The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 05:45:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Slicing a server  (Read 3550 times)
ManoftheSea

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

All servers have a default firewall and password.  When no firewall protector or password protector are running, I'm going to refer to version 0.1.

Firewall bypass:  Requires x cycles per versionlevel, and defeats all firewalls at its version or lower instantly.
Password cracker:  Requires 200 cycles per version level.  Time required is 11 minutes for v1.0 vs v1.0 password at 1x rate.  Further inquiry will reveal more by way of formula.  EDIT A three upgrade breaker appears to remove 2 minutes from a v0.1 password protect.  A lower level password cracker cannot break a higher level password protector.

Slicing will always require some level of these two programs running.  Password cracking can be completed offline, and the firewall bypass can be stopped immediately.

Thus, for high level players, you're going to want the highest level of firewall and password. On top of this, siremi, can we get confirmation that changing the password actually spoils any current password attempts?  By this, I mean that I run password breaker on someone, and it starts ticking.  They run change password.  They complete change password.  I complete password cracker.  Do I have access?

Since a v1.0 firewall bypass beats a v1.0 firewall, there is absolutely no use in running a 1.0 firewall protector.  Wasted MHz.  And a v1.0 password only protects you for 11 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:13:54 PM by ManoftheSea » Logged
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »

On top of this, siremi, can we get confirmation that changing the password actually spoils any current password attempts?

Changing the password will take away the admin access others have on you, so they can't bounce you or access your data.

It is VERY important to change password after you upgrade your Firewall or Password Protect, because the hackers that cracked you have to crack again and they may not have the software to match your defenses, if witch case they have to upgrade the attack software too.

ManoftheSea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:23 PM »

I mean, if I'm holding a password crack on somebody, and they finish their change, can I then click done and have it immediately grant me access again?
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:46:39 PM »

I mean, if I'm holding a password crack on somebody, and they finish their change, can I then click done and have it immediately grant me access again?

Depends. First you have to keep the crack process in memory and that takes resources. Second, there is another check before giving admin access. Your password break against the target new password protect. If the protect version is greater, you can't acquire the admin pass, have to upgrade the version and start again...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: