The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 09:02:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kernel Version  (Read 4217 times)
Tiak

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »

Okay, so a bunch of operations use the kernel as their main process and have 0.1 next to them as a version...  So, I'm just suggesting  an ability to upgrade the kernel shown.  The rationale would be that the Megacorps, in their supremacy have limited the availability of software such that only operating systems which comply with certain "standards" are widely available.  These operating systems allow for easier entry, easier infection, and more limited capabilities.

Kernel upgrades would very slightly reduce the resources used by all processes, and possibly slighly increase the used version of all running files...  Maybe there could be two options to choose that differ between the two?.  Because they help everything at once upgrading a kernel would both be a lot slower and more costly than upgrading regular software, and would have a period of inactivity/vulnerability associated with it.  If I were upgrade my kernel to 0.102 now, all processes would stop and connections would be disabled for two hours, then for a 15-30 minute period after that was up, I still wouldn't be able to run any processes, but connections would be enabled again.  NPCs distributing kernel versions (Say, a hypothetical internal Hakuza OS) could exist, but the versions they distribute should probably be completely non-upgradable, which would leave you having to revert to your previous kernel, or return to the starting kernel if you wanted something upgradable again.

Yes the above is rather specific, feel free to take any parts of it that are decent and throw away the rest.

(tl;dr : Make kernel version that improve the abilities of all running processes)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:58:43 PM by Tiak » Logged
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

Scrixx123@hotmail.com ekam94 pet_shop123@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »

Okay, so a bunch of operations are kernel versions, and have 0.1 next to them...  So, I'm just suggesting that an ability to upgrade the kernel.  The rationale would be that the Megacorps, in their supremacy have limited the availability of software such that only operating systems which comply with certain "standards" are widely available.  These operating systems allow for easier entry, easier infection, and more limited capabilities.

Kernel upgrades would very slightly reduce the resources used by all processes, and possibly slighly increase the used version of all running files...  Maybe there could be two options to choose that alternate between the two?.  Because they help everything at once upgrading a kernel would both be a lot slower and more costly than regular software, and would have a period of inactivity/vulnerability (i.e. I get file kernel upgrade 0.102, installing this stops all processes and disables connections for 2 hours, then leaves me online, but unable to run anything after I finish that task for 15 minutes).  NPCs distributing kernel versions (Say, a hypothetical internal Hakuza OS) could exist, but the versions they distribute should probably be completely non-upgradable, which would leave you having to revert to your previous kernel, or return to the starting kernel if you wanted something upgradable again.

Yes the above is rather specific, feel free to take any parts of it that are decent and throw away the rest.

(tl;dr : Make kernel version that improve the abilities of all running processes)
I don't completely understand your suggestion. What do you mean upgrade kernels. And for the part where you say upgrading kernel to .102 stops processes and connection, do you mean your gateway has no connection and proccesses killed? I kind of get the idea, for the last part, what do you mean non upgradable and revert to last kernel?Do you mean that if you download something off a server you cannot upgrade it and if you want something upgraded you have to use the software you started of with?

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
Tiak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »

I don't completely understand your suggestion. What do you mean upgrade kernels.

Code:
Action  #ID  Type Details  Version CPU Mem Band
Kill  103012  Kernel  Upload Adware Spam Daemon V 0.*** [***.*.***.***], 3h 41m 29s 0.1  5
/\
||
Changing this
Basically, it'd mean upgrading your operating system.

And for the part where you say upgrading kernel to .102 stops processes and connection, do you mean your gateway has no connection and proccesses killed?
Well, yeah, all of your processes are killed if you have any, and would not be able to be restarted while it was going on, and inbound connections would be temporarily disabled.

I kind of get the idea, for the last part, what do you mean non upgradable and revert to last kernel?Do you mean that if you download something off a server you cannot upgrade it and if you want something upgraded you have to use the software you started of with?
  Essentially, yes...  The idea would be that to upgrade a kernel requires its source code while NPCs would only distribute binaries if they did at all..  The idea was that being able to find an npc that upgrades most of you stuff all at once would be overpowered, so instead they would give you a short term benefit, but very little long-term gain.  Upon further reflection, I don't think this part is really neccesary.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:00:29 AM by Tiak » Logged
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:17:24 AM »

I don't completely understand your suggestion. What do you mean upgrade kernels.

Code:
Action  #ID  Type Details  Version CPU Mem Band
Kill  103012  Kernel  Upload Adware Spam Daemon V 0.*** [***.*.***.***], 3h 41m 29s 0.1  5
/\
||
Changing this
Basically, it'd mean upgrading your operating system.

And for the part where you say upgrading kernel to .102 stops processes and connection, do you mean your gateway has no connection and proccesses killed?
Well, yeah, all of your processes are killed if you have any, and would not be able to be restarted while it was going on, and inbound connections would be temporarily disabled.

I kind of get the idea, for the last part, what do you mean non upgradable and revert to last kernel?Do you mean that if you download something off a server you cannot upgrade it and if you want something upgraded you have to use the software you started of with?
  Essentially, yes...  The idea would be that to upgrade a kernel requires its source code while NPCs would only distribute binaries if they did at all..  The idea was that being able to find an npc that upgrades most of you stuff all at once would be overpowered, so instead they would give you a short term benefit, but very little long-term gain.  Upon further reflection, I don't think this part is really neccesary.

Okay for the first one we can already upgrade, and it's called research :]

Second inbound connections you mean connections going to you? or do you mean outgoing? If you block incoming connections that's considered god mode because no would be able to touch you :S

I really like the last idea though. It will prevent people from just copying off a server for pure benefiet. That means no one would have to research until they have v .2s since npc servers have those. I like the fact that it will give short term benefiet but not long term

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »

he had also been talking about it taking less cpu and the like....... would be useful, i have programs that take up too much memory for them to be easily used

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »

he had also been talking about it taking less cpu and the like....... would be useful, i have programs that take up too much memory for them to be easily used
That's why you upgrade memory along with CPU :]

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »

i do!

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »

i do!
lol i have more trouble with CPU! my memory is has 1/4 the upgrades of the CPU <.<

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: