The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 05, 2024, 12:45:35 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: download manager  (Read 18262 times)
ivandrago
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:49:52 PM »

Got another suggestion:

Let's introduce a new piece of software: the download manager.

If someone has this piece of software running (not installed) on his own gateway while he is stealing/downloading a file then there's a chance that he can resume his download when it get's aborted. He'll just have to find the exact same version of that particular file (not neccesarily on the same server).

The higher the version of downloadmanager, the higher the chance of succesfully resuming a download.
Sjums07

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »

Also make it possible that there's a percenage chance it can complete a download 1
ivandrago
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:15:22 PM »

Or accelerate a download ?

I'm deliberitely just talking about downloads and not about uploads ....
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:52:26 PM »

it would be nice also to manage downloads by what server you are getting it from in your manage transfers screen

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »

You actually want to make it possible to continue downloading a file. Huge files which are almost impossible to download unless the target is offline for x days, can be downloaded then.

Interesting idea imo since it makes it possible to download each file and not just those 'small' enough. It adds another activity to the game (looking for that d**n file you started downloading yesterday but couldn't complete since it's xxx Gb) and slightly stimulates the PVP aspect.

ivandrago
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:10 AM »

My point exactly.
And you'd have to keep the file running until the download is completed. If you (or someone else) kills the download manager there will be no chance to resume downloading.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »

My point exactly.
And you'd have to keep the file running until the download is completed. If you (or someone else) kills the download manager there will be no chance to resume downloading.

Fairly balanced also since people with such huge files have other good software too to protect themselves.

Question is.. Can it be implemented? Tri, what do you think?
Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »

My point exactly.
Fairly balanced also since people with such huge files have other good software too to protect themselves.

Question is.. Can it be implemented? Tri, what do you think?

would be an easy fix IMHO

find the section that deals with the ip change and process termination

atm the software just kills the transfer - switch it to :-

if the downloaded file is lower version than running "download resumer" change ip to "lost" or "127.0.0.1" and set speed as "0.0"
if the downloaded file is higher then kill process as normal

in the local files killed section - if "downloader resumer" is killed then kill all processes that are "0.0"

shouldn't be too hard to implement.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »

stamp it reviewed and send it up

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

Interesting and fairly realistic idea, but when downloading IRL if the connection from the server is terminated, the download stops and you have to start from 0% again, whereas with a download manager, it can resume from where it last left off. So (back ingame)
If you're downloading a file from a gateway, with the download manager running, then you go bed, in the morning you notice the download has stalled in the manager at say 50%, which is because the server dropped the process, and probably changed IP, in order to resume that download you would have to hunt down the same server (as long as it still contains the file) or find the exact same piece of software elsewhere to continue the download....

Sounds like a good idea, i dont know why i jsut wrote it out like that, i guess i needed to get my head around it my own way....
But i think it would be less abuseable if you HAD to get it from the same server, else people will downlaod manager every file they want, leave it hanging at whatever percent and continue it whenever they find that file anywhere, which could make it too easy maybe....

Once again, too tired to think straight, and typed alot more than i expected...

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:36 PM »

but say a group of 6 people have a v300 log deleter, you want it, and found one of the servers that have it. You dl down to 99% and it gets terminated, why not find one of the other people that have it in order to complete the dl, there are only 5 other people with it.
I think it would be hard enough to find an exact same file to complete the dl, that you can get it from anywhere that has the same file. (if someone has a 300.0001, you cannot just complete off of that one...)

Exousia
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »

How would you mark this as the same file? One or more of those people could research it up and it would be a different file. Another could rename it, but it would be the same file. Other than the file ID and name, which change as files are copied between servers, you would add a new complication to file identification?
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »

I think in this game, after a file is researched, it should get a different file number that you cannot see, which changes every time it is researched, but does not change when it gets copied. since renaming is done through research, I think that it should count as a different file. The reason why is because in the real world, when two companies make similar programs, and have the same version number, you cannot take 50% of one and 50% of the other, put them together and get a working program. that should make it hard enough to use it.

I think it should be just any file of same type and version, else it would be useless for most people, and in this game when two people research the same file to the same version, they are still the same.

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »

i think it would be less abuseable if you HAD to get it from the same server, else people will downlaod manager every file they want, leave it hanging at whatever percent and continue it whenever they find that file anywhere, which could make it too easy maybe....

the 72 hour rule would kick in making this argument moot
ivandrago
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »

i think it would be less abuseable if you HAD to get it from the same server, else people will downlaod manager every file they want, leave it hanging at whatever percent and continue it whenever they find that file anywhere, which could make it too easy maybe....

the 72 hour rule would kick in making this argument moot

And don't forget about the fact that someone else can kill the download manager for you
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: