The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 29, 2024, 02:22:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Allow Access  (Read 3280 times)
Araeus

View Profile Email
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »

I think there should be some way to allow a person access to a server.  Maybe only servers you own, maybe a server you have admin to (although that could get abused pretty easily, people start selling other people's IP's and accesses to others... but then again you could give your newer friend access to an inactive server you found and use that to help give him stuff... I dunno)

This could either be done with some sort of password functionality (which would make sense... set the pass and give it to someone so they don't have to crack to get in to the server) or by some sort of allow access function (X and Y are allowed access to server Z, kind of like a whitelist of people that you trust to let in to a certain server)

I say this because of the recent push by Noseedam and others for a noob repository server.  If you want people to be able to upload to the server to distribute software, you would either have to drop the protection versions for a while so they can get in, or they would just have to be strong enough to get in on their own.

My initial thought is that you could have the server dynamically generate a passcode that allows access, and once that code is used it cannot be used by another person for access.  Then, if you change the password on the server or anything you have to re-issue passcodes to everyone you want to have access again.  This allows for password-like functionality while trying to keep it from being abused... maybe even have the passcode tailored to the person's name that you are giving access to, to try and keep people from selling passcodes to other players.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:11:33 PM »

i like this! and maybe make there be a few publicly available servers like this, secrets similar to it, and also private dump servers, where you only upgrade bandwidth and memory

would also help for the groups as well, and avoids full cost of new server to make a good dumping ground........... but restrictions! as much as i want too see newbies succeed, i don't want uber noobers!!! (over powered newbies) running amok and making life miserable for the rest of us! all the while they're getting cracked and killed!

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
termul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »

Isn't this what the 'public' button at every file on HDD is for. Others can connect to the server and access these public files without the need for admin-access (e.g. without cracking it first). And maybe even without revealing their ip... havent tried that out.
Or am i missing the point here ?
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »

Public is just a start, but if you don't want the file to be public but you still want people to be able to get it then you can't. 

Also you can't upload to a server you aren't an admin to (afaik) so you can't share with someone else on a secured server unless you both already have it cracked.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »

Isn't this what the 'public' button at every file on HDD is for. Others can connect to the server and access these public files without the need for admin-access (e.g. without cracking it first). And maybe even without revealing their ip... havent tried that out.
Or am i missing the point here ?

Problem is Public is unrestricted.  That means anyone can get that file so unless you want to baby sit it and kill xfers to those you don't want to have the files it is a total waste of time.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: