The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 29, 2024, 12:39:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Heat instead of AP  (Read 7311 times)
Noseedam

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

so far this seems the better idea (i'm just reposting this, this was not my idea)

the more programs you run the more heat you generate is the concept, and you ahve to keep your server under a certain heat in order for it to function properly and not drop whats it's doing currently (i'm hoping firewalls and passwords would restart!)

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »

So, I'm going to post my idea for heat (because it was my idea originally).

Each server (player and non-player) gets a new value: Heat.

Every minute, heat changes as follows:

-10 automatically
-90 if it is a Non-player server (for -100 total)

+1 for every point of bandwidth used
+1 for every 100 Mhz used
+1 for each program on overload

Servers start with a Heat Capacity of 1000. This can be upgraded.

If a server hits its heat capacity, 1 random upgrade is lost, all running programs that can be killed are, and heat drops by 25% of the Heat Capacity.

Malware Bombs would be changed to instead increase Heat a certain amount; ideally keeping their effect as close to what it currently is.

A new type of virus, Overclockers, would be added. Overclockers add 10*level in heat per minute.

I suggest there be no way to increase the passive cooldown speed. As such, the only way to do more, is to either intentionally overheat your server, and take 150 or 300 HPD in damages, or buy additional servers.

This would be a better balancing system than AP. As I have posted it, a new server would not need to worry about heat: Even if you use full bandwidth and processor, you are at +0 hpm (heat per minute). However, once you start upgrading your server, you start having to watch heat: my server has a maximum heat of +11. I suspect some of SGP might be able to overheat their computer in under an hour, if they tried.

Also, because it stops EVERYTHING when you overheat, there's a moment there where a lucky or opportunistic hacker could get into your server, no matter what version FW and PP you have. Another balancing factor.

I'd like to know what SGP and other high-level hackers think about this.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

i'd like to see it happen, and maybe have 0.2's and lower not generate heat, that way newbies can get set up before hand and not have to worry, whereas uppers have to be careful, and maybe get set back a few days waiting on heating to get upgraded, and also have heating be really expensive, so that people will focus less on overload and more on research

Vintermark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:26:30 AM »

well then the malware bomb get obsolete... Just clogg the victims computer with apps and let it overheat. Dont have to upload anything, instant destructions, well the time it takes to overheat.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:59:34 AM »

What I said origianly for the cooling idea was the cooling is mainly for the overloading. What I mean is that your server will have a starting cooling systeme, it can be called "Cooling Power" and measured in electricity so"Watts" so 100 watts. The server cooling default would run at 50 watts. When overloading a program the heat of the processor will start going up when the cooling power load average is over 51% there is a chance that that file will crash. The closer to 100% it gets the more likely it will crash.

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »

well, with my 7500 bandwidth that means im f0000ked already o.o

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:11:26 AM »

he had a point, defiantly on reset servers, but for now maybe have the ability to purchase, and have it not be in effect (yet)

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:20:40 PM »

I disagree with the heat at what ever the current computer is running, it should only effect or be effected by overloading programs. That way those that are already so high dont need to by thousands of HPD for there hard they had long before the cooling system had gone into effect.

ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »

well, with my 7500 bandwidth that means im f0000ked already o.o

Maybe there will have to be a way to cool your computer faster. I had no idea that people had that powerful computers.

Or maybe you get +1 cooling every 10 upgrades. Just some ideas.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
MaTeMaTiC

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »

It could be good idea. And in hardware there colud be fans (using energy or sth but cheaper ) and radiators (more expensive but with no cost of working).
Tiak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:37:18 AM »

If implimented as proposed, it would be much more limiting than AP, after 2 weeks or so of play you would only be able to play about 5 minutes a day or so, it would be impossible to run even the defenses secret servers have available, and it would be pretty much impossible to disinfect/capture any virus of a reasonably high level...  Revise/resubmit if you feel like making it decent, as this -could- have potential, just not as described.
DrJones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »

Yeah, as described this sounds more limiting then AP. I'm also not fond of loosing upgrades if heat accidently hits 100%.
Vintermark

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »

Instead of loosing upgrades when hitting heat 100%, why not a 10 minute reboot?
My BIOS shuts down my computer instantly when it reaches a certain temperature threshold.
PauloHaddad

paulochf@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »

(...)
Also, because it stops EVERYTHING when you overheat, there's a moment there where a lucky or opportunistic hacker could get into your server, no matter what version FW and PP you have. Another balancing factor.
(...)
My PC freezes and everyone can access but me? It isn't logic.

If I write something wrong, grammatically speaking, please msg me!
please

Thx!  13
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »

For me when my laptop gets to hat it slows down the CPU so it dosn't heat up as much.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: