The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 23, 2024, 11:55:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: HP Community  (Read 12148 times)
Donn

View Profile Email
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »

I believe we should work on our community.

Although the game is not going that good (a lot of complaints from the players), this is not an excuse for the lack of activity on the forum.

We should bear in mind that every day new players are starting this game (I hope) and are checking out what the community is like (by going on the forum). If I would start playing a game where the forum was almost dead (except a few people posting, always the same people..), I wouldnt be too enthousiastic to play for a long time.

I play this game because Im addicted to it (lol) and because I have friends in the HP community. Without the friends, I wouldnt keep on playing I think (not that addicted lol).

This is not a topic against the SI forum, because I believe it doesnt matter which forum has active people on it: as long as the new players clearly know where to find the SI forum, its as good (and perhaps better) as this one.

I have 2 suggestions and am impatient to hear more suggestions.

2 suggestions:

- Make a sepparate subforum for the new players where they can find several hints/tips from players to players. Research calculators, Excel files which are easy to use / moderate,...

- Appoint a moderator who can only move topics to the recycle bin or a round 1 subforum with all the important topics gathered. Its interesting for the new players to only see the topics that are of use. You can imagine what I mean by that (flame topics, silly questions, events in the past,...)

(Suggestion 2 sequel) When I started playing this game, one of the first things that I did, was read the entire forum. I wanted to know all the latest news, the people (who I am dealing with: kids or mature people), tactics,... By not or barely moderating this forum, all the new players will not do this, especially not when there are only 5 topics active of which 2 of them are for fun and have nothing to do with the game.

Its not, I repeat NOT, my intention to start yet another flame topic against Sir Emi or anyone else. Its my intention to give this forum / game a boost. I am willing to work together with no matter who (even HJ yes  19). Even if Emi goes into offline-modus again. We all have amused ourselves almost too much with this game and we should let Emi know that we need him to be (very) active because we are way too active to be treated like we have been treated in the past month or so..

(About that last sentence) No offense Emi but you have made some mistakes and yes I know several people have on several (too many) occasions told you what you did wrong.. Im just pointing out that I have the same opinion as Succubus, which was: by being unfriendly towards the creator of this game, he will not be enthousiastic to work on this game. If the community is dieing, why work on the game?

I hope Ebolla shares my opinion and comes back because on moments like this, I start to miss the guy lol  5
HJ®
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »

Well let's look at the statistics and see whether or not it's worth it.

In Game

Time for round 1: approx. 6 months
Members for round 1: approx. 11,000
New members per month: approx. 1833 (Avg)

Time for round 2: approx. 1 month
Members for round 1: approx. 1,000
New members per month: approx. 1000 (Avg)

That's a pretty big drop if you ask me, and these aren't even correct values. Now lets check the forum stats:

Forum Stats

Time for round 1: approx. 6 months
Members for round 1: approx. 360
New members per month: approx. 60 (Avg), 33 Most in 1 month, 15 least in 1 month

Time for round 2: approx. 1 month
Members for round 1: approx. 20
New members per month: approx. 20 (Avg)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, excuse the fact that this is chicken scratch math that a 10 year old could do with a calculator, we're still seeing about a 50% drop in activity. In fairness, November was a 'plus' month for the forums, as the number of new members increased as well as the forum activity itself. But December is a joke. This could be excused for the holidays/weather or whatnot, who knows, only time will tell.

Daily forum stats to come.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »

Im not going to start discussing how bad you did those statistics because in the end of the discussion, we'll conclude that actually your point is still the truth: there is a serious activity drop.

December is a bad month because a lot people have exams and the weather shouldnt be an excuse but a motivation lol. I have to study for my exams in January now also so..

This period is a bad one for every browser / whatever based game. I think, based on my previous 2 browser games.

But why do you start the SI forums then? Why do you try and motivate people to come to that forum (even Im registered)? Why do you say there that you are doing your best to make it a very good forum? Is it not because you still believe in the community? Even with 100-200 people, this game can still be awesome you know..

How will HP manage to get new players if it goes on like this? (not directed to HJ only..)
HJ®
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »

You asked those questions just a bit too late.

I did reply in this topic for a reason, you know :P

You've got a helping hand when it comes to the community here, but what is the point in sparking the community when the developer shows very little signs of wanting said assistance?
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »

I just noticed sorry  5

Well I believe Succubus made a good point a few days ago when saying that the developer wont show interest in the game when the playerbase is only giving bad comments.

I hope that in the months that we made good comments, Emi was just being silly or busy and that now that he learned from his mistakes, he thinks its too late and he just lets it be.. Or whatever..

I have a dream HJ..  16

HJ®
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »

Well I'm sure there's something we can do.

Start an advertising campaign? I'm generally pretty good when it comes to advertising, but I think we'd need to host the campaign itself on the SI Forums, due to the fact that there would be tactics used and links posted for the GenPub that probably wouldn't be endorsed by SirEmi in anyway. Or perhaps I could split the two: Keep the legit advertising plots on the HP forums, and you can find all the nasty ones/external links on the SI forums.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:38:17 PM by Hatejacket » Logged
HJ®
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »

I have halted the SI Movement. It will continue one day but that day is not upcoming. Keeping the game alive is more important.

I have started the advertising campaign over there and I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to keep playing this game help to ensure that we can move forward with the game. Any tips you can throw in here or there will be a great help and you will surely be credited, as you can see if you have signed up over there.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »

Well I'm sure there's something we can do.

Start an advertising campaign? I'm generally pretty good when it comes to advertising, but I think we'd need to host the campaign itself on the SI Forums, due to the fact that there would be tactics used and links posted for the GenPub that probably wouldn't be endorsed by SirEmi in anyway. Or perhaps I could split the two: Keep the legit advertising plots on the HP forums, and you can find all the nasty ones/external links on the SI forums.

Go for it. I dont think we'll be able to count on a lot of people (no offense people 5) so lets just start and we'll see who follows.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

I have halted the SI Movement. It will continue one day but that day is not upcoming. Keeping the game alive is more important.

I have started the advertising campaign over there and I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to keep playing this game help to ensure that we can move forward with the game. Any tips you can throw in here or there will be a great help and you will surely be credited, as you can see if you have signed up over there.

Posted but you're posting my ideas before you give me the chance so forgive me if my input is low atm  5
HJ®
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

It's a work in progress, i'll leave it as a global announcement/sticky until you and I collectively agree that we have done enough work.
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »

Wahey, an unlikely alliance is forged. HJ and Donn, conversing like real human beings!? INCONCEIVABLE!
Exousia
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Succubus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »

The reason why I created "The LOL thread" in the "Whatever" section was to check for a heartbeat. From my experience, threads like that have been rather popular on other boards. I'm shocked as can be that nobody's posted. It always seems that the blabber forums get the most activity, but that's not the case here. I wonder if it's because it's buried so low in the forums list?

I don't think the activity of this forum is necessarily indicative of how many active players we have here. On SlaveHack, we had fewer active players during my last days, but the forums saw a lot more activity. Granted, part of the reason was because you never knew whose VPC you were hacking, as you'd never see the name, unlike here. You'd often see threads that titled like "Who is 172.8?", because someone would be trying to find out who got DDoSed, or was doing the DDoSing. We goofed a lot more, and would have our own contests to redistribute the wealth. One thing we were missing were as many, or as nearly as good FAQs and other resources, so we'd find ourselves repeating ourselves a lot too. Furthermore, there was a lot of clan activity, and more PvP action. I think that the best ways to boost interaction will be through having more fun, whether it be through fiercer competition, or goofing off.

I'd like to also ask all of you: how many of you click to vote, and actually complete the voting process? I challenge everyone that reads this to vote every day. We can also start posting on the forums on the MMORPG game sites. I would advertise on the SlaveHack site, but I don't want to get banned (although I quit playing - I'd like to keep my account), or hurt someone else's game, especially just before the launch of a new release. I'm going to start another thread where we can post links to threads that we've created on gaming sites to discuss this game. I think if we pull together to draw attention, and keep the threads alive, it will draw some new blood.

On another topic, HJ, how much do you want to bet that the majority of those first 11k accounts were multis?

***edit***
HJ, according to your other thread where you posted how many new members signed up, I tallied 379. FYI
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:07:19 PM by Succubus » Logged

Oh crappy crapperson, -ton, dot org.
Succubus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »

Still wondering where 11k members came from, and 1k members to start. I don't think we've ever had more than 379 accounts, unless the game has been in existence since before June. My calculations came to 379 new members signed up from June to today. I thought the game opened in June?

Oh crappy crapperson, -ton, dot org.
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »

Do you even have to ask such a thing?

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: