The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 01, 2024, 04:44:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Destroy Localhost Logs  (Read 3231 times)
Hatejacket
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:28:24 AM »

Would be nice if we could destroy localhost logs (only localhost, remotehost would be too unfair) with a cost of like 10 AP or something like that. It would permanently delete the log, and you'd be able to do it quicker than waiting the 72h period.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

Instead of just deleting them with your software?

But then surely that kind of defeats the point in there being locahost logs at all...  21

Hatejacket
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »

Instead of just deleting them with your software?

But then surely that kind of defeats the point in there being locahost logs at all...  21

because you know, we are all going to pay 10 AP per log, right? I have over 500 logs currently.
orange

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »

That would be very bad.

See :
Suppose i invade someone's VPC. I want to see which servers he accessed, which he infected, etc :
recover his logs and read everything.

If it becomes possible to delete log, that would not be possible, as the players would remove their logs that shows sensitive data ( like backup server address ).

And if it gets somewhy implemented, the AP cost should be 30 AP MINIMUM. 60 AP would be good as it would not encourage the active players to delete all their logs, but instead, plan which ones to delete.
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »

I think that is his idea Orange.

Currently, with Log Deleter we generally can get a decent size higher than most players out there.  So even if you do get in you most likely will not be able to see the files.  What he is asking for is the ability to make sure the log record vanishes completely as well.

I would propose something a bit more different...

If your Log Deleter is greater than, say, 10 versions higher than the undeleter of the other player, then they would not be able to even see the log to even attempt the undelete.  Pretty close to what HJ is proposing but just hides the entry from the lower level undeleter...

orange

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

I know, broken, but it would be no good that way;
instead, your way is great because it is still possible to recover the log but you won't know he is there unless you're running a nice log undel. - but this should happens only if localhost changed the logs -
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: