The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 26, 2024, 04:12:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Poll
Question: is this a good idea
yes
no
unsure
dont care
im just voting beacuse i have no life and like to spam stuff
not a good idea without modification

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: upgrade other ip adresses  (Read 8338 times)
bontrose

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

the ability to uprade other ip adresses with your money 12 so you can get more adware and stuff on there 5

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Krieger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:35:46 AM »

You can buy a new server if needed.

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »

but if you have somone you like or just a wimpy server w/ 5(not the 6 needed) you just hacked you would be able to upgrade it

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »

So... You're suggesting that we should be able to pay our own HPD to upgrade a target system?

So, if I understand this correctly, theoretically, I can find a target which is still under newbie protection, I can shell out for the 6 additional BW to pump them up to 11 which is beyond newbie protection and start installing virii. Conversely, if someone has tied up their BW I can pay for 500 more BW and upload malware and attack them.

Don't get me wrong, it will work well for groups who are trying to maintain a group repository, but there is room for exploitation here.

but if you have somone you like or just a wimpy server w/ 5(not the 6 needed) you just hacked you would be able to upgrade it

Oh, I see... That's the point...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:54:35 PM by Exousia » Logged
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »

What about setting a cap? You have to earn a set number of HPD and/or getting above a certain level of hardware before you can upgrade and/or recieve an upgrade. This makes sure nobody starts a new account just to help someone else. Now you have to use your own account.
And, of course, you wouldnt be able to give upgrades between your own accounts.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

yeah the person would have to be on a different (real world) ip # and you can only upgrade somones software so much like say 3x, or 5x for a better player, on each hardware ( hard drives, memory, cpu, and bandwith)

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

different ip does not stop person b from helping person a.... nor does it stop people who know how to proxy bounce irl...

Exousia
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »

I can't get over the image of someone sitting in their little studio apartment hacking away when some random techie shows up, breaks into the place, cracks open his system, adds a new RAM module, nods casually, and walks out like it's nothing.

All this while he's sitting there in his chair looking at the tech like WTF?
Sin15698

Only those you trust can betray you.

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »

laugh Thats the impresion I got from this update, I don't think it would be good or realalistic, plus it would be highly abusable...

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Exousia
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »

There's also the difference in hardware cost between a Gold account and a Freebie account. Gold accounts can make bank shelling out for hardware upgrades in exchange for virii farm rights to Freebie account servers. Think about it. A Gold account user infects a Freebie server and turns around and spends the revenue on upgrading the Freebie account. All the Freebie account user has to do is sit back and let them milk their system while the Gold account user makes bank and farms it. When he's done the Freebie account formats with IP change and he's got a beefy system for only the cost of some time while the Gold user has made a pretty decent amount of cash with little risk. Multiply this time X Freebie account users allowing this slavery of their systems in exchange for upgrades. It really increases the power of a Gold account while turning Freebie accounts into vassals.
death 2 all

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

i think it would work well, but only if you have admin access to that server. it would increase PvP action massively, and force noobs to learn the game much quicker.

Exousia
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »

i think it would work well, but only if you have admin access to that server. it would increase PvP action massively, and force noobs to learn the game much quicker.

Force noobs to learn the game much quicker? Increase PvP massively? These are no small claims. I'm going to have to require support for such statements.

I contend that it will have the opposite effects.

It will drive away new players as their systems are enslaved by veteran players and they become frustrated with the game as there will be nothing they can do to prevent this once their IP is found. They won't have the HPD to effect an IP change and True Light only allows a once per week free IP change with format. All you have to do under the present system is upgrade the target's HDD to some insane level and it'll take over a month to finish the format. In the mean time, their system is yours to toy with.

PvP will become a matter only of HPD. The winner will always be the one with the money to 1) purchase IPs like mad, and then 2) upgrade and infect them. It will be all about how fast you can spend HPD. Even if you put an AP cost on it, that'll just mean that the Gold account players will, once again, subjugate the freebie players by simple virtue of having a larger AP pool to draw from. Any group of players banding together would rule HP by purchasing all opposition and using the proceeds to upgrade and farm them in a perpetual cycle which will become quite boring quite rapidly for the winners and turn the game into a futile endeavor to the losers.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:09:36 AM »

While this feature would be nice it is a way around the "No transfer of HPD to other players" rule set by Titam.

It would also allow say a #1 slot player to quickly upgrade a brand new player into a top slot for the purpose of winning more money each round.  Another words it is to exploitable in it's current suggested form.

Ways to exploit
Knock a newbie out of protection (someone else mentioned this before me) which could be useful for those newbie protected servers holding Revelations.
Bypass the HPD Transfer rules
Log in from a friends computer to make multiple dupe accounts that you can then upgrade from your own computer
Make it more difficult to identify a persons farm server.
I am sure there are even more ways that I can't think of right now.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:32 AM »

Although it would benefit some players, I completely agree with your explanations and listed possible exploits, Virus man. Nicely presented!

Looking from that side as presented - I'm against such upgrades to the game. Too few advantages and too many exploits.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:07 AM »

In my opinion this suggestion is not supported by the community and will therefor not be mentioned in the moderator section.

Unless ofcourse changes are made to the idea making it possible to remove the possible exploits and improve the benefits.

Doubt it but I dare you all!  laugh
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: