The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 10, 2024, 07:44:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Connect from last bounced system  (Read 4206 times)
Maeyanie

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), right now, "Bounce" always adds another system to the proxy list, where "Connect" dumps the whole list and starts over.

It would be nice if "Connect" went from the last proxy instead, so one could keep a chain of several proxies linked and just change the endpoint.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »

They both serve a different purpose.

Connect is a DIRECT link to the server.  This can be very useful.

Bounce does just like you say.  Bounce is good for hiding your tracks.  Completing several bounces then installing software, disinfecting or copying files is better than just connecting to a server.

One thing you want to do is hide your tracks on the first bounce.  Change the logs, don't just delete them.  Deleting is a BIG RED FLAG saying "player trying to hide their tracks".  Just replace your IP address with another.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »

or on a players server admin [localhost], Basic Log UnDeleter [Log UnDeleter] successfully stopped.

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Maeyanie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »

Connect is a DIRECT link to the server.  This can be very useful.
Yes, but if it were changed to Connect changing the last hop only, the same could be done by using "Disconnect" followed by "Connect."

Bounce does just like you say.  Bounce is good for hiding your tracks.  Completing several bounces then installing software, disinfecting or copying files is better than just connecting to a server.
Exactly. But it would be nice to be able to use the same bounce chain more than once, instead of having to rebuild it each time you want to change the last hop.

One thing you want to do is hide your tracks on the first bounce.  Change the logs, don't just delete them.  Deleting is a BIG RED FLAG saying "player trying to hide their tracks".  Just replace your IP address with another.
And wouldn't it be nice to only have to do that once, instead of every time?

Plus it makes sense... if you're sitting in the system, admin access, proxy activated, why can't it reconnect to a different system?

Also, as it stands... there is no way to connect through a bounce chain to an endpoint where you don't have admin access. Which, while it doesn't really matter that much since cracking admin makes no log entry, also doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:59:54 PM by Maeyanie » Logged
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »

Because if we were to be able to bounce through systems without ADMIN access then it would make it easy for us to bounce through another player and leaving their tracks throughout the web...

As for the bounce chain being remembered.  That was a suggestion a while ago.  I still like that idea.

Basically, you create a chain and then save it.  In the future you can reuse that bounce chain automatically.

Remember though, you only are allowed to bounce through 20 systems before you maxed your bounce limit as well.

Maeyanie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »

Because if we were to be able to bounce through systems without ADMIN access then it would make it easy for us to bounce through another player and leaving their tracks throughout the web...

I didn't say through a non-admin. That would both be broken and not make sense. I said using one as an endpoint.
I.e. bounce through 3 systems with admin, then connect to a non-admin system, when trying to break into it or download public files or whatever.

Saving chains would be one way of doing it... personally I'd use the RL-like way of just being able to disconnect the last host and connect to a different one instead, like typing "exit" on the shell followed by "ssh user@example.com" on the next line.

Remember though, you only are allowed to bounce through 20 systems before you maxed your bounce limit as well.
This is actually why I'm suggesting it... right now, it's all or nothing. You can only either add a system to the end of the chain until you run out of hops, or start over from the beginning. There's no middle ground. IMHO, there should be.
I guess it would also work to just be able to disconnect some of the systems in the chain, and otherwise leave everything as it is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:58:36 PM by Maeyanie » Logged
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »

I didn't say through a non-admin. That would both be broken and not make sense. I said using one as an endpoint.
I.e. bounce through 3 systems with admin, then connect to a non-admin system, when trying to break into it or download public files or whatever.

Saving chains would be one way of doing it... personally I'd use the RL-like way of just being able to disconnect the last host and connect to a different one instead, like typing "exit" on the shell followed by "ssh user@example.com" on the next line.

This is actually why I'm suggesting it... right now, it's all or nothing. You can only either add a system to the end of the chain until you run out of hops, or start over from the beginning. There's no middle ground. IMHO, there should be.
I guess it would also work to just be able to disconnect some of the systems in the chain, and otherwise leave everything as it is.

For cracking an admin of a server, there is no need to bounce. You will not leave any logs when starting a crack process. So we don't need to bounce and connect to a non-admin  on the end.

However, I think it may be possible to do a disconnect last host button. This will take off the last host off your bounce chain, allowing you to continue actions on another host end, and then disconnect last again and again and further re-use the chain. I've noted the idea and will test it out.

Thank you.

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »

However, I think it may be possible to do a disconnect last host button. This will take off the last host off your bounce chain, allowing you to continue actions on another host end, and then disconnect last again and again and further re-use the chain. I've noted the idea and will test it out.

Thank you.

That is an interesting idea.  Would prevent the need to start another chain, but also remove a large extra chunk of extra hops being created again.    It really would be create less connection points to trace the person and make it easier to find them.

Maeyanie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

However, I think it may be possible to do a disconnect last host button. This will take off the last host off your bounce chain, allowing you to continue actions on another host end, and then disconnect last again and again and further re-use the chain.
That would do the job nicely.

Thank you.
No, thank you. 1
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »

yeah i never got how one was to bounce when if i connected it showed mine anyway

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: