The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 29, 2024, 09:50:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: research & the human factor  (Read 9356 times)
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »

My idea was that the more a program was used, the more chance you would have to see how it worked, and thus the better you could make it.

In GURPS, for example, there are three speeds at which you can learn something:

Normal speed for study. Taking classes, reading books, and the like fall into this category.
Double speed for intensive study. One on One training, military Boot Camp, and similar things fall into this category
Half or Quarter speed (I forget which) for field work. I'm not studying, but I'm practicing it.

I was suggesting a similar thing. Research represents study: you are actively looking for ways to improve your program. However, if your program is running, you might notice things that would make it better. These small improvements aren't going to be close to what you get when you're actively looking, but you still get minor improvements that help it out a little.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »

So your saying if the programs do start gaining exp it would be very little?

ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

The gains for using software should be small enough that researching is still the best way to get better software; even after factoring in cost of research vs. Pay for using software. However, it should be large enough that it's noticeable.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »

Sorry but using software does not make it better.  Anyone remember the Computer Game called Starship Troopers??  That game is so riddled with bugs etc that no matter how many times you play it the bugs are still there.

Software gets better by actually hacking away at it.  That is where the term Hacking actually comes from.  Hacking away at code to make it more efficient.

One perfect example of this is Aircrack-NG which can crack WEP in under 5 minutes.  It can crack WPA and WPA2 as well but those both take longer.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 01:20:10 AM »

0.0 that solves key problem at school..........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »

0.0 that solves key problem at school..........

Works great.  I won't go into detail as it is against the law.  But I only posted it to show how the human factor could be implemented.

That software pack is a conglomeration of work by several people working together.

It also shows how something that is fully functional under 1 operation system, linux, is still in the process of being made functional under another operating system, windows.

That way it kills 2 birds with 1 stone since you had suggested having different operating systems in this game.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »

So it will be like a program experience modification?

EoD's forums

~~ Human ~~ EoD Co-Leader
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: