The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 20, 2024, 01:54:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Poll
Question: Add Destroy Hardware  (Voting closed: July 26, 2010, 01:44:03 AM)
Yes - 3 (50%)
No - 2 (33.3%)
Elaborate further - 1 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Destroy Hardware  (Read 8174 times)
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:03 AM »

I spoke about this briefly elsewhere;

I think it'd be nice if on the hardware page there was a destroy hardware link, similar to how you buy hardware but to get rid of it. It'd be useful because as it stands now you cannot lower your own bandwidth or HDD without malwaring yourself which is sloppy and hits all the stats instead of just one. It wouldn't be unbalanced becauseyou aren't getting the money back you spent on that hardware, simply removing it. This could add a new element of gameplay for keeping files etc. safe at the cost of HPD

Any other thoughts?

Hatejacket
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:11 AM »

Makes it far too easy to get a baron farm going that's impossible to disinfect, along with other possible situations. At least in the current state you have to use some malware time to get rid of your hardware.

What I would like to see is a section of the hardware dealer where you can round your hardware levels up or down after a malware attack.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »

A simple fix for that would be to make it so if you buy any hardware, it rounds it to the nearest whole number

And not really because disinfecting a baron uses hardware on your gateway not theirs, unless you're using their antibaron, which wouldnt/shouldnt be on baron servers anyway
Destroying your own hardware would still damage your rank so I think it'd be good, but i know what you mean and that was my concern with it, but I'm not sure it'd be too much of a problem, other than people being able to drop and raise BW as they please, but as I say, is a critical waste of HPD though, but if you have the income you should have more advantages i guess

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »

There was an idea about this. I think we settled that you can only sell back what is free (not used by any programs, etc.) and you get 50% of the value after all discounts are applied. So if you have 75% discounts on 100 HPD, you get 50% of the 25 HPD.

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »

I wasn't thinking you should get any HPD back afterwards, but making it so you can only get rid of what you have spare sounds like a good idea to me.

Hatejacket
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »

I wasn't thinking you should get any HPD back afterwards, but making it so you can only get rid of what you have spare sounds like a good idea to me.
+1
GlitchH4xor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

+1
+2

The level of tyranny that you will live under is the level of tyranny that you will tolerate.
Thraxian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »

Not to be technical (pun intended), but we're not talking about destroying hardware - we're talking about downgrading our gateway.

I imagine that "Mr Admin" has a server farm somewhere, and sells the users (that's us) a virtual machine that resides on that server farm.  Depending on how much we pay, we are allocated a certain amount of storage, memory, and CPU power to use on that virtual machine.

If we want less power, we should be able to downgrade our gateways (so that's a "+3" for those that are counting), but I'm not sure we should get HPD back.

If you do get back HPD, then the feature becomes an exploitable safety net - you can downgrade your network connection when you log off for the day, ensuring that anyone wanting to upload a virus is not going to finish before you get back.  When you need the connection again to move files around, or upload your own viruses, you simply upgrade it, do your business, then drop it back to nothing.

In fact, maybe there should be a "service charge" required to perform a downgrade.  If users want to exploit this feature to serve as a safety net, they'll have to pay to downgrade, then pay again to upgrade.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:19 PM »

Not to be technical (pun intended), but we're not talking about destroying hardware - we're talking about downgrading our gateway.

I imagine that "Mr Admin" has a server farm somewhere, and sells the users (that's us) a virtual machine that resides on that server farm.  Depending on how much we pay, we are allocated a certain amount of storage, memory, and CPU power to use on that virtual machine.

If we want less power, we should be able to downgrade our gateways (so that's a "+3" for those that are counting), but I'm not sure we should get HPD back.

If you do get back HPD, then the feature becomes an exploitable safety net - you can downgrade your network connection when you log off for the day, ensuring that anyone wanting to upload a virus is not going to finish before you get back.  When you need the connection again to move files around, or upload your own viruses, you simply upgrade it, do your business, then drop it back to nothing.

In fact, maybe there should be a "service charge" required to perform a downgrade.  If users want to exploit this feature to serve as a safety net, they'll have to pay to downgrade, then pay again to upgrade.

Exactly why i thought there shouldn't be a HPD rebate on downgrade. I used the term destroy because that's exactly it, it gets rid of it entirely, the equivelent of you going inside your PC ripping a RAM stick out and chucking it under a bus  1

Exousia
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »

I just had the image of people chucking ram sticks in front of my bus flash through my mind.
termul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

you going inside your PC ripping a RAM stick out and chucking it under a bus

Dropping a screwdriver in a running PC will do the job also (personal experience 9)
Exousia
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 02:00:31 PM »

I always preferred trowing a tree onto the the drop lines and watching all the hardware in the house go POP!

That event reduced my network of four computers to one that still has lingering issues in less than ten seconds.

I had to cannibalize all four to cobble together the one.

As much as I love my wife, I hate competing for compy time and I miss playing games with her over the network.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:02:24 PM by Exousia » Logged
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

that is why you unplug in a heavy storm

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »

you going inside your PC ripping a RAM stick out and chucking it under a bus

Dropping a screwdriver in a running PC will do the job also (personal experience 9)

I dropped my phone onto the processor fan of my PC, it broke the blades but it was fine, this was in the about 6 months i ddint have it bult into a case and had to boot it with a screwdriver, ironically

Don't offtopic this too much ladies.

Seig Heil to the bus driver, the bus driver man

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

Cowardly salvation???

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Pages: [1] 2
Print