The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 10:04:49 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Robber Baron AV / PvP improvements  (Read 12990 times)
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »

This idea might work for the File Share and Adware virus's as well.

Back in the day, we could install the virii on our own servers and create virus farms.    This has been moved to filling up the secret servers with virii instead and completely destroying the ability to download/upload various files and such on the secret servers.

I can see working the same way as the robber barons as I mentioned in the previous post.  People installing the File Share and Adware on their own boxes and when they collect it randomly targets one of the factions servers.  The virus would spawn a process on the affected server and the a mission would be generated.  The process would last for the number of hours it had saved up.  If someone is collecting every ten minutes they'd be spawning an additional process (but which would only last the ten minutes since the last spawn).

The Hacker would then have to trace the virus back to its source and then attempt to disinfect it.

The disinfect processes should be reduced to a less than an  hour or so to allow for quick in and out missions.

This would open up the hackers server to further invasion, without making it a "Buy IP or get IP from faction".

The virus would tie up BW, CPU and memory on the hackers server.  On the targeted server it would just contain the linked process.

Multiple processes would reduce the effectiveness of the subsequent virii process.

No one hacker can hit the same server more than once (thus limiting the maximum virii installed by a single player to 150 or so).  But this would more evenly balance out the income amongst the other players.  In addition, a person with 150 5 BW virii would need to start replacing their virii with bigger versions if they want to further improve their income.

The first person to collect against that server (with full BW usage) would get 100% of the virii income and each subsequent hit would generate 20-30% less than the previous hit.  After four or five processes  there would be no income generated from the hit. 

edited for clarity:
(
What I am referring to here is, the hacker's virus is a 150 BW virus.  The targeted server is 150 BW.  The first virii would get the full 150 BW worth of income, the seocond person if they had a full 150 BW would get 20-30% less.

If ten people were to hit the server and all their virii were 15 BW then they all would get 100%.   The next virii to hit the server would get reduced by 20-30%.

If one person where to hit the server with 75 BW and the second person where to hit it with 150 BW then the first would get 100%, the second would get 100% of the first 75 BW and 70% of the second 75 BW.

If a person were to hit the same 150 BW server with a 200BW virus, he would only get credit for the 150BW and the remaining 50BW would be lost.  Virii would randomly hit a server and if it has the available bandwidth it would take it all, but if not, then the remainder is lost.
)

Thus dozens of people spamming virii would interfere with each other and decline the other persons ability to collect from the virus.  It would reduce the guaranteed income from the virus's.  As everyone starts spamming virii collects their chance of getting a guaranteed income is reduced by that amount.

This would then push people to try and disinfect each others servers so they can get more of the income for themselves.

Now, with all the freed up bandwidth we can accept new missions that require us to use bandwidth on the secret servers... stealing files, uploading files and even acquiring better versions of existing files out there...

-Brok

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:35:26 PM by Brok Ironfist » Logged

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »

I was able to gather something like 12 IP addresses from other players way too easily.  Shouldn't be that easy.  Its worse than buying IP addresses.

-Brok

The thing is that people installed Robber Barons on their main servers as the RB was a safe and great way to gain income.

However, with this update I expect to see more specialized servers, the attack server and the research server that won't have the Robber Baron on them to give them away, and maybe the other servers as farm servers with RB on them...

We'll see how this unfolds and take it from there... overall good ideas thank you.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:31:46 AM »

It's true but if we knew this was coming i'm pretty sure every one would have done just that, but it just kind of popped up out the blue...
Maybe you should make an AP cost for accepting missions, that would limit everything nicely, everythign would need to be done in moderation...

Yeah and i hear you can run a million robber baron AV remoteside-localhost and they have to trace you to close them all and spend all there AP on closing the large amount of tasks youve started :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:14:40 PM by Alpha-9 » Logged

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »

The way the kill the baron works; does it actually check for HPD leak or is that something it's just saying? If so then does that mean if i don't collect my baron, missions on my gateway wouldnt popup/.

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »

I know that if you switch factions the new faction will get the mission as well.  I found my barons on multiple faction 1

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:52 AM »

I targetted my own faction now I see antibarons on myself all the time  laugh

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

shouldn't be able to do that

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Tartarus

What you think you know is wrong.

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 02:41:12 AM »

Oh, it's doable.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »

Oh, it's doable.

It doesn't matter. First one to erradicate the Baron on one of the missions get the reward once, and all other missions on the same file are scrapped. Changing Baron target faction will only get you targeted more and reveal your IP to more people that take the mission.

Also, if you own the Baron you can't take the mission on it.

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »

Not only that, but you hamper your own efforts at increasing your faction standings.   laugh

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »

I just like to know where I stand :3

Plus if i see an anti-baron mission on me disappear, time to hide  atention

Exousia
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »

Never tried it myself. I haven't changed factions since the faction update.  7
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »

yeah i threw the dart and it stuck