The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 09, 2024, 06:48:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Virus and Server Bandwidth  (Read 11304 times)
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion on how virii and bandwidth works with servers.

Change it so Virii no longer take up bandwidth on a server.

Instead, the BW (of the server) determines how much HPD can be collected per hour.

So a FileShare .3 could collect up to the 150 BW limit it normally gets, but doesn't use of the bandwidth.

BUT, if another person were to install a FS .3 then the HPD would be divided amongst both virii (whether they collected or not).  So with both virii on the server the max that could be gotten by each would be 75 HPD per hour.

Eventually servers would start to become saturated with virii as everyone starts uploading their own virii.  This would result in more disinfect missions against the virii. 

With this change SpyWare will become more powerful.  Now potentially dozens of virii could be snagged by a spyware.  Some changed might be needed here, something along the lines of a percentage chance of snagging the income and/or IP of the virii owner instead of a 100% chance as it is now.  Each virii stream would be checked separately.  The higher the SpyWare the higher the chance.  In addition, .3 FS would be much harder to snag than a .3 Adware.  The Bandwidth usage may be the factor here for determining chance of theft...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:46:14 AM by Brok Ironfist » Logged

Exousia
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »

Interesting.  21
LordWicked

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »

Interesting.  21

I agree, I like
Hatejacket
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:22 AM »

I like this idea as well.
WolfDoc
Select Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »

I like it except the

BUT, if another person were to install a FS .3 then the HPD would be divided amongst both virii (whether they collected or not).  So with both virii on the server the max that could be gotten by each would be 75 HPD per hour.

Part

if using the equivalent of 150 BW i want to get payed for 150 BW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »

I like it except the

Part

if using the equivalent of 150 BW i want to get payed for 150 BW

Nope.  Reason I put it that was was to prevent them from becoming huge farms for a single player.  You put a bunch of 150 BW FS out there then you end up with farm for that player.

Forcing it to split amongst all virii allows smaller players to get their finger in the pot, but also opens up major disinfect wars as people try and clear up servers so they get a bigger cut.  This would also allow more people opportunity to disinfect virii without the huge repercussions as they are now.  Right now a single FS .3 takes up all bandwidth and very easy to track down who is disinfecting. 

You get 10-15 virii on there and a bunch of disinfects then, well you got yourself more fun  laugh

Disinfect HPD might need reduction to compensate for lots of disinfectable virii.

In addition, if you want a bigger part of the pie, you install more virii thus getting a bigger split.

This would then free up the BW for more missions that could use BW (other than the actual uploading of virii, but that could be another mission to kill that virii upload process -- more pay than the current $250 mission and only collectible by the person killing the process).

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »

Sounds kinda complicated, maybe when you collect it has red text like
"Multiple Virii Inclusion, Collect split X4"

or somethign  21

Exousia
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but that's sort of how SlaveHack virii work. The payout is diminished by how many virii are attempting to use the available bandwidth.

Under this suggestion, the bandwidth usage would be the maximum and the virii would take "shares" of what's available up to their maximum to determine the payout. The formula would not be overly complicated. This would allow even noobs to upload and install virii on servers already saturated with virii and still get something. This would also drastically increase the number of available disinfect missions and give an incentive to eliminate and/or defend virii.

We could apply this principle to upload/download bandwidth sharing. We can set the transfer rate up to the maximum bandwidth between the sender and receiver, whichever is lower, but that would only be a share of the bandwidth. Each transfer diminishes transfer rate because you are splitting the target's attention. This could be used as a tactic to frustrate another player's transfer or as an incentive to trace a process and shut down the transfer to increase the speed of your own.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »

Sounds kinda complicated, maybe when you collect it has red text like
"Multiple Virii Inclusion, Collect split X4"

or somethign  21

Basically this is what I was thinking:

A server has 200 BW.  It therefore generates 200 HPD per hour.

Someone installs a FileShare Share .2 which steals 100 HPD per hour.
Another person install a FileShare .2 which also steals 100 HPD per hour.  Total is now 200 HPD stolen per hour.

Someone else comes along and installs a File Share .4 which steals 200 HPD per hour.  Total Stolen i now 400 HPD per hour.  

Since BW is only 200, the HPD is divided amongst all installed virii.

Each .2 would get 50 HPD and the .4 would get 100 HPD per hour.

It doesn't matter how many times you collect, the ratio is always the same.  This allows someone to collect once a day or every 10 minutes if they so choose.  It does the checking when the person collects.  It doesn't need to try and determine if at a given period of time someone else installed or disinfected a virii.

When the person goes to collect it'll just tell them how much HPD they collected.

If someone wants to disinfect all the other virii before they collect, then when they collect they get the whole amount.

As an aside, this would allow SirEmi to increase bandwidth on many of the servers to facilitate faster uploads and downloads.  I would also expect to see much more virii action in the game as a result.

Maybe, even enough to get rid of barons  laugh

GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »

I do not like this idea unless we take off the cap of 200 secret servers and go back to more spawning every day to give people a chance to try to snag a blank server to upload virii. With the IP leech you can install an network of them on secret servers to find new ones before other people do. Also since the ip dealer gives ips in and not in your ip database we do not have people like SGP buying the ip before other people do.

This would also allow more people opportunity to disinfect virii without the huge repercussions as they are now.

How? People will still try to defend their virii and with a process tracer I trace you in 30 minutes or less overload my software and kill all your processes. What we really need to do is get rid of software overloading.

Also how would this suggestion work on private servers?

The level of tyranny that you will live under is the level of tyranny that you will tolerate.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »

LOL.  Glitch.  When this round started I snagged every d**ned secret server and kept them filled with my virii for the first month.  I had something like 160 active File Share virii going at all times. As new servers spawned I grabbed them too.  Ask Alpha and Ivan how much of a pain it was to take my servers away, or to get theirs going.

If someone attempted to disinfect my virii I would hunt them down and stop them.  If they continued I'd cause damage.

200 is plenty of secret servers, especially with less than 20 active players.

What I am proposing would stop what I was capable of doing.  Anyone and everyone would start uploading virii to all the servers.  Thus the more virii being uploaded the bigger player would get less of the chunk of income. 

Getting Secret Server IP's is EASY cakes if you know how.  No purchasing necessary.  I can go from having the only secret server at the start to having them all in less than a day. 

As for disinfecting, you start getting alot of people installing virii and I'll guarantee the disinfects will skyrocket.  There was only a couple of people attempting to disinfect me.  A few time of me hitting their servers and they backed down real quick.  Get everyone installing and disinfecting and you'll be very sore trying to track them all down.

After the first month I had plenty of income from my virii that I started mass producing the barons.  As I built them up, I started to let others install their on virii. 

As for private servers, I would say the same thing.  100 BW = 100 HPD per hour.  Just like it is now.  Multiple people attempting to install virii on a private server only degrades their income if they reach the players bandwidth limit.  Plus, this would prevent those of us who would take all bandwidth on a private server with our virii.  Those are much freer or problems than secret servers (at least the AFK players).

For Robber Barons the server it is installed on has to have at least 1500 BW for it to work.  Someone who installs virii on their box would start taking away from the barons income in the same fashion.

1500 total bandwidth, a .1 baron installed = 1500 Income (actually 1200 if you take into the .8 factor).

Someone installs a .3 fileshare now they baron gets ~90% of the income and the player gets ~10%.

This here allows even more PVP.  Files become that much easier to steal.  Spyware easier to upload.  Malware easier to upload.  On top of all that you can start filling up their server and stealing some of their income.  That fileshare not only reduced their baron income but collects against the player.

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but that's sort of how SlaveHack virii work. The payout is diminished by how many virii are attempting to use the available bandwidth.

Nice.  I just went and signed up for SlaveHack.  That is exactly what I am talking about.  The first server I just hit had over 20 active virii on it.  I just collected and got 2 dollars for an hours worth of virii activity.  Not only were there tons of virii but I was able to download the files on it with no problem....

and HP has taught me that the LogFile is super important.  Although, not sure about being able to delete the whole thing.  Seems strange, although probably more realistic.  Much different than Uplink.

Is there a way to bounce?  I can't seem to find that ability.

Thanks for the pointer on SlaveHack, Exousia.  But that just goes to show that my idea has merit.

GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

Nice.  I just went and signed up for SlaveHack.  That is exactly what I am talking about.  The first server I just hit had over 20 active virii on it.  I just collected and got 2 dollars for an hours worth of virii activity.  Not only were there tons of virii but I was able to download the files on it with no problem....

and HP has taught me that the LogFile is super important.  Although, not sure about being able to delete the whole thing.  Seems strange, although probably more realistic.  Much different than Uplink.

Is there a way to bounce?  I can't seem to find that ability.

Thanks for the pointer on SlaveHack, Exousia.  But that just goes to show that my idea has merit.

No you cannot bounce. By the way Brok if you need any money I have 27343225.84 euros in my bank account on SlaveHack. That is what you get with a persistent game people who do not give a crap.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:36:58 PM by GlitchH4xor » Logged

The level of tyranny that you will live under is the level of tyranny that you will tolerate.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »

No you cannot bounce. By the way Brok if you need any money I have like 25 mil in one of my bank accounts on SlaveHack. That is what you get with a persistent game people who do not give a crap.

I'm fine.  Although it looks like my bank account just got hacked.  Not sure how that happened.

GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »

200 is plenty of secret servers, especially with less than 20 active players.

As for disinfecting, you start getting alot of people installing virii and I'll guarantee the disinfects will skyrocket.  There was only a couple of people attempting to disinfect me.  A few time of me hitting their servers and they backed down real quick.  Get everyone installing and disinfecting and you'll be very sore trying to track them all down.

Tracking down less that 20 people? That is not hard. Besides if you lower the reward for disinfects then less people will do them because you get less money. Just like in business the less you pay someone, the less qualified are the people who apply for the job.
Also if you are going to reduce the reward we better speed up the time to disinfect.

What I am proposing would stop what I was capable of doing.  Anyone and everyone would start uploading virii to all the servers.  Thus the more virii being uploaded the bigger player would get less of the chunk of income.

Not really newbies would log in to the server see that it is completely saturated with virii and say "oh well something is better than nothing." So the big player upload their large virii and take all profits while the newbies are left with crumbs that too small even for a mouse. So it would not stop what you are doing just make it more sophisticated.

Getting Secret Server IP's is EASY cakes if you know how.  No purchasing necessary.  I can go from having the only secret server at the start to having them all in less than a day. 

I know but in Round 1 of hacker project SGP, the number one group, since they controlled many of the secret servers they would buy ips from the ip dealer when new secret servers spawned because back then the ip dealer gave only ips not in your ip database and did not cost ap. So using their wealth they would buy up all the secret server ips before everyone else and install more virii. I just do not want a similar situation where large established players have totalitarian dominion over everything.

As for disinfecting, you start getting alot of people installing virii and I'll guarantee the disinfects will skyrocket.  There was only a couple of people attempting to disinfect me.  A few time of me hitting their servers and they backed down real quick.  Get everyone installing and disinfecting and you'll be very sore trying to track them all down.

I do not think so because why disinfect when you would just install a high version virii? It takes a day and a half to disinfect a v.3 fileshare obviously it would be better to upload and install a higher version virii. If secret servers did not change ip that would help because then would be a reason to disinfect instead oh lets just wait until it changes ip then install since they guys got their viruses disconnected.

As for private servers, I would say the same thing.  100 BW = 100 HPD per hour.  Just like it is now.  Multiple people attempting to install virii on a private server only degrades their income if they reach the players bandwidth limit.  Plus, this would prevent those of us who would take all bandwidth on a private server with our virii.  Those are much freer of problems than secret servers (at least the AFK players).

I was just wondering because if bandwidth is what determines income then what stops me fron installing a .1 baron and just increasing the bandwidth continuously? By the way the conversion  100 BW =  100 HPD per hour is low if people are sharing a server it should be like 100 BW = 500 HPD per hour or more because at least that way the little person that you seem care so much about can at least get more than 1 HPD per hour.

No you cannot bounce. By the way Brok if you need any money I have like 25 mil in one of my bank accounts on SlaveHack. That is what you get with a persistent game people who do not give a crap.

I'm fine.  Although it looks like my bank account just got hacked.  Not sure how that happened.

Since its takes at a minimum of 5 seconds to change the log someone was probably log camping and grabbed your ip.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:18:10 PM by GlitchH4xor » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: