The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 18, 2024, 05:31:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Secret Server Patch #3  (Read 3702 times)
HJ®
« on: December 24, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »

I don't know if it's actually Patch #3, but there have been some significant changes to the secret servers and I think it's time for a drastic one.

Taken directly from my conversation with siremi:

What would you say if the secret servers would change IP once in a while?

Now this won't be sudden or anything, they would change IP randomly on periods ranging from 7 days - 14 days.
You would see a localhost process on them stating the time left until the IP change...

When they change IP, all virii lose connection, all missions on it are revoked, all IP Db data needs to be found again  laugh

Would that make things more interesting?

If the IP change happened at the same time the server upgraded, that's just fine. I haven't needed to hunt a secret IP in over a week because I have them all. Jager, one of my trusted group members, manages to keep our secret IP list updated almost every day with protection levels. He also attempts to keep every one cracked and does a d**n good job in doing so.

Of course, the HDD overload problem would need to be fixed.

Perhaps the servers would format HDD with a change of IP? That way the HDD overload problem can be more easily solved, and the format can come with an IP change. Protection levels can be changed at that point, and thus they wouldn't be entirely out of the blue. Instead of having the secrets full of unconnected virii (Which we can do nothing about except use a virus breaker, in which case the servers will eventually be formatting + changing IP before a virus capture completes it's task) This would also be a legitimate reason for all of the missions to be nixed.

I think if this were to happen, when you lose a mission, it should not read: # mission(s) have been removed having been completed by someone else!

Instead it should read: # mission(s) have been revoked by the Mega-Corporations!

What do you think, Emi?
HJ®
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

To elaborate, and modify:

I think the secret servers should start a format HDD with IP Change as often as possible while skipping 7 days in between. Due to the fact that you can only format with IP change once per week, combined with the format time, I think this is a very realistic way to upgrade the secret servers and maintain a level of PvP.

It would go something like this:

- 0.1 Secret starts a F /W IPC
- All members can view the timer but can not kill it
- completes the F /W IPC, IP is changed, server is formatted (To get rid of unconnected virii and all missions on the server)
- Server upgrades (To avoid overloading HDD's, also seems like the optimal time to upgrade a server so it is not random)
- Wait 7 Days
- Upgraded Secret Starts a F /W IPC

Repeat, etc.

The timer takes longer due to the server upgrades, so it will balance itself out with the growth of each round.

All in all this may not be the best suggestion to hit these forums but I believe it is a severe improvement to the current state of the game. What do you guys think?
J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »

+Sponsorship

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »

Sounds good, I will start the work on this project  1

Succubus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »

I think this is a good idea, but it will hurt the larger missions, that take longer to complete. Some missions take a month to do, and if it's reformatting or changing IP in less time, we'll be left with a bunch of missions that are worthless. How do you suggest addressing that?

Oh crappy crapperson, -ton, dot org.
HJ®
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

I dont think those missions should exist.
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »

you mean missions like

Delete file   
We need someone to hack into an enemy server.
You need to delete / purge a file from the system.
The file is # 143683, Special File Share Anti-Virus V 6.33084
After hacking into the system, access Files / Programs and start the delete process. Complete the delete process from the Running Software. It usually takes a bit of time to delete... depends on the file size. Then just relay the completion data so we can transfer the reward.

Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 03:51:45 AM »

Good luck Jager!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: