  Would it be nmap scanner style where you enter an IP or would it be breaker style that you have to connect to the server and run it from the connect menu?  Would you have to be admin to run it on a server?

J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »

Heh, HJ, didn't use your own suggestion form tsk.tsk.tsk.
Anyway elaborate please HJ.

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
HJ®
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »

no
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »

so just making a random suggestion without elaborating?

HJ®
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »

no
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:45:02 AM »

This is a... I dont know really. You change the name of your server so you can hack and not worry about getting in trouble with other players, getting hell from the person you hacked, or not worry about someone attcking one of your other servers. At first it was all low level attacks, so there was not much lost. But now peopel are more powerful and can do a lot more damage faster, so theres a lot lost.

And you cant do a thing about it cause; 1-You dont know who did it, 2-The sever it self is alwas changing IPs, 3-Even if you hack it, most of the programs are some what different from there others so you cant compare to someone else. 4-Even if you hack them and delete there hacking tools, they ussauly have backup on their Gold FTP.

And it ruins something that we do with others; 1-You cant warn people about these players, 2-You and your friend cant trace him/her (but i dont think many girls play) and 'explain' to him what he is doing WILL get you into trouble, 3-You dont know if this person is one of your best friends in the game.

I have 5 servers, 4 of them have my user name in the title, the other one is called a random word, so if I get hacked on all my servers I still have that one that the wouldn't be known as mine.

Changing name is more for organizational I think. It helps you keep track of serveral servers you have without having to memorize which is which.

Thats what changing the servers name should be used for.

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 02:03:35 AM »

Oh ya, I remember someone once said that if you check the 'source code' on the page of that mystery server when you first connect, it should say who it belong to. I dont know if it works but someone said it does.

Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »

Changing names of servers is a major bonus of Gold. Gold FTP is certainly very nice, but the name change thing is absolutely fantastic in the long run - most of my key programs are too big to fit on the Gold FTP but the name change option really helps to keep them safe in backup servers.

So... I disagree. Changing names is one of the great bonuses of Gold. Nerfing it... well I can see why but I for one happen to like anonymity.

coffee1
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: