The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 09, 2024, 06:45:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Upgrading Insted of Redownloading.  (Read 3636 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

This might be hard to explain. So right now you and your freind might be trading software. So each time one of you have a new version, your freind needs to redownload the whole file again. Then you need to delete your old version right after. That takes alot of time and some AP. What I was thinking, if your already have that type of Program, you dont need to download the whole next version, insted you upgrade your current one.

E.G.

You have a v1 log deleter and your friend has a v2.

So you go to the public FTP, and beside the download for the v2 log deleter theres an opption for upgrade, you click on it. Then before it starts it will ask you which one of the log deleters you have you would like to upgrade. You choose your v1. So insted of downloading the full 100mb, you only need to downlaod the differents. So you would only need to download the 50mb differents.

Now insted of have 2 different versions of the same file, you now have only have the original but its now a v2. The ID# wouldnt change.

This idea has to be worth a gold medal.   first\

Edit- Horrible grammer.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:01:16 PM by Nagitof » Logged

Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

Yeah, I actually like this; if we need a more "realistic" mechanic behind it, perhaps we could have patch files or something. That way, the person you're downloading from has to actually WANT you to have an easier time downloading it, because they'd have to host the patch in addition to the original file.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »

What if it only worked on the files on the FTP? That would somewhat mean the owner of the file would want you to upgrade.

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »

Or a 'create patch' option next to run/install/hide and the others. After selecting and confirming (or simply pressing) you write how much beneath the current level you want making a patch like v1.0-1.5. That makes it impossible to patch any software under 1.0.
You can also place this feature in the research tab.
How far beneath you want to patch is limited by hardware and, of course, it takes more time to create a bigger patch but not as long as researching (with 1 task).

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »

It should need some little time more because of compile phase. What about 10 minutes for that?

Also I think the upgrade should make the system gets some "crap" (a 1% of all the total final program size), that needs of a special program for deleting.

If other person picks up that "crap" and DL it, they can upgrade only using 10 minutes although DL all the differences because that file has got the main core engine inside.

A little size increase each time you upgrade would not be bad.

EoD's forums

~~ Human ~~ EoD Co-Leader
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »

I also thought that because it is updating, the program should be running, like when you research. So when updating it would us whatever resourses the program (before the upgrade) would need, then added on what ever the bandwidth speed of the update is.

sjums07
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:53:19 AM »

i actually like that idea :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: