The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 19, 2024, 04:22:25 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Lisa/Tutorial help  (Read 7954 times)
Krinkov

View Profile Email
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »

even though i've played a lot of uplink, and so far feel right at home here, i've been following lisas guidelines. but after i completed the five delete file missions, i lost her trail. where's the next part of the tutorial
Exousia
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

As far as I know, there isn't any more, but it's been about a year since I took the tutorial and it's been updated since then, I think.

Anyway, so I'll throw you some hints and I'm sure others will too.

Basically you start out earning money by completing more of those delete missions. Do as many as you can all at once. You don't get penalized if you don't do them or if someone else does, and you only need 100 Mhz for each one, so just load up your CPU up to 1000 and take all missions you come across (this also helps you find new IPs and new servers). As long as you have less then 1050 CPU and 10 BW you cannot be hit by another hacker. They can hack you and see your processes (I think they can't even kill your processes) but they cannot upload virii to you and you will be fairly safe just bouncing in to other servers with protects down and using all your CPU for deletes for a while, so just go nuts and make sure you don't reach 1050 CPU or 10 BW until you have enough cash for an IP change and some protects running including a log deleter.

I cannot emphasize enough to newbies how much more important a log deleter is to defense than firewall or password protect. Once you reach the end of your protection, make sure you bounce through public servers (at least two for free accounts and five for gold accounts) and delete or change your IP along the way with the strongest log deleter you can find and run, just to slow down anyone trying to find you. Joining or making a group with someone else is also very helpful. Most veterans will give advice when asked nicely and they won't attack you even out of protection unless you disinfect their virii, kill their research tasks, or act like a jerk on the forum.

This should help you get going.

Just go to your IP database and connect to a public server. You won't create a log entry if you download from public ftp or just look at the bulletin board (this is true for all servers except private ones). Take all the missions offered and don't worry about any secret faction missions. Complete all the delete missions you can and ignore the ones you cannot and the missions which want you to disinfect virii or hack another player until you get more comfortable with the game. Stay under newbie protection (<1050 CPU and <10 Bandwidth) until you are ready to make yourself vulnerable.

Make sure to come back to the forum when you have a question and ask.

Later on, once you get familiar with the game, you can select a faction and start doing faction missions and/or installing virii on public and secret servers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:15:27 PM by Exousia » Logged
ivandrago
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »

All I want to add is that the log recovery missions were a fast and relatively safe way to earn a fair amount of HPD early in the game.
AgentE382

3rd ITG Member - Round 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

They can hack you and see your processes (I think they can't even kill your processes) but they cannot upload virii to you and you will be fairly safe just bouncing in to other servers with protects down and using all your CPU for deletes for a while, so just go nuts and make sure you don't reach 1050 CPU or 10 BW until you have enough cash for an IP change and some protects running including a log deleter.

A player is no longer protected when:
CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR
(not logged in for the last 7 days)

What one can DO on newbie:
- crack him / bounce / modify logs/ download / disinfect / capture / unhide / decrypt / set public / kill process  on the newbie

What one can NOT do on newbie:
- upload / delete / hide / encrypt / install

So you can still bully the newbies, but not that hard...  1

They can kill your processes, but unless someone is feeling extremely mean or has a good reason, they won't. I only kill newbies processes if they're trying to capture my virii, and I only kill that process.

You CAN have 1050 CPU and still be under newbie protection.
You can have a max of 1050 MHz CPU.
You can have a max of 9 Kbs Bandwith.
DO NOT get 10Kbs BW if you want to stay under newbie protection.
DO NOT get 1100 Mhz CPU if you want to stay under newbie protection.
the newbie protection standards are for each individual server, so you could have one server which is out of protection and another which is still under it. It depends solely on the hardware of the individual server, not the cumulative hardware of the player.

My advice is to upgrade to 9Kbs Bandwith and 1050 Mhz CPU in that order, as soon as possible. Then get at least 100 MB RAM because after you leave newbie protection, the amount of RAM you'll need increases exponentially with increasing versions of programs. Other than that, Exousia is 100% correct, follow his/her advice.  5

Also, secret faction missions get you more, but don't accept them until you know you have the software stated in the requirements for each mission, because I think you get punished or something if you take a very long time to do it.

AgentE382
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:07:01 PM by AgentE382 » Logged
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »

You can delete your secret missions if you can't complete them in time with no penalty.

But if you let them play out... then you will penalized.

They do have long timers.  Decrypts something on the order > 100 hours and recover > 36 hours if I recall.

Krinkov

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »

thx guys! i sorta figured out most of the basic gameplay from playing uplink (have you played it) which is very similar, but i didn't know all that about newbie protection. but there is one thing i was wondering. if you have a task that is going to take several hours to complete, is there any way of speeding it up,? like, in  uplink you could change the CPU usage for every process, to make sure important tasks get done as quickly as possible.
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »

thx guys! i sorta figured out most of the basic gameplay from playing uplink (have you played it) which is very similar, but i didn't know all that about newbie protection. but there is one thing i was wondering. if you have a task that is going to take several hours to complete, is there any way of speeding it up,? like, in  uplink you could change the CPU usage for every process, to make sure important tasks get done as quickly as possible.

I'm afraid not...at least on standard missions there is no way to speed up the process.

As far as faction missions as you progress and become higher ranked within your faction you will be able to upgrade certain software processes which will in turn all you to speed up the process of those specific software programs.

Rough Example... The Highest paying Faction Seek and Destroy mission for someone new takes approximately 36 hours to decrypt before you can complete it.  At the highest skill level for decryption being 75% that mission can be decrypted and completed in approximatey 6 hours.

Good Luck.
AgentE382

3rd ITG Member - Round 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »

thx guys! i sorta figured out most of the basic gameplay from playing uplink (have you played it)
I beat the demo in a day 5. I liked it, but personally, I like this better.

AgentE382 17
Exousia
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »

They can hack you and see your processes (I think they can't even kill your processes) but they cannot upload virii to you and you will be fairly safe just bouncing in to other servers with protects down and using all your CPU for deletes for a while, so just go nuts and make sure you don't reach 1050 CPU or 10 BW until you have enough cash for an IP change and some protects running including a log deleter.

A player is no longer protected when:
CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR
(not logged in for the last 7 days)

What one can DO on newbie:
- crack him / bounce / modify logs/ download / disinfect / capture / unhide / decrypt / set public / kill process  on the newbie

What one can NOT do on newbie:
- upload / delete / hide / encrypt / install

So you can still bully the newbies, but not that hard...  1

They can kill your processes, but unless someone is feeling extremely mean or has a good reason, they won't. I only kill newbies processes if they're trying to capture my virii, and I only kill that process.

You CAN have 1050 CPU and still be under newbie protection.
You can have a max of 1050 MHz CPU.

Nit-picky, eh?  laugh

RAM is good to have, so I agree with AgentE382. His/her advice is valid and the correction is also valid.
Krinkov

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »

too bad:(. yeah i like this more than uplink too. theres more to do and theres MULTIPLAYER :D
and hey, i noticed that some software has version numbers like for example 0.11782 and are called "special".is there anything special about them besides a little higher version?
Krinkov

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »

and how often does someone actually try to spread revelation?
and the log recovery missions? i haven't seen any of those...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:48:58 PM by Krinkov » Logged
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »

Names can be applied by a player who researched it, but there are some applied when purchasing as well.  When you research your own software you can completely change the name so a "Firewall Bypass" could be listed as "My Favorite Software".

Advanced (Firewall Bypass), Special (Firewall Bypass) and such.

If you buy stolen software it will say Stolen (firewall Bypass).

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »

Log Recovery Missions:

They can be found on the SECRET FACTION MISSIONS tab (right next to the bulletin board missions tab).  But you can only get them for your faction and on SECRET servers.

When you choose the IP database select the FACTION tab at the top.  It will then list only your faction servers that you know.  Choose one and then at the very bottom of the page select the SECRET FACTION MISSIONS.

You should see 2 Code Recovery and 3 Destroy Missions.

If someone has completed them within the last half-hour or so there may be some or all missing.  They get regenerated every hour or so (don't know exact time, but fairly often).

Code recovery missions are a great way to find IP addresses of the competitor faction secret servers.

Exousia
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »

That's true, but you need like a v0.2 undeleter MINIMUM to do those missions, so come prepared.  7
tn5421

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:09:05 AM »

I'll provide you some mid-level software if you need some.  My in-game account is tn5421.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: