The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 20, 2024, 08:17:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Increase power of malware?  (Read 5417 times)
sovietpride

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »

With the new restrictions in teh game play, i see a few problems with malware.

1. With the fact that uploads are limited by your targets bandwidth, it now means that you have to wait hours for the file to upload. Then another 2-3 hours for activation. During this time you pray that your target is still asleep, since he can kill any of these process's at any time.

2. Even if the malware is active, a reformat effectively eradicates it before it can do any damage

3. SO perhaps the malware bomb did a lot of damage?

This one had been running for 11.4 hours, and i get this:

Malware BOMB function in progress...
 All hardware on the host was damaged in the overload.
 The host lost 94 CPU!
 The host lost 9627 memory!
 The host lost 2.82 bandwidth!
 The host lost 0.38 HDD!

Which imho is just a tad on the pissy side of weak o_O

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
XRay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »

1. With the fact that uploads are limited by your targets bandwidth, it now means that you have to wait hours for the file to upload. Then another 2-3 hours for activation. During this time you pray that your target is still asleep, since he can kill any of these process's at any time.

This is only true for targets that are significantly weaker than you. It is good that weaker players are better protected against such kinds of attack to avoid excessive griefing.

2. Even if the malware is active, a reformat effectively eradicates it before it can do any damage

In that case, you forced your target to reformat. Hooray, he just lost all his software! Besides, he must come active before you use the malware, so chances are you get a hit on his hardware before he can react. You should also keeo in mind that more advanced players have less time to react because they have more bandwidth and the malware is uploaded faster; this protects newbies, whereas strong players must take greater care to avoid getting their hardware burned.

3. This one had been running for 11.4 hours, and i get this [...] Which imho is just a tad on the pissy side of weak o_O

Since Overload Malware does permanent damage, I think that it should have limited strength. Your malware has done 2689 HPD damage, that is 235 HPD per hour. That seems nasty enough to me.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »

im talking about a level 80-100 player when i say it takes hours...

Jeez, i tested this thing on an npc server, 600 kbs upload, 1 hour 30 minutes.

newbies will take days...

but since people in the 80-100 region typically have < 100 kbs, i still think its a tad too slow o_O...

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »

It will take 7,5 days to download it to a complete newbie with 5 kbit bandwidth. But no one knows how many times he/she kills the process.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

Don't forget that Malware AV is tiny compared to the Malware.  It is only 600 MB to counter a 1.76 or a 2.93 Malware Viri

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

Scrixx123@hotmail.com ekam94 pet_shop123@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »

but since people in the 80-100 region typically have < 100 kbs, i still think its a tad too slow o_O...
Sir Emi's point is that you have a lot of time to react to prevent this. It should be kept at this speed since it can destroy your hardware permanently.

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »

That is now when there are so few players with bandwidth, check back in two weeks you'll see a lot more room and faster malware uploads... also probably more competition eh 1

I suspect malware will be used widely on targets of 1000+ bandwidth and more...

Oh yeah almost forgot, hardware damage is based on percentage damage, so the higher the hardware the higher the damage. If your target hardware were 10 x more powerful, the damage would also be 10 x more powerful...

Formula: hardDamagePerc = 0.5*virVersion*runHours;

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:39:06 PM by siremi » Logged

BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »

That is now when there are so few players with bandwidth, check back in two weeks you'll see a lot more room and faster malware uploads... also probably more competition eh 1

I suspect malware will be used widely on targets of 1000+ bandwidth and more...

Oh yeah almost forgot, hardware damage is based on percentage damage, so the higher the hardware the higher the damage. If your target hardware were 10 x more powerful, the damage would also be 10 x more powerful...

lol one man is about to reach that! im about 1/10 there  16

Hiya! I'm a friendly person, and I like to make new friends :]. I'm very helpful and kind, I keep searching for people who would be there for me and talk to me, and in return I will always be there for them. Let me know if you need anything and I will see what i can do.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »

but im on 1000 bandwidth...

afaik, the only one o_O..

which means itll only be used in pvp situations amongs the very very high level players =o

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »

which is another reason for missions taht give you hardware, maybe there should be "quests" (i know it's cliche) that will give you hardware in return for locating specific software

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
BobbyBob

I will eat you o_o"!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »

which is another reason for missions taht give you hardware, maybe there should be "quests" (i know it's cliche) that will give you hardware in return for locating specific software
put it on suggestions i support this, maybe missions that give out hard drive upgrades or softwares for rewards

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: