The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 25, 2024, 12:45:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Bandwidth overloading  (Read 10537 times)
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »

I've noticed a few servers that are pushing more bandwidth than they show.

310/150 bandwidth used.

Always seems to be someone uploading a file (a virii) and another virus installed and running...

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »

sometimes u can max out your bandwith and then start a virri it goes above the max other times it just says it needs more bandwith

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Exousia
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »

Public servers can be overloaded to allow newer players to acquire additional software without restriction.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »

ahh

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »

Nice...  I'll upload some software for the newbies (at least more newbie than me) I've been helping and not have to worry about using my own bandwidth...

pondmonkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »

Public servers can be overloaded to allow newer players to acquire additional software without restriction.

i still shuldnt beable to upload this fast and the public ftp dust come up as useing bandwith.
1,331.20/150 Kbs Bandwidth 887%
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »

Yeah we have discovered this is no limit to bandwidth on public servers.

The limit is applied to any virus running on the server.  In addition public servers can only have files running of .2 or less. 

pondmonkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »

3,467.75/150 Kbs Bandwidth 2312%
i think its kinda stupid why even have it say there is only 150  if there is no limit.
Exousia
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »

I find that there is a certain logic in what you both are saying.

While the lack of restriction was designed to allow newbies to download new software and replacement software without waiting for forever and a day for a 0.1 BW download, virii and uploads should be restricted to the hardware capacity even if downloads are not. They should, in my opinion, be separate categories of BW on Public Servers, the one restricted only by the capacity of the downloading server and not showing up on the Public Server's used BW, while the other (virii and uploads) restricted by the Public Server's BW, treating it as if it were under attack. This would also open opportunities for faction-aligned personnel to "defend" these Public Servers.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »

I'd take it a step further Exousia.  I think that all servers should have a separate BW setup, Uploads and Viruses should be restricted to the current stated limit, but downloads should have it's own limit.

There are very few secret servers out there were someone could download the next level of software.  When I first started out I found dozens of servers, all with software that I could have used.  Not one though, was free of Viruses.  Generally I was limited to 5 to 15 BW out of the 150 or so on the server.  I ended up giving up trying that route.

pondmonkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »

player servers shuld remain the same. so its more of a fight to get stuff from other players.
Exousia
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

Player servers should remain the same. So it's more of a fight to get stuff from other players.

Of course.

I'd take it a step further Exousia.  I think that all servers should have a separate BW setup, Uploads and Viruses should be restricted to the current stated limit, but downloads should have it's own limit.

There are very few secret servers out there were someone could download the next level of software.  When I first started out I found dozens of servers, all with software that I could have used.  Not one though, was free of Viruses.  Generally I was limited to 5 to 15 BW out of the 150 or so on the server.  I ended up giving up trying that route.

I can see that. I vaguely remember someone suggesting that kind of thing at one point with a rather meager response.

However, it was decided at one point that having to disinfect the virii and such on Secret servers would inspire more PvP. It's kind of an on-going battle among the staff (and, honestly, among players in general) as to how to encourage PvP without sacrificing the Newbs and even the mid-level players. While it is a simple thing for a veteran (or top 20 player) to disinfect a lot of those virii on the Secret servers, the software on them are well below what they would bother trying to swipe, so it's really up to the mid-level players to do it and the cost-effectiveness of the process is in doubt for them. Really, it's the newer players who would benefit most and the veterans and mid-levels would have to give up a lot of virii territory right now. We were considering putting a minimum download BW at one point as well, so there would, at the very least, be some BW available to download the software, but there are also those pesky bulk deleters out there killing all that nifty software before most could download it. An issue I run into when starting out each round trying to improve my software selection by downloading it from Public and Secret servers.

We could put a cap on the virii level being installed, but that would hinder the veterans and mid-level players. I had proposed at one point, that the secret servers would not reformat and/or IP change unless the virii BW usage reached a critical point, but I have yet to receive any concrete yay or nay on that.

So, really, there is no simple answer to this dilemma on the Secret servers, and the unlimited BW overload on the Public servers is a bit of a compromise.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

I had offered a while back a possible mission that might help in this type of situation (that is getting better software to the low-mid level players).... I think...

Mission: Acquire Software.  The player is instructed to download a certain piece of software from one server and then upload it to one of the public servers.

This would encourage the players to start moving the software to servers in which others could have easier access to it. 

Because honestly, right now there are only really two players who have been actively disinfecting the secret servers.  That would be Ivan and myself.  I have had rather limited success, due to Dev Null  16 but Ivan seems to be doing rather good at it.  Perhaps if this were more incentive (i.e. new mission) to get the files and move them even the higher ranked players would start working on them.

pondmonkey

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »

i tryed to disinfect the viriis but then i get crazy hacked alot so its not even worth trying.
tn5421

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »

Yeah, I get madly hacked trying to disinfect anything that takes over an hour. 12
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: