The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 09, 2024, 10:50:20 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Virus disinfect mission - Suggestion  (Read 2311 times)
Witcher

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »

I find that virus disinfect missions are just weird...

A few things I have found:

1) Virus disinfect missions give good cash - so good in fact people spend time installing viruses... and then killing their own virii!!!
2) Trying to install a virus as a newbie on a public server is a very very frustrating waste of time. I know that there is a small chance there will be no mission generated, but it takes a lot of your meager resources to get a virus up and running... and often it's killed within hours. (Ok not if it's a file share virus, but those take even longer to do anything)
3) Virii installed by the stronger players are kept in place by the threat of retaliation from the stronger players.

Ok so here is my suggestion:

Have the rewards for virii disinfect missions scale up with time.

Literally they should be small to start with, but the longer a virus runs on a given machine, the higher the reward would go up.

Possible scenarios - run checks every 6 hours a virus is running (maybe have different times for different virii) say give it a 50% chance for the reward to go up. Start with a base reward which is maybe 20% of the current reward. As time passes the reward becomes more and more important... to the point when someone will attempt the disinfect mission even against the big virii out there (though for the sake of balance a cap should be placed on the reward offered maybe)

This could work in one of two ways: 1) A new mission is generated. Thus there are several missions available for each virus (cumulative returns) or 2) The value of existing missions is increased. The question with the second option is how much does someone get paid - the value of the mission when they accepted the mission or the value of the mission when they completed the mission? (The second case is somewhat open to abuse when someone completes a mission but does "not" press "complete" while waiting for the value of the mission to increase)...

Ok just some ideas from a younger player 17

coffee1
HJ®
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »

I dont know about you, but this just gives 2 more unbalancing features if you ask me:

- It gives players even more of a push to use Virus Breaker
- Other players with their virii already installed will start using PvP tactics to keep their virii up as long as possible.

Now we all know PvP is a bad thing, as every time it gets used in a major way it gets nerfed. Newbie Protection + AP help this. Think about it:

A player is no longer protected when:
CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR
(not logged in for the last 7 days)

OKay, so I just wont increase my CPU or BW for 2 months on my 2nd account, and let the HPD add up. I'm untouchable.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »

I dont know about you, but this just gives 2 more unbalancing features if you ask me:

- It gives players even more of a push to use Virus Breaker
- Other players with their virii already installed will start using PvP tactics to keep their virii up as long as possible.

I am pretty sure I don't follow you...

If the initial reward of a virus disinfect mission is low I would think people would be more likely to actually install virii rather than steal them as they could reap some of the rewards of having the virus installed before it got killed due to a virus disinfect mission. As it is now virus disinfect missions are accepted as soon as they appear and your only chance is to hope that you don't generate a virus disinfect.

I am pretty sure players are already using PvP tactics to keep up their virii as long as possible - again I am not at all sure how this would change things. Unless you mean people trying to keep up virii going for a longer time in order to perform the disinfect mission themselves... (personally I am not sure you should even be allowed to disinfect your own virii... you aren't allowed to perform anti-hacker missions against yourself either  16)

coffee1
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: