The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 27, 2024, 03:14:37 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Poll
Question: If we had a forum moderator to appoint, who would it be?
Araeus
Arthur Dent
DamascuS
Donn
Exousia
Gs 059
Hatejacket
Human (Apache)
Jager
Jimmi33
Krieger
M1sf17
Moen Co. (Conome)
Nagitof
PlyPencil
Raistlin
RavenXP
Seb
Termul
Tiak
Virus Man (Ebolla)
Xirad
Other (Specify)
We Do Not Need A Moderator

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: If we had a forum moderator to appoint, who would it be?  (Read 16348 times)
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »

You'd be surprised. Your written english is better than many Americans. I don't think letting people know that english isn't your first language is necessary. You're great. Americans seem to have greater difficulty with punctuation, which is what makes for more difficult reading than just an occasional misconjugated verb, or improper pronoun.

Thank you. I once used 'have' instead of 'has' in another game. They started shouting at me not to use gettho english. I wish I could have seen their faces when I said that Ive never used the word 'has' because I dont know where to use it. 'But youre english' they said. Oh, I wish I could have seen their faces that time.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:25 PM »

You'd be surprised. Your written english is better than many Americans. I don't think letting people know that english isn't your first language is necessary. You're great. Americans seem to have greater difficulty with punctuation, which is what makes for more difficult reading than just an occasional misconjugated verb, or improper pronoun.

that is because when you learn english first, you are learning on the fly, so you do not get to learn all of the rules, so than when it is time to learn the rules of the language, people get bored and just ignore what is going on in the classroom.... when you are learning as a second, third, or later language, than they are learning the rules first, than how to speek, that and they actually care about learning because they want the knowledge.

Actually you are completely wrong when it comes to English as your secondary or third or whatever language.. Most people in my country learn the language at a very early age thanks to the internet, the television (we have subtitles here, no dubs), certain magazines (game magazines for example),..

I think the main reason why we learn english so fast is, that we "constantly" hear english speaking on the television and in the meanwhile see the translation below.

Its a very effective way of learning a language. Also the internet has had a serious influence: online gaming for example.

Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »

No dubs... Are you scandinavian or dutch? Almost all other european countries have dubs. So does the american countries as well, I think. And people with a language not originating from the indoeuropean language have usually more trouble with languages originating from indoeuropean and vice versa so they should have dubs out of that reason.

Ps. Im just speculating and may be terribly wrong with the indoeuropean language. I only know it existed and not much more.

jimmi33

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

Wow even my contry which only consists of 5 mil people got dubs <.<
Exousia
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »

English has rules?

I always thought of them more as exceptions.
Succubus

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »

Donn, it looks like you're responding to me instead of gs 059. Darn the way the forums handles quotes. I wish it wouldn't quote the quote that the person you're quoting quoted.

mf_laughbounce2

Oh crappy crapperson, -ton, dot org.
Exousia
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »

Nested quotes don't seem to work out well here. I usually manually separate them for clarity.
Deavas

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »

English has rules?

I always thought of them more as exceptions.

Exactly , We like to make up our own rules , words and meanings. And hope it catches on in the mainstream.
Andreas

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 02:38:18 AM »

Well in Sweden we use many english words as mail, weed and... maybe something more. Pwn and the pronounciation of dot is very common in my school. Only problem is that they dont use 'pwned' as a misspellt 'owned' (which also is use frequently) but uses it instead of saying sex. A normal conversation in my class:
A: Did you pwn someone at the party?
B: For the last time NO!
A: Come on. Ive heard someone saw you pwning that girl.
B: But I didnt pwn that girl!
A: Did it feel good?
B: But I never pwned that girl!!!

Did I get offtopic on my own post? That must be a record.

Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 05:23:53 AM »

Im dutch yes, from Belgium.
Sin15698

Only those you trust can betray you.

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »

Haha, now that I'm talking about nationalities I'm not off topic anymore, 16 see look ^^^

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: