The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 27, 2024, 10:22:50 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Changing ip's kills certain process's  (Read 32061 times)
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2008, 09:48:35 PM »

You mean you guys aren't already?

Nope.  We were taking the high road on this matter.  Heck some of the SGP members have the same IP since they started.

But here is a little trick.

[removed exploit description]

That is how I get Soviet's IP, Ivan's IP, and a few others at zero cost to myself.

I am currently investigating what you described to see if it works or not.
It it does, then it will be treated as a bug and fixed.

[EDIT:]

The described exploit to acquire the new IP does NOT WORK.
It may have worked in the beginning of the game about 20 days ago, but that was fixed when several other bugs where fixed.
Once again, it does NOT work.

Please do not post false information, especially regarding exploits.

The number of IP changes has dramatically gone down due to the 300 AP cost.
There is no need to nerf it more at this time.

This actually did work as of a few days ago.  So it was not false information.  As for it being an exploit, someone brought up that the IP did not change in the Anti-Hacker missions and you had supposidely fixed it according to this which is why I brought it up here.  You are welcome for the report on the factual information.

If I can be of any further help please let me know.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »

Alright, let me try again; currently, one player is disinfecting around 12 of my fileshare virii, worth a total of around 216K HPD. Those processes alone use 24K CPU and 960 megs of RAM. Is this a new or lower player? Obviously not. Fix the stupid bug already. It's not a feature, it's a flaw. It doesn't protect low players, it protects the guerilla tactics of medium-high players (and now that most of SGP is using it as well, the high players). These medium and high players can abuse the advantages of IP change with 50x as many processes running as the true low players (who can't afford to change IP anyways). For the life of me, I can't understand why you think this is a good thing.

ADD:
And before you say "But the AP cost balances it!" the total for this little skirmish is 1200AP - less than one day's AP - for over 200K HPD. Nice, isn't it? I wish I always got returns like that on my virii.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:49:40 AM by Crlaozwyn » Logged
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:02 AM »

Without the option,it just turns into a "who has the highest UnDeleter never loses virii". When you leave them without protection across a multitude of servers,what did you expect to happen? As it stands,anyone able to run the fileshare AV at .4 can kill those virii.

The ability to research a log UnDeleter to ungodly levels is what keeps the IP change available. No one should be able to protect everthing they own by simply having a higher UnDeleter. And before you start on that overused "Get better software" schtick,keep in mind most people cant throw HPD at anything they want and get results.

Why is it a good thing? Balance. Whos looming above you, waiting to exact revenge for doing a mission against their virii? No one,thats who. The fact the only thing the top players fear is someone getting away without "retribution" should be the answer in itself.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »

MasterShake, I heard that you quit.

Since you're commonly recognized as one of the top exploiters of this "feature," I'm not surprised that the IP change/disinfecting of my virii coincides with your return to the forums. Oh well.

Without the option,it just turns into a "who has the highest UnDeleter never loses virii". When you leave them without protection across a multitude of servers,what did you expect to happen? As it stands,anyone able to run the fileshare AV at .4 can kill those virii.
With the option, it just turns into a "who starts the disinfect first." The fact is that they can't be protected by encryption or hide, so why waste AP?

The ability to research a log UnDeleter to ungodly levels is what keeps the IP change available. No one should be able to protect everthing they own by simply having a higher UnDeleter. And before you start on that overused "Get better software" schtick,keep in mind most people cant throw HPD at anything they want and get results.
No, siremi is what keeps IP change available. What's the point in a game where your software doesn't matter? It invalidates the entire point of this game. The way SGP got ahead was banding together - instead of complaining, maybe you should try to do the same thing?

Why is it a good thing?
It's not.
Whos looming above you, waiting to exact revenge for doing a mission against their virii? No one,thats who. The fact the only thing the top players fear is someone getting away without "retribution" should be the answer in itself.
1 - the top players don't "fear" people getting away. This is a game. When an unrealistic, unbalancing "feature" is widely exploited, players who care about the game try to do something about it. 2 - What's the point of a game about hacking where you can't exact revenge when people screw with you? To enlist my help, I'm going to use *drumroll* the dictionary. What exactly, is justice? "the administering of deserved punishment or reward" Oh! Like when someone tries to take something from you, and you stop them? Nice. MS, I'd love to live in a world of your kind of justice - whoever fires the first bullet gets away with the murder.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:39:06 AM by Crlaozwyn » Logged
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »

Guys, stop fighting! Can't you see that you're tearing this family apart!?

Seriously, though. Crlao, Shake's not the only one eating your virii, and Shake, Crlao isn't arguing against IP change to protect his own interests. He thinks, and I agree, that perfect safety through IP changes is a trifle lame. However, I realize that it's better than some alternatives.

P.S. Crlao, I've been thinking about the whole "IP change kills processes" thing, and I've realized that it really would be bad for anyone who's not installing virii, because given 48 hours to track them down, they will NEVER get away with it. *Sigh* This is kinda frustrating.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »

Guys, stop fighting! Can't you see that you're tearing this family apart!?
*claws at Raistlin's throat* No I'm not!

Seriously, though. Crlao, Shake's not the only one eating your virii, and Shake, Crlao isn't arguing against IP change to protect his own interests. He thinks, and I agree, that perfect safety through IP changes is a trifle lame. However, I realize that it's better than some alternatives.
I know Shake isn't the only one - hell, with the current system, everyone should be disinfecting virii. It's half less than as expensive as installing them, and gives you more money. And yes, the system could be worse than it is now.

P.S. Crlao, I've been thinking about the whole "IP change kills processes" thing, and I've realized that it really would be bad for anyone who's not installing virii, because given 48 hours to track them down, they will NEVER get away with it. *Sigh* This is kinda frustrating.
Thank you for being thoughtful about this instead of just spewing knee-jerk reactions that suit your own best interests 1 Maybe the solution is in somehow allowing people to speed up processes? 53 hours for a disinfect is too long. 240 hours for a delete process is way too long.

It's not just disinfects that are being abused, though I do see that most often - smart players switch IP with long deletes or even when hacking a powerful opponent because there's no repercussions. Some players with limited bandwidth even switch IP when uploading virii so the process won't be stopped. It's not just disinfects/virus break that's being abused - it's the very core of the game. Nothing has ANY repercussions because no one can ever find you. Without the ability to track an opponent, the game really is pointless.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2008, 11:16:08 AM »

But everything is balanced...  Who am I impersonating??  /lol

Look seriously.   People are even using IP Change now when they are installing virii much less that disinfecting them.  It is going both ways now.

I have been thinking of starting a topic on the SGP public forums about exploits permissable by Sir Emi.   And reading these forums is making me want to do it all the more.  Maybe when I get up and start cooking, I will work on it.   Because honestly, when I have brought forth items here they suddenly become exploits and I am told I am giving false information.

Let New World Order commence.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »

why don't you just make your own game based off of this as the reset one??? talk to emi, would solve your boredom on high ups end too.....

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »

I doubt emi would give away the code behind the game, knowing full well that in doing so, he'd lose most of his higher up player base.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »

why don't you just make your own game based off of this as the reset one??? talk to emi, would solve your boredom on high ups end too.....

I would rather help Emi fix this game and make it a winner.

Honestly I was looking over the changes and I apologize but most of the changes made thus far are due to SGP.

So I figure if I put together a list of exploits that Emi says are game balancing and everyone starts using them then maybe just maybe Emi will see how unbalancing they really are.

I am just glad he is finally putting caps into place like I suggested.   Emi is a good guy.   I think though that when anyone in SGP makes a suggestion or crits one of his changes he thinks we are only looking after ourselves.

I mean up until I took the reigns off of SGP non of us where using God Mode.  Now I expect us all to use God Mode.

After AP went in I started changing my IP 1-3 times a day just to show how useless the AP idea is.  And I am still disinfecting far more than I am infecting.  In fact people who are on my claimed servers are quickly finding their Virii getting disinfected.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »

My opinion in this matter is that all noninternal processes are killed when IP is changing. EXEPT for virii. But the virii should have to be restablished by the installer and former owner only. This means that the guy with new IP have to expose it in order to have functional virii.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »

My opinion in this matter is that all noninternal processes are killed when IP is changing. EXEPT for virii. But the virii should have to be restablished by the installer and former owner only. This means that the guy with new IP have to expose it in order to have functional virii.

I disagree as when you go to collect it will be with the new IP anyways.   Spyware will show that new IP and will actually make Spyware useful.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »

I disagree as when you go to collect it will be with the new IP anyways.   Spyware will show that new IP and will actually make Spyware useful.

I like that idea, maybe have Spyware collect only the new IP if it is a bit lower than the virii... so if you are at least (Virii Version * .9) then you get to see the collector's IP but fail to intercept the money.  I dunno something to flesh out Spyware and PvP a bit more.

Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »

Instead of my usual psuedo-slander,I may have unintentionally stumbled across a potential solution (Although some people wont be happy until they see it removed entirely,which I dont agree with). When using an IP change,have it check to see what processes are currently running and multiply the AP cost/hardware need/HPD cost accordingly. This would limit the amount of processes any given gateway would be capable of running and still have the IP changed. On the low end-new players have few processes running when needing the IP change,and wouldnt effect the cost as much. On the high end-You would need to manage what you could actually run at the same time and still use the IP change,but overall would be able to run fewer disinfects/captures/etc.. Obviously this is one of those time consuming things,but it may have the potential to help alleviate this situation.

Broadcasting Live from the Necropolis
  Master Shake

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »

Elaborate please.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to: