The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 20, 2024, 01:14:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Sniffer w/ possible Format relation  (Read 12373 times)
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

After formatting my little "minion" server, I still retained the sniffer that was installed on it in my Software section. File #70538 Sniffer Demon seemed to be just a graphical ghost. It retains all information from the previous incarnation, although the "Name" and "Version" sections are blank.
 The REAL issue is that I used the non-existent Ghost Sniffer to reset the password of my "minion" server. Obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. 
 Whether the relation to formatting with an installed (and owned) sniffer is relevant is unknown. Currently I'm attempting to duplicate said scenario, and will post my results.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »

Update- Having formatted again with the same parameters erased File # 70538 Sniffer Demon along with with the "actual" sniffer I had installed.

I find it odd that the "Software" section both recognized the ghost sniffer AND allowed it to use the password change feature, despite it not being physically present on the gateway itself.

Chalk it up to a ghost in the machine, I guess.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Exousia
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »

It's worth looking into, even if it was a matter of cosmic rays striking the server hard disk at exactly the right moment at the right spot to make the sniffer stick around or whatnot.
Exousia
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:27:27 AM »

Okay, I just duplicated this bug with a format on a server with a robber baron virus. Had to destroy the virus to make it go away and that was fine because it wouldn't let me collect off it, so no exploit.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »

interesting... i will not format mine to try

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
xtrapas

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:06:07 AM »

...with a robber baron virus. [...]t wouldn't let me collect off it [...]

what you mean, would not let me collect?
Iam JUST trying out that big thing and hope it works.
Maybe you set virii setting to "your own" faction?
if you didnt... lets hope "that corp" is not broke :P (if they can go "broke", how do they gain money?)
Eledran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »

...with a robber baron virus. [...]t wouldn't let me collect off it [...]

what you mean, would not let me collect?
Iam JUST trying out that big thing and hope it works.
Maybe you set virii setting to "your own" faction?
if you didnt... lets hope "that corp" is not broke :P (if they can go "broke", how do they gain money?)

He meant as when you change IP the virus is not lost if it is on a owned gateway and as there is a bug on the format removing the virus version but not the task, the virus do not produce any income, as its version is one but not the task. when the task is gone, the task is also gone, but when the version is gone, the income modifier is set to 0. so...

Income per hour * v0.0 = 0??  13 laugh
xtrapas

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:23:11 AM »

*TILT*

that thing surely takes some time to activate...
and storing it on ftp requires to be a rich bastard and iam not rich :P

:P
so basically each baron is "tailored" to the bandwidth you can more or less afford.
great. now i got leftover cpu/mem...
maybe i can run some password breaks on it :P
Exousia
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »

I'm going to use small words here. Small words by my definition at least.

This thread is not a discussion of the Robber Baron. This thread is a bug discussion relating to possibly all virii. The Robber Baron works fine. I formatted a server with the Robber Baron installed on it which was supposed to remove the virus from the server. Instead, the virus showed up in my software list as Master Shake described his sniffer doing, without a name, just an hours installed counter. When I attempted to collect from this mysteriously installed virus to see if it was exploitable, it did not collect any cash. I then destroyed the virus myself. Of course I'm not stupid enough to target my own faction. As far as I know, from what Sir Emi has said, the corps have an infinite supply of money.

In other words: Your "contributions" here are irrelevant and off-topic.
xtrapas

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

great now you even hateme..
just making my thoughts public.

you knwo internet stupidness is almost endless and there COULD be cases that "common sense" doesnt apply (like targeting your own faction for a change)

i did not know about infinite "suppl" of hpd, justr was pointing out the possibility that either the "target faction" was not set right or some ot her issues.

:-[
Exousia
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

you knwo internet stupidness is almost endless and there COULD be cases that "common sense" doesnt apply (like targeting your own faction for a change)

i did not know about infinite "suppl" of hpd, justr was pointing out the possibility that either the "target faction" was not set right or some ot her issues.

I hate no one, I just have to wear the hat of a player and the hat of a moderator at the same time.  19 Sometimes that comes across wrong.  16

"Common Sense" is rather uncommon. That's how bugs are found. Nevertheless, don't make the mistake of thinking that I hate anyone no matter how stern my words tend to be. I merely speak plainly and bluntly.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »

can you spell?

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
xtrapas

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »

yep, just too lazy to spellcheck and typing fast
besides i was drunk, too

hey, i can have a two time excuse ^^

Exousia
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »

can you spell?

If you're gonna play that card, Bonty, then I could point out your lack of grammar in failing to capitalize the first letter in the first word of that sentence. Oh, what fun I could have if I played the grammar and spelling card!

This is also thread derailment.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:49:57 PM by Exousia » Logged
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »

yep, just too lazy to spellcheck and typing fast
besides i was drunk, too

hey, i can have a two time excuse ^^

uhh not a good idea to talk to ppl when u r drunk the wrong things have a tendency to come out...

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: