The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 04:51:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Don't be evil."
Poll
Question: Who likes this idea
Yes
No

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Suggestion for networks  (Read 3201 times)

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 05:31:53 AM »

Hi guys, I have an idea for HP which I believe will improve the game play and make it fairer for people to play. Firstly, I propose that each server of a user be interlinked in a network, like in real life. Players access the internet from a gateway, which all the servers must go through. Hence, there is only one ip per person, regardless of the number of servers. Also, each server will ping to the gateway from time to time, so that no server is same in an attack. Furthermore, the user can allow people to enter specific servers in his network to share files etc.  In this way, many new opportunities can be opened up for both attacking and defending parties.

Secondly, I think that it would be a good idea to form “group networks” which is basically group members linking their networks together. Then, all the networks in the group’s network will have to access the internet through the group gateway. In this way, all connections will be traced to the group gateway and so, any attacks against group members would have to be done through the gateway. This will be a great for defenders as group members can guard their networks from attacks together. However, attackers can also pool their total resources together ( as in instead of just using one server to overload, group members can pool their respective resources together to overload the opponent’s group gateway protects. Once inside the network, well......1

I believe that this would be fairer as it is unlikely that there is going to be a firewall/password protects that a whole group cannot take down, and so it will all boil down to real skills at detecting intrusions and preventing people from finding the group network. It also come down to teamwork, as if one group member makes a mistake and let others find the group network, the whole group is compromised. It is also very fair to new players with no group, as although they may not be able to crack into large group’s networks, there is a lesser chance of their ips getting discovered.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:15:59 AM by 99717 » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:36 AM »

place holder for future ideas 1
Obsidiian

I enjoy your company... Actually, thats a lie.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »

Sounds good to me.
I, originally, had thought this is what it meant by groups. Of course, I was wrong, but still. Networking would be awesome, but it is kind of a big change. I personally don't think this would be easy to program either. Either that, or there's some exploits people could use.

That, and as an add-on to the idea, maybe(if this is even implemented) you could pay for multiple networks as well, instead of having all your servers interlinked at once. It seems like a smarter idea to me, having a back-up I mean.

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step!"
N3hpy50X3

Deal With It. Don't Get

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »

so we can create sort of like a LAN?

I don't agree with... maybe if we include MAC address
problem with only one IP per player is which computer is recieving downloads....this means that you don't upgrade individual server bandwidth? bc then you need a router to route all the connections to the right server...so you just ugrade the router and it upgrades the bandwidth across all servers?

if every server doesn't have a unique identifier (currently an IP address) then the system won't work, imo but I could be wrong

I think you should be able to create a Group Network, connected to GS, so that when a player connects their server to the GS, it is removed from the World Wide Network...the GS wouldn't be accessible by other players (only by Group Members who are given permissions to enter the Group Network)
this would give strengths to having Group...but then, what's the point for Secure FTP (so not gonna happen)

...sorry, I couldn't be bothered reading everything, so I may be lacking informations (maybe I'll get around to it later)

.,..,....,,....,.,,...,,.,,.,.,,.,,.,..,.,,.,,,..,,..,,,..,......,,.,..,.,,,..,,..,......,,....,..,......,,.,,.,.,,..,.,.,,.,,,..,,,.,...,,....,.,,.,,....,......,,..,,,.,,....,.,,.,,.,.,,..,.,.,.,,,.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: