The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 26, 2024, 05:17:40 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Faction interaction  (Read 5603 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »

Ok, so Tri was talking about faction boards and stuff and I got this idea.

So we have the factions and everything, but wouldn't you want to change stuff in your faction if you get high enough in ranks?

I was thinking of implementing similar group functions to a whole faction.

So basically, when you click on Faction Info, you get some more menus to click, like in Groups.
You'll have faction board, where you can post stuff that only other faction members can see.

Now comes the good part. What if you would be able to manipulate faction servers, if you had a high enough rank / level?

For example, let's say you have level 10 rank, so you could now make 2 faction commands / day.
Level 15, make 3 commands / day, etc.

What commands / day means: What if you could issue commands to the faction servers. Like Instant passwd change / IP Change / members access. Each action will take a number of commands from your day limit. Pwd Change would take 1 command, as does member access to a user. IP Change would take 3 commands.

Please comment  1

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »

Sweet lord yes  13

That would be amazing for PvP and coordination.  How many commands for what ranks are you thinking, the instant IP change once per day could be a little overpowered though (use that server as your initial bounce, free IP change)

Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »

I think this would be awsome and work in conjunction with the Faction Secret Server Software idea....maybe use faction commands to manipulate research on the servers as well to increase research production on your factions server OR use commands to countermand research on an opposing factions server.
Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »

everything gets my thmbs up except the ipchange - with the servers rotating every 300 hours people didnt put virii on them - 700 seems good enough as nearly everyone is chock full of virii - however if you allow us to do ip resets on secrets then the virii on them will be rendered useless. as much as i hate the virii players, i feel this is un-acceptable to push on them.

if the ip change can be reworked as per the virii - ip changes we submitted were in place then sure - but as the game stands now then no ip changes on secrets should be 700h and no less.

p.s. aswell as using AP it should also use FP

Exousia
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »

Heh... Virii were pretty much the primary if not the sole source of income in this game up until this point. R3 is landmark in my opinion for being the first round where missions were the primary source of income for at least a month into it. Farming was virii use as well. We should be seeing Robber Baron servers soon, so hating virii players pretty much means you hate everyone.  16

That aside, I agree, Triadian. If we allow player generated IP resets, then the secret servers will be reverted to fallow fields again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:03:50 PM by Exousia » Logged
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »

I second Gin, having commands you could use to further the research on a server would be nice.  Then with faction boards you could work together and pump a file with other Hakuza people to get really good software, and defend it from the other factions.

I also agree that the IP change might be a little powerful, maybe if the number of commands required was prohibitively high, but even then just the threat of it is kinda too much...

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »

I agree, the IP Change should be left at the secret servers current countdown.

We'll see what other functions we can find for faction servers. The high end ranked players and low end should be able to lead their faction and interact / make war with the other factions. Some sort of PvP aspect involving all the factions would be awesome.

Triadian
Select Member

Guilty as charged

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

I agree, the IP Change should be left at the secret servers current countdown.

We'll see what other functions we can find for faction servers. The high end ranked players and low end should be able to lead their faction and interact / make war with the other factions. Some sort of PvP aspect involving all the factions would be awesome.

emi i havent seen the mission spawn code - but maybe allow players of certain faction adjust the faction percentages.

for example once a day each icarus player can add a % to the targeting ratios

day 1 : 25% TL    25% omni   25%  hak 25% research software
a few people vote to target omni servers and research software
day 2 : 24% TL    26% omni   24% hak   26% research
during the hourly spawns these values are used randomly to decide who the recovers target or wether software versions are upgraded etc.

this way the whole faction votes on the course of the faction based on the level in the faction they are a level faction member a level 1 faction member can spend upto 10 fp's on the %'s a level 10 faction member can spend 100 fp's etc

that way we can shape the faction in the direction of its members - so many more possibilities can be given by the faction members voting on the way the faction grows....
Eledran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

Also having different missions regardering your faction rank would be great. That way newbies would not compete with top players, and top would compete with top. It will also prevent having lots of recover codes missions with logs modified up to v3...

Perhaps also having a global board for the whole faction and another one for your own rank??

Regardering this, high faction ranked quests would also give more AP/HPD/Standing. As higher the faction mission is, the higher the reward is.

Perhaps even players on the high ranks would like to split the quests among them and reduce pvp...

Players could also go to other faction level missions, but getting lowered HPD at completing, and only the engough AP to have the same AP they had before staring the quest. Standing would drop 5-10 points for each quest you complete and you did not take when it was the highest ranked mission aviable.
IE, player goes to faction server and gets 2 quests for his 2nd level  -> completes one -> gets 3rd lvl -> completes 2nd quest with no penality.

Another IE for the other improvement: player of faction level 3 goes to faction server -> selects and starts level 2 quest -> (low penality is added to reward, standing would drop from 5-10 points anyway) -> completes -> gets HPD reward, no extra AP (-5) to (-10) standing.

Players could not start missions over their level, as it is supposed the corp do not considerer you engough "loyal" with them to do so.

In order to be able to select other lvl missions, you would have a dropdown menu with options ordered from higher level aviable to lower one.

emi, if you want KIS it, the corp would give you soft high engough in order to complete the quests with each new lvl (this could overload your HDD, leading to research unable to complete, and no way to select lowered rank missions

EDIT:
BTW, I do not think allowing instant pass changes or IP changes could be allowed. 48 hours pass change with ability of killing it at remote host. Command resources are gathered at the end of the change, and they are stockable. No AP is taken if the change is killed - but 100 negative standing points (for non gold and 50 for gold?? 21 ).

Perhaps command points could be used to instant finish research of speccialized soft at no AP/HPD cost (but a copy could be spawned the faction servers) or spawning inmediately new missions on the corp servers. Quests could even give command points from some faction lvl between 5-10. Perhaps adding the ability to change those points for a anti-hacker mission spawn (it would not delete itself if target changes IP) or a task kill one. reward would change regardering your lvl. it would spawn inmediatly at a faction server, chosen at random.

EDIT:
The target would get a message from #0 (anonymous) saying to the target a mission has been targered on him, plus the player who ordered it, plus the quest target.

EDIT:
Same faction players could be able to give away admin access (read only ones) to their own servers for the ones on their own faction. It could be used for bouncing boxes, or repositories.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:27:40 AM by Eledran » Logged
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

Eledran I've been suggesting missions based on standing since R2 when the faction update was starting...

I would say this is the best bet, or something similar (as they do in another game I play)

Factions each have a disposition towards the other factions at any given time.  Faction player actions against another faction will then affect the disposition of other faction towards their faction (if I'm Hakuza and I do a S&D mission on an Omnicron server, Omnicron will like Hakuza a little bit less).  Then, as dispositions get to a certain point they would result in higher targeting of missions against that faction, maybe bonuses applied to payouts against that faction, etc.  Then, you would have random disposition changes obviously (maybe Hakuza and Omnicron reached a deal providing for reduced attacks for each side, which sets the dispositions more on the neutral side)

Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

Perhaps high ranks can take money out of their pocket to research secret server programs?
Exousia
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »

Perhaps high ranks can take money out of their pocket to research secret server programs?

That sounds more like something for a wars server, but I like the line of reasoning leading to player actions effecting faction progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: