The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 16, 2024, 05:32:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overloading password crack program  (Read 3957 times)
Namos

View Profile Email
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:30:27 AM »

This is the first time I've ever seen it, so somewhat curious. Any time I've gone to crack a password I've only had the option of 1X, this time it gave me some message about how I could use my hardware to overload it and I was able to use 2x, which took the crack from .1 to .133, does this have a chance of damaging my hardware?
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:37:36 AM »

This is the first time I've ever seen it, so somewhat curious. Any time I've gone to crack a password I've only had the option of 1X, this time it gave me some message about how I could use my hardware to overload it and I was able to use 2x, which took the crack from .1 to .133, does this have a chance of damaging my hardware?

It should not damage your hardware. It is limited within your hardware. But I dont know, Im only guessing.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »

No it doesn't damage the hardware, it just uses lots more resources to give a small version boost...

This involves overloading your attack software at the expense of a lot of system resources.
The overload may break the target defenses as your process version is boosted using the hardware, but still very inefficient compared to a researched file.

- You can now overload your firewall bypass to run a higher version at the expense of lots of hardware resources
- You can also overload the password breaker, if you still have enough resources

What does this mean? Well it means you won't be safe behind a great firewall or password protect, if the hacker has good hardware he can boost and dedicate all hardware to cracking the target, even if he hasn't got the version yet. The overload will artificially increase his process version and may eventually break the target.

- to reset your process version and consumed resources to the file value, kill the overloaded bypass or breaker and restart it.

Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »

Out of curiosity,does attempting to crack a PW create a log? If it doesnt,then what would be the point of scanning? You either getting in or your not,regardless of what you can see. I think creating a log on a failed PW crack should create a log to make scanners more needed/used.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »

no, there isn't.

the point of scanning is to see what defences your target is at. If you know, maybe you could get someone to help you...

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

Scrixx123@hotmail.com ekam94 pet_shop123@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »

no, there isn't.

the point of scanning is to see what defences your target is at. If you know, maybe you could get someone to help you...
Or if you're looking for a software and don't want to crack everything you can scan first.

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: