The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 26, 2024, 10:51:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Don't be evil."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 44678 times)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

Endless time loop!?

You didn't choose to post here because you choose to post here, you choose to post here because you decided to choose to post here  13

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »

or i made no decision and somthing jolts my arm forcing my finger down on the mouse clicking the post button leaving it out of the matter

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »

I dunno, it'd take alot of lucky jolts to type out a whole sentence and hit post  laugh

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »

but in theory it is Plausible while it may be highly improbable,
but with enough marbles falling onto the keybourd it could happen

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »

I choose to post here again because I choose to post here again.

Now you're getting into free will, destiny, that kind of thing.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

but is there really free will or are actions determined by the events that have preceded it?

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »

Free will could be defined as our perception of experiences as well. I work with a lot of dementia patients and they cannot form decisions at this moment based on any recent input, so it's interesting to see how their decision-making process goes and even more interesting to look at that through the lens of a free will argument. You find very quickly that someone for whom new experiences beyond a certain point in their memory cannot influence their decisions now, still find ways to express their free will in new ways, even if their behavior is generally predictable, so much depends on simple things like whether you're smiling or frowning when you approach them.
docslax

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »

but is there really free will or are actions determined by the events that have preceded it?

Some theorize that there is an element to humanity that in some circles I've led seminars for is referred to as the 'machine' (the movie The Matrix was based of this, the ideology being Landmark Education). It's a predefined response that we auto generate based on past experiences and the machines only function is to 'protect'. However like any machine it has bugs. For instance. Imagine being a teen and you see a pretty girl on the bus you go talk to her and for whatever reason (like she is grumpy) she tells you to go away but not as politely.. and those around hear and laugh. At that point in time your 'machine' decides for you on a subconscious level that will never talk to a pretty girl in a public place... why? because it is trying to protect you from what you considered to be a negative emotion... embarrassment. The same ideology believes that you can learn to recognize this 'machine' and then choose in that instant whether to act on it or not. So in some sense yes actions are determined by preceding events but who ultimately gets a say in your life? Consider that you do!

Derailing and trolling forum posts since Sept 2009!
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »

The 'machine' sounds like the brain to me, rather than an actual machine controlling our minds!
You stick your hand in a fire, it burns, the 'machine' protects you from doing it again, but you can still go ahead and do it again.
I see what you're saying though, by objectifying this non-thought automatic process. we can learn to recognise it as automatic and therefore override it...

Maybe free-will can be grouped into conscious and unconscious free-will, and the key to life is becoming conscious of the unconscious...

Who needs monks eh

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »

or it could have no free will due to the fact that everything no matter how unlikely happens and every possible thing is another split off almost parallel

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

d**n bontrose and his quantum theories.

Exousia
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »

You mean the theory that for every decision which is made, the alternative decision is played out in another reality?
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »

yes and the # of alternates would just keep increasing

the main family of realities would be:

1 singularity expanding 13.9-15 Bya
2singularity not expanding

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Zacari

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

If you say it in that way, it means that the amount of alternative realities in theory are is too great to even be conceived by us.

It'll probably be (some number)*10^(a six digit number of some sort).

I am awesome. Understand that.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

If you say it in that way, it means that the amount of alternative realities in theory are is too great to even be conceived by us.

It'll probably be (some number)*10^(a six digit number of some sort).

I am awesome. Understand that.

If, as you say, that the number is too great for us to even conceive of, how can a you possibly give a formula.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to: