The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 29, 2024, 07:06:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hardware purposes  (Read 2780 times)
TenTonApe

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

I've looked through the game guide but it never mentions this. What do CPU, Hard Drives, Memory do? (I know what bandwidth does)
And which is most important?
XRay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »

Hi!

CPU and memory increase the number of processes you can have running at once. Every running process, like your firewall, unhider, password breaker, deleting files etc. needs system resources. If you upgrade your hardware, you can run more programs at once, thus allowing you to do more missions. You should also keep in mind that the hardware usage is proportional to the software version, so in order to run better software, you need more CPU and memory. The speed of your processes is not affected by your hardware for balancing reasons. Your deleting, password breaking and virus disinfection take a fixed amount of time that cannot be influenced.

HD is only for storage of data. Upgrade this when your harddisc is full.

Bandwidth increases the speed of your uploads and downloads. It is useful for downloading files from public servers before they get deleted by other players, and it's important when you want to upload viruses. Uploads to other players' gateways are also capped by their bandwidth, so more bandwidth doesn't help you to infect players faster if they have less bandwidth than you.

Now which one is most important? That depends on your playing style. I advise to upgrade your CPU first so that you can do more delete file missions at once. Later you can switch to upgrading your bandwidth and start earning money by spamming viruses, or you can continue to improve your CPU to do even more missions. Upgrade your memory only when you notice that you need more. Deleting files - the most common mission - doesn't need any memory, so CPU is usually more important.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:04 PM »

According to the SGP guide, you either want to upgrade CPU and run missions or upgrade Bandwidth and run virii.

The other two should be upgraded on an as-needed basis.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: