The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 29, 2024, 05:39:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Will this game have resets?  (Read 12512 times)
Player

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »

Hi,  17

Just wondering if this game will feature a persistent world or having periodic resets.  confused2

Doomsday is Coming! Run for It!
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure there won't be resets, but maybe Siremi will create another version that does? *hint hint* :P
jem6502

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

I've been wondering about that.

Of course like Raistlin hints at having both would be great.

One world is the persistant world where yesterdays gains are always carried forward.  This world would kind of force new players to join existing crews in the long run.

Another world (or worlds) would be peridodically restarted when certain win / domination conditions are met.  The cool thing about these worlds is you could evolve the software in different ways, and even bring in new ideas that would be unworkable in the persistant world.  New players could have a real chance at dominating new worlds, unlike the persistant world.
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:40:39 PM »

Actually, I think having both might be necessary, for the survival of the game. On the persistent world, it's nearly impossible to climb the leaderboard starting from the bottom, so new players are discouraged from joining after the first few weeks, whereas with resets, everyone is on even footing every time we start over. On the other hand, people paid for gold memberships with expectations of a permanent world, so you can't just reset the main server. Just my thoughts.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:54:17 PM »

Actually, I think having both might be necessary, for the survival of the game. On the persistent world, it's nearly impossible to climb the leaderboard starting from the bottom, so new players are discouraged from joining after the first few weeks...

I disagree. I've found that if the social structure is right in a persistent game, newer players can feel a part of the game without climbing to the top by supporting the elder elites. However, there would need to be a way for people to support each other: I'm not sure how doable that is with the current rules.

On the other hand, I dislike games that reset because it means that any work you've put into the game disappears. Partial resets might be an option, where NPSs reinstall, wiping out the virii on them, and changing their IPs. If they were one of the initial True Light servers, the old players would have to find them again (not too difficult, but still annoying), while players coming into the game would get the IPs as normal.

Also, having two games going in parallel, where one game would be periodically reset, while the other (the current one) would be kept going. The issue I see with this is that most new players would tend towards the reset world, where they can grow unimpeded (for the most part), while the persistent server would ultimately stagnate.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
jem6502

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

... most new players would tend towards the reset world, where they can grow unimpeded (for the most part), while the persistent server would ultimately stagnate.

I guess I would prefer the persistent world to stagnate and die rather than force new players into what is essentially a caste system in order to sustain the desires of the Gold Membership class.

Oh and I do like the partial resets that might make the permanent world more doable.  All public servers revision up in software.  Think of it as monthly maintenance by the physical support staff.  This would force the elites to have to re-infect the existing servers (in competition with any newcomers that have raised themselves up since the last partial reset).  Also for completely new players this would give them immediate access to newer versions without compromising their own IPs to get them from an elite hacker/crew.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:21:49 PM by jem6502 » Logged
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »

I don't think the software levels should be increased: doing so would make it harder for said new players to get admin access, which is necessary for doing anything.

However, if you give every NPS a small chance to reformat periodically (perhaps 1% each day: each individual server would reset once every three months or so), that would mean that people who had filled a server with their programs would have to re-establish themselves, while giving everyone else a chance to get a foothold.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Player

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »

:O

I was expecting a simple yes or no answer  14

So, i guess we have to wait for an admin to give a definite answer.  laugh

Doomsday is Coming! Run for It!
jem6502

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »

I don't think the software levels should be increased: doing so would make it harder for said new players to get admin access, which is necessary for doing anything.

I was assuming the new player / reformatted server software versions would keep pace with public server versions.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

If you look at Space Odyssey you will see we have both a persistent world and one with resets, so yeah we will have both in HP too.

The reset will be kind of cool, like a bang where everything blows up and with prizes at the end, and after it's done the whole world blows up and it's rebuild again like a Doom's Day.

human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »

If you look at Space Odyssey you will see we have both a persistent world and one with resets, so yeah we will have both in HP too.

The reset will be kind of cool, like a bang where everything blows up and with prizes at the end, and after it's done the whole world blows up and it's rebuild again like a Doom's Day.

Where is that?

EoD's forums

~~ Human ~~ EoD Co-Leader
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »

In my signature...

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:55:16 PM »

i like partial idea best................. maybe have it be that it's the equivalent of EVERYTHING! formatting (including all public/secret servers)
that way returning players will still have some advantages

reset time could be once 1.0 software is reached, or server's surpass some level

and i've played space odyssey for a little while, didn't stick with it tho, i think i started to late................ and don't have time now,maybe in a couple months

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
HJ®
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:54 PM »

i like partial idea best................. maybe have it be that it's the equivalent of EVERYTHING! formatting (including all public/secret servers)

reset time could be once 1.0 software is reached, or server's surpass some level

and i've played space odyssey for a little while, didn't stick with it tho, i think i started to late................ and don't have time now,maybe in a couple months

Lol, so we're gonna reset every couple days?
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

Lol, so we're gonna reset every couple days?

i wouldn't play a game that reset that often, it makes the entirety of my work pointless

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: