The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 01:21:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A tiny issue with "public" files.  (Read 8306 times)
13thSlayer

The post is to the right.

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »

When I make the file public, I get the following:
Changing file #98279 permissions...
 Chmod 777 successfully set...
Setting this file back to private, I get:
Changing file #98279 permissions...
 Chmod 600 successfully set...
Let me inform you that the syntax is OGW (Owner-Group-World), and the numbers are 1 - Execute, 2 - Write, 4 - Read. Thus, 600 is Read/Write for Owner, N/A for others. 777, however, is Read/Write/Execute for everyone :D It's weird that setting the file to private takes the execute flag away from owner. And since I still can run the programs, that's just wrong, lol. To make things short, replace 600 with 700... and 777... I'm not sure how "public" the files are. Can everyone modify them? I doubt it... I think, the best for 777's replacement would be 744. Group doesn't really matter in-game, so... I set G=W. Additional info here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:43:33 PM by 13thSlayer » Logged
Exousia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »

It's a minor thing, but you are absolutely correct.
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »

No Offense..but as a non programmer...who gives a sh*t??? Play the game more and analyze the minute stuff less.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »

No Offense..but as a non programmer...who gives a sh*t??? Play the game more and analyze the minute stuff less.

*cough*

What he said.
Although factual accuracies are preferred, i'd rather see the gameplay features implemented.

Even if it's simples

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

Group doesn't really matter in-game

Actually.... Groups do matter.  This would be great if we could make it public for our group and not for the world at large...

Exousia
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »

I was trying to be polite about it.

Actually.... Groups do matter.  This would be great if we could make it public for our group and not for the world at large...

Interesting idea.
13thSlayer

The post is to the right.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

I'm not a programmer either (well, I'm learning Python but...), I'm just a Linux user :D
Exousia
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »

I *am* a programmer. I have also learned Linux/Unix. It occurred to me that it was wrong but I just rolled my eyes at it because the only two important states are public or private.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have it be "right" but it wasn't important enough in my mind to say anything. This report has, however, raised some interesting ideas and I see other possibilities on the horizon.  13
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »

Nice.

TheLeaderOfTheHOD

Hackers. United through darkness and deception.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »

The game itself is not what real hacking is so I think you should just let it go. Real hacking starts in a terminal. Bouncing is a real aspect of hacking and there are many terms that are accurately applied but the game itself is not real hacking. If a few terms are incorrect, it does not really matter unless it so far of you do not understand what it is.
N3hpy50X3

Deal With It. Don't Get

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »

... so I think you should just let it go. ...

lol_sign
the last post here before yours was over 2 years ago and this whole thread only ran for 2 days until you disturbed the dust

but I think it would be epic if we could set these like the OP said

Actually.... Groups do matter.  This would be great if we could make it public for our group and not for the world at large...
and giving perms to Group-only is equally awesome

private = 700
public = 770 <--- you can allow higher level members to conduct research using your servers and their own HPD
public = 774 <--- if you not in a Group, this means all your other servers can interact with each other without logging

IMHO, World doesn't really matter in-game 16
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:06:53 AM by N3hpy50X3 » Logged

.,..,....,,....,.,,...,,.,,.,.,,.,,.,..,.,,.,,,..,,..,,,..,......,,.,..,.,,,..,,..,......,,....,..,......,,.,,.,.,,..,.,.,,.,,,..,,,.,...,,....,.,,.,,....,......,,..,,,.,,....,.,,.,,.,.,,..,.,.,.,,,.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: