The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 06:02:15 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: New Software: Cash Cow Virus  (Read 13927 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »

Name: Cash Cow Virus

Description: A huge worm that requires a lot of resources to run. Only one of those beasts can be installed on a server. The cow will target a mega-corporation account and suck huge chunks of HPD. Can be installed on any server, if resource requirements are meet.

Resources: 30X File Share resources / version

Income: 20X File Share income / version

Restrictions:
 - only one can be installed / server
 - when collecting, you are prompted to target a faction account to suck HPD from
 - 2.5% of collected HPD goes to negative standing towards targeted faction

Please comment  17
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:46:31 PM by siremi » Logged

DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »

'SGP Cash Cow' anyone? laugh laugh

I like it, i really do. Would it work like the current virii when installed on a player's server, ie: drain funds from their account, or would you install it anywhere and select the mega-corp to target?

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »

Where can I get me one of these lovely ladies from???
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

'SGP Cash Cow' anyone? laugh laugh

I like it, i really do. Would it work like the current virii when installed on a player's server, ie: drain funds from their account, or would you install it anywhere and select the mega-corp to target?

A replacement for cash farms. You install this anywhere you can get your hands (but only one / server), then when you collect, it prompts you for one of the 4 factions. You select the faction and collect the HPD. You also lose standing for that faction as a trade-off.

DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »

Oooooooh ii DEFINATELY want one these!

rockon please w00t2 drink cheer punk dribble

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:27:08 AM »

so I can make say 20 servers, than install a big one on each, than drain true light for making rev? lol. sounds fun..

DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »

so I can make say 20 servers, than install a big one on each, than drain true light for making rev? lol. sounds fun..

Good luck protecting 20 servers /lol. But yeah, i definately want to see this ;)

Question: will it be implemented before the round reset? That would probably be a good idea, and im sure we can slow rev down a little to give you more time 19

Although, if it comes in at the beginning of R3, then while everyone's rushing to get themselves one, i can...../cheekygrin

ivandrago
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

I hope it will be a run-once file that will selfdestruct after doing it's job.

And plz change the name ... it keeps reminding me of a dark era in HP history  laugh
Eledran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »

Description: A huge worm that requires a lot of resources to run. Only one of those beasts can be installed on a server. The cow will target a mega-corporation account and suck huge chunks of HPD. Can be installed on any server, if resource requirements are meet.

Restrictions:
 - when collecting, you are prompted to target a faction account to suck HPD from

Please comment  17

What about AP?

*Eledran wishes it has not a AP cost due the fact it makes you to loose standing...
Exousia
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:23:07 AM »

That's a lot of resources. So the basic stats will be something like 96 HDD, 7500 CPU, 300,000 RAM, 1500 BW for a v0.1 collecting 1200 HPD per running hour. That's a hefty bill.
RaiseCain

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »

Restrictions:

Please comment  17
This is a great way of balancing farms, as the exponential server costs (aswell as the resources needed) will restrict your growth to some point.
However, this does not prevent players from isolating themselves, gathering funds for the next virus.

I suggest to restrict the amount of worms a player can own on their LAN (Not public servers), this makes way for more strategy.
For example;
Players LAN is restricted to 3 worms(one worm / server), once that limit is reached you can either start installing them on public servers (given resources are met).
Or replace those on your LAN with upgraded versions.

The second option explained;
Replacement would mean that along with the costs of your research(and the resources required to run that research), you also need to increase the available resources on each of the 3 owned (worm) servers.
Once you have an upgraded version availabe one has to realize the effects of the actual updating process;
In order to install the new version, the outdated one first needs to be removed, and the long install time will inevitably lead to a period of income loss.

Factor in the AP cost for the researched versions and you actually have a physical limit of the fixed income one has, once this limit is reached you will have to find other ways to increase your income. Thus preventing players from isolating themselves and, to some degree, forces them to interact with other players.

And plz change the name ... it keeps reminding me of a dark era in HP history  laugh
I agree, it does need a better name. Personally I was thinking of: Happy HP Wormconfused2
But seriously, it does need a better name.

The battles of the skilled are without extraordinary victory, without reputation for wisdom and without merit for courage.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »

The worm will only be activated on round 3. The update will be completed before R3, but the worm will not be available until R3 starts.

I'm open to suggestions for a new name...

Cash Cow Virus
Colossus Worm
Goliath Worm
Big Foot Virus

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »

Now wait a minute....you threw the factions update at us in the middle of round 2...why not throw out this update and make sure the kinks are out prior to implimentation in round 3 so round 3 isn't messed up with a screwed up update????
RaiseCain

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »

Ginjitsu has a point, this update will change the way HPD is gained dramatically. Not to forget that the virus will not be usable from the start, as its requirements are gigantic. Players could make preparations for it, only to discover that it is somehow flawed.

It is understandable that this update shouldn't be rushed, knowing the round could end soon. But testing the update before R3 can prove to be very beneficial.

Something Else, if you are still taking suggestions I would like to add;

Sovereignty Worm or Sovereignty Virus

Sovereignty;
-the status, dominion, power, or authority of a sovereign
Sovereign;
-having supreme rank, power, or authority.

Underlying Thought;
This new virus will be the best money generating virii available, and will undoubtedly be used by everyone. In-line with the Factions Update, it will allow us to steal money from corporations, and use that same money against them.

Thus it has supreme rank and demands power/authority

The battles of the skilled are without extraordinary victory, without reputation for wisdom and without merit for courage.
Exousia
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »

Robber Baron Virus

"Robber baron is a term that revived in the 19th century in the United States as a reference to businessmen and bankers who dominated their respective industries and amassed huge personal fortunes, typically as a direct result of pursuing various anti-competitive or unfair business practices. The term may now be used in relation to any businessman or banker who is perceived to have used questionable business practices or scams in order to become powerful or wealthy (placing them in power of everything having controlled most business affairs.)"

EDIT: addendum...

The LAN limitation has some merit, but an alternative to this idea is that the virus has a competing resources effect (i.e. diminishing returns.) Instead of an absolute cap of 3 virii per LAN, perhaps the quantity on your own servers suffers from a diminished effect for each install based on the theory that when they're installed on the same LAN, they're competing for resources. So the first install produces 100% return, the second produces 80%, The third produces 64%, and so on until the return approaches zero. Of course, the higher version gets priority, so if a v1.05 and a v0.80 are installed on your own servers, the v1.05 yields a 100% return while the v0.80 only yields an 80% return. (Each successive installed version yields 80% of the previous one's.)

So, there is a point in both installing on your own servers and in finding secret servers and player servers to install them on in order to gain a 100% return by going around the competing resources effect.

I use 80% as an example, but this could be squished down to 50% to make a cap of 3. 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%, ... after 25%, though, I'm sure it will be rare to find more than one or two additional installs. The version priority even takes effect if more than one player installs it on the same LAN. Player A installs a v1.1 and earns 100% while player B who installed a v1.0 earns only 50% and must go out and disinfect the v1.1 in order to increase his return.

This could be used on corporate intranets as well, but with not so steep a decline due to how large these infrastructures are. Perhaps 100%, 95%, 91.5%, etc... (math is estimated at each successive install earning 95% of the previous install's return.)

Could get a little complicated but could also supply farm income while providing opportunities for PvP with regards to the farms.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:47:09 PM by Exousia » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: