The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 19, 2024, 02:31:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Developer Apprenticeship learning free program  (Read 3199 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »

Hello everyone,

The Game Developer Apprenticeship is a program started by myself, Emilian Tita, the owner of ET Virtual Worlds

I am a freelance Software Engineer in downtown Toronto, and I've been working with PHP from 1998.

The program is intended for all categories of developers who either have a hobby in coding in general, want to learn how to develop games, or just want to learn in a fun way.

ET Virtual Worlds will support the infrastructure needed to run the program: development server cost, repository subscription, developer forums and the online project management software.
You are free to donate to support this program. It is recommended to use the in-game Pledge system for donations.

Requirement: None really. You can work from anywhere, since we will keep in touch via the team software. You will need to have a free Gmail account and a free team software account.
Cost for you: No cost for you, except your time.

Now about the program. While ET Virtual Worlds will provide guidance and the knowledge base, we will not tell you what to do or hold your hand in any way. There will be guides and tutorials available to introduce you to the coding world and best practices. You will interact with the other members of the team, make friends and ask questions. The program will have a broad range, and you will be able to learn coding from the ground up ("Hello World!"), or play with the best software engineers. We will have a no stress policy, code for fun, that means no deadlines, do it on your own time, pick a task and do it if you like and learn, or pass it up if you have difficulties with it, or join with someone else or a team on the task at hand.

Terms and conditions:
 Please be advised, this program is Volunteer only. That means, you will not receive any remuneration. However, what you will gain is knowledge, experience in agile development methodologies, best practice coding techniques, friends. Our object of interest and "play ground" will be to develop and test new updates for Astro Galaxy in a fun way. You can coordinate with any of the other team members to achieve our objectives. Any abuse of the system will be handled by the administrator and may lead to a temporary or full ban. The source code present in the repositories is the property of ET Virtual Worlds. Any attempt to reverse engineer or steal the code is deemed illegal under the copyright.  When joining the program, you will receive a release form, in witch you acknowledge that any work you do under the program will be under the property and copyright of ET Virtual Worlds and you release any rights you may have on the work to ET Virtual Worlds.

Now, I'm just going to outline what you might be learning from this Apprenticeship program. There are no strings attached, and all topics are optional. I've ordered the topics by category.

CODING
- PhpStorm startup tutorial. Setup your code editor colors & fonts to what you are comfortable with.
- Basic coding tutorial.
- Intermediate coding tutorial. Learn the best practices, so you don't end up with spaghetti code.
- Advanced PhpStorm functions. Setup so you can easily find anything in your projects in seconds.
- Advanced coding tutorial. Learn the Model / View / Controller architecture with frameworks and without.

VERSION CONTROL
- Beanstalk startup tutorial. Learn version control the fun way in a team environment.
- Define and checkout your project in PhpStorm. Learn about linking your project to version control.
- Learn about revisions, history and code reviews. Learn how to rollback but keep your work intact.
- Learn how to Manage your repository files and avoid repository clutter by ignoring some files.

TEAMS
- Trello & Gmail startup tutorial. Keep in touch with the team and pick up your tasks / let us know what you're doing.
- Testing. Deploy to development and test. Rollback and try again if necessary. Learn how important testing is 1

PHP - Backend
- Learn to setup XAMPP under Windows for local development.
- Configure your php.ini, local sites and browser virtual hosts
- API tutorial. Learn how to use CURL.
- Backend Ajax tutorial

Javascript - Frontend
- Basics of Javascript
- JQuery tutorial
- Bootstrap JS tutorial
- Frontend Ajax tutorial

CSS - Frontend
- Basics of CSS
- Bootstrap CSS tutorial

Further more, if you prove your worth in helping to develop Astro Galaxy, you will receive a letter of recommendation my my contact information on request, that will outline the work you did.

Astro Galaxy SDK details:
http://forum.astro-galaxy.com/index.php/topic,9195.0.html

Please send your applications to siremi@etvirtualworlds.com You can include resume / a qualifications list if you want.

If this works out, we will have a Hacker Project SDK soon as well.

Best regards,

Emilian Tita
CEO of ET Virtual Worlds

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: