The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 16, 2024, 03:23:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Changing ip's kills certain process's  (Read 32043 times)
HJ®
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »

Bah, am I the hardest worker on this game?

I only have half a dozen virii...
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

urgh

you CANNOT kill ip changes or gateway password changes.

@ crl, the point is, when you get to my level its far easier to just dis-infect virii on servers you want to fill with crap and plant your own.

After all, i would rather have my v1.5 adware out and about then caging some poor newbie's 0.1 adware. (for sake of the arguement)
Reason being that spyware come's into play (despite the fact i destroy it whenever i see them).

Why would i waste my system resources to cage some petty 3hpd an hour software when i could be flooding servers?

On the flip side, i could grab a high-level adware that only the high-level players have, change ip, and wait.

What do you know, under half a day, i get my ip change, and i get lots of hpd which doesn't belong to me.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:46:57 PM by sovietpride » Logged

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »

Well, it makes sense that you can't kill IP changes, otherwise you could keep someone under your thumb forever. They have to have SOME escape route, and forcing them to format would be a trifle ridiculous.
HJ®
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

The point is, and i'm sure at least 75% of players agree with me, The Virus Breaker either needs to be nixed, changed so that it's not overpowered, or a new software needs to be implemented to balance it.

- Have the Virus Breaker software show on remotehost when stealing virii? (It shows when virii are being uploaded/installed)
- Possibly a "Virus Firewall"? That way, your Virus Breaker would at least need to be higher as the V. Firewall to steal virii. you would have to run each application on each virus via remotehost...Upload + Install, same as virii. It would have to require high CPU/Mem, but low BW to be able to run virii + Firewall on lower BW servers.
sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

possibilities now include:

1. Ip changes to be increased (not fair on other people)
2. Ip change means all external connections are severed. Deletes maybe, virii related definitely. (cept owned virii)
3. Protection software for virii to protect against breaker (currently no defence)

ehhh i forgot the others, but the breaker is so freeaing over pwoered atm ><

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »

making IP change drop connections is the most true-to-life solution; that's why I'm so confused on why it doesn't do it already. If you've ever tried changing your IP in real life, all your connections die - downloads can be resumed with managers, but even those connections are definitely severed when the IP changes.
HJ®
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »

Once again, I agree with Crl. IP Change should kill all processes, breaker + AV included.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

So, it seems like this issue is dead and we're all resigned to the "god mode" that is IP Change? Even with AP cost, the money you make from disinfecting even one higher virus far outpays any other actions that can be taken in the game. With no way to stop any process against you, what's the point of this game?
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 01:38:41 PM »

Okay, I'm with Crlaozwyn on this one. This is still a big issue, even if we all seem to have forgotten about it. I can't offer any fixes that haven't already been proposed (namely, changing IPs should kill external processes like uploads or disinfects), but honestly, it seems kind of ridiculous that I could start 5 simultaneous file share disinfects at 11 thousand HPD apiece, change my IP once for 1k, and sit tight for the next 48 hours in perfect safety.
DrJones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »

I definately say there should be some sort of loss for changing IP, I thought the point was to be stealthy not hop IPs all the time. I'm in favor of increasing the time it takes to do and killing of processes.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »

Siremi, in case there's a doubt that players in general don't like the way IP change is currently being exploited, here is a list of people in THIS thread alone who have voiced their concerns:

sovietpride
Master Shake
XRay
Raistlin
Hatejacket
virus man
Crlaozwyn
Tiak
DrJones

9 people in this thread alone - more than prompted the change in AP. IP changing is a necessary tool to protect people from the continued assault of other hackers. BUT it should be a defensive tool and not an offensive one. As it stands, anyone (for a small fee of hpd and AP) can gain exponential returns without the possibility of being stopped. With the new AP system, disinfecting virii is the most viable way to make money, and IP change makes it pointless to install a virus at all unless you plan to disinfect it yourself. As it stands, every virus with a mission (80% according to you) will be disinfected. In fact, I'm finding that even virii WITHOUT missions are being disinfected because people don't take the time to check whether there's a mission.

To sum up:
THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT MUST BE FIXED
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »

I didn't even think of that functionality for IP change... wow.

I'm on the bandwagon now... that is very, very broken.

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

my eyes o.o

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »

i.p. change IS essentially god mode, that does need to be fixed...........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »

Ok Sir Emi - that brings the people who have voiced that they'd like this changed up to 11. How many do you need?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to: