The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 20, 2024, 06:52:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Counterstrike Defenses  (Read 11638 times)
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »

The thread inspired by Shadowrun reminded me of a CCG I play: Netrunner.

In Netrunner, there are three defenses a player can use: Walls (Akin to firewalls), Code Gates (Password Protection), and Sentries (My suggestion).

While Walls and Code Gates keep you out, Sentries don't necessarily. But they do hurt. Some cause damage, some trace you, some just make life uncomfortable.

In line with this, I suggest the following new programs, with names inspired by Netrunner:

ICEbreaker: Lowers the effective level of all ICE effecting you by it's level. If the effective level of an ICE is below 0, it has no effect.

ICE-Killer: The server it is on begins deleting a random program on your server. If you manage to get in, this process can be stopped, but if it is on a NPS, it completes immediately when the time runs out.

ICE-PitBull: The server you linked from is unable to link for a number of minutes equal to 10*level. If level is above .5, it traces back one bounce per .5 levels. This also prevents access.

ICE-AP: Loads an killable process onto your server that eats up 100Mhz and 1Kbs for 10*level minutes. When the time is up, you can complete it as normal.

ICE-Undead: Starts at .05, research progresses at half speed. Is not effected by ICEbreakers of a lower level. Deletes a program as  per Killer, plus costs you 100 HPD in server repairs. Also disconnects you, as if you hit the Disconnect button.

The ICE programs go off as soon as you try to Crack Admin, and you are alerted if any ICE take effect on you including what they are.

I would suggest not having any ICE available on the Software Repositories, and prevent uploading of ICE to public servers (or at least Killers and Undead), as a way to keep newbies safe. However, private and secret servers are fair game, and make a password change more powerful.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »

i think these should be use more as defense than possible protections for their virii.............. as it stands that would really crap a newbie just trying to get into their first secret server, who doesn't read forums..........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

Maybe some of those ideas can be used. You would need to buy them from the soft waredealer and they would cost a bus load HPD.

sovietpride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »

bus loads of hpd arent a problem to the high end players i can assure you.

quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »

he has a point, i leave game for 23 hours and in that time generate (over) 2000 HPD

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »

bus loads of hpd arent a problem to the high end players i can assure you.

Thats the whole point you need to work for the soft ware. Think about it if a whole bunch of newbies get a hold of the software that you guys have they'll go over board with it. But if you had work hard for the soft ware you limit your self so noone gets it.

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

again, true, and while giving the newbies a boost, we shouldn't let them over run us (uber noobers o_o  laugh)

which is why there's better software on newbie dump, but it's not public..........

HJ®
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »

These type of ideas never work in any game. For one, your descriptions aren't that well thought out. Two, what does the game have to do with ICE? What does anything have to do with ICE? Are we playing Hacker Project at the North Pole now? Three, no game run by anyone upstanding would call their software "Undead", "Pitbull" or "Killer". That's why you can re-name your own software. Leave it to that.

Now, not to be nitpicky..

- No software would be started at 0.5, that'd be pointless
- Why would you make a program that simply fills up CPU space? Just run different programs. I don't have any programs on my Personal PC that I use simply to run my CPU.
- I don't even know what the hell you're trying to say with that puppydog software, but it's too confusing.
- NO programs, I repeat, NO PROGRAMS should complete on their own.
- Why would ANYONE want to randomly delete files? There are a multitude of problems with this and none of them have a bright side.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but come on, these kind of ideas are for your own game.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »

i think these ideas should be refined, because as you pointed out (this is critiquing, not being an @$$) this isn't fully thought out....... rethink it, i think you MIGHT be onto something that could be a good idea, and we need more software variation, there's always stronger, but we need different just as much

HJ®
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »

There's a difference between "Software variation" and completely re-changing the face of the game.

There's also a difference between critiquing and being an ass, and as you so willfully gave me your IGN, I could show you that if you'd like.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »

this isn't my ign......... and i know difference, and this COULD be a a good deterrent from blindly attacking a server, and maybe use Nmap scanners more, to avoid potential losses, that was why i was saying that it MIGHT be a good concept, and it would only change the attack part, and (some) would make good defensive weaponry, for while your off-line and can't do anything yourself.......

tho the software would have to be illegal, such as it can't be uploaded (cept to private servers) and can't be downloaded from anywhere except truelight servers 

this would also make it INCREDIBLY! rare, and price from dealer, if not illegal from him

there would alos have to be counter software........

HJ®
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:08 AM »

this isn't my ign......... and i know difference, and this COULD be a a good deterrent from blindly attacking a server, and maybe use Nmap scanners more, to avoid potential losses, that was why i was saying that it MIGHT be a good concept, and it would only change the attack part, and (some) would make good defensive weaponry, for while your off-line and can't do anything yourself.......

tho the software would have to be illegal, such as it can't be uploaded (cept to private servers) and can't be downloaded from anywhere except truelight servers 

this would also make it INCREDIBLY! rare, and price from dealer, if not illegal from him

there would alos have to be counter software........

1. I know your in game name. Call me on it one more time and I'll have some fun with it.

The point is, you don't go to McDonald's and tell them you want to sell this new product: The Super-Ultra Mega ICE Blah Blah Blah. It's gonna cost 3.50 and when you take a bite, you chew differently.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:48:31 AM »

These type of ideas never work in any game. For one, your descriptions aren't that well thought out. Two, what does the game have to do with ICE? What does anything have to do with ICE? Are we playing Hacker Project at the North Pole now? Three, no game run by anyone upstanding would call their software "Undead", "Pitbull" or "Killer". That's why you can re-name your own software. Leave it to that.

Now, not to be nitpicky..

- No software would be started at 0.5, that'd be pointless
- Why would you make a program that simply fills up CPU space? Just run different programs. I don't have any programs on my Personal PC that I use simply to run my CPU.
- I don't even know what the hell you're trying to say with that puppydog software, but it's too confusing.
- NO programs, I repeat, NO PROGRAMS should complete on their own.
- Why would ANYONE want to randomly delete files? There are a multitude of problems with this and none of them have a bright side.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but come on, these kind of ideas are for your own game.

Some things:

1) This is just an idea, having been pulled from another game. I'm well aware it's going to need a lot of work.
2) ICE stands for Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics, and is used to refer to defensive programs in several games I know of.
3) The names I gave were from the other game. Obviously they would need changing: It might even go into copyright issues if they weren't. Again, Ideas.
4) the "Undead" doesn't start at .5, it starts at .05. It needs to be weaker, because it's more powerful.
5) the "AP" doesn't run my CPU: It runs your CPU when you try to crack me. Hopefully, it uses enough to cause you problems.
6) "Pitbull" stops everyone from connecting from the server hit: No bouncing through it, and no starting a connection if it's your Gateway.
7) The Autocompletion was a way to make "Killer"s dangerous if they were loaded on a NPS: otherwise, they would never complete.
8) Again, I'm randomly deleting your files when you try to crack my server. Sure I might get a piece of junk, but I might also get your Password Break.

Now that I've handled the nitpicking, how about you comment on the general idea, which is a new type of software that messes with anyone who tries to crack your server. I just offered some ideas, based on another game I play. For all I care, none of them could be implemented, but I would like to see something I can do to people who hack me other than wait for them to get in, and change my password/IP.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
HJ®
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 01:54:48 AM »

1) This is just an idea, having been pulled from another game. I'm well aware it's going to need a lot of work.

I stopped reading the rest after "having been pulled from another game". Suggestions =/= Copying others work.

2) ICE stands for Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics, and is used to refer to defensive programs in several games I know of.

That's nice. Do you think all of the firewall programs in the world are called Firewall Protect?

3) The names I gave were from the other game. Obviously they would need changing: It might even go into copyright issues if they weren't. Again, Ideas.

See #1

4) the "Undead" doesn't start at .5, it starts at .05. It needs to be weaker, because it's more powerful.

I don't see Adware's coming off the production line at 1.0 because File Shares are more powerful.

5) the "AP" doesn't run my CPU: It runs your CPU when you try to crack me. Hopefully, it uses enough to cause you problems.

AP = Attack Points. 'Nuff Said

6) "Pitbull" stops everyone from connecting from the server hit: No bouncing through it, and no starting a connection if it's your Gateway.

How is this any less of a god mode than the virus breaker? BALANCE comes with SUGGESTIONS. not just what you think is COOL.

7) The Autocompletion was a way to make "Killer"s dangerous if they were loaded on a NPS: otherwise, they would never complete.

Then they should never be implemented. And they won't.

8) Again, I'm randomly deleting your files when you try to crack my server. Sure I might get a piece of junk, but I might also get your Password Break.

I dont see this happening in RL, therefore it doesnt happen in HP.
Vintermark

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:55 AM »

Why do have to be so mean hatejacket?
Remember this is constructive critism.

When you begin to flame you make people feed bad. When people feel bad they tend to fight back, resulting an counter flame.
So if you where to work on you social skills, and begin to explain in a nice way why peoples ideas are faulty. And not just stomp on them and hope they will go away, it has no purpose than to make feel bad and probably make them less interested in developing HP the future.

So please keep your calm and behave like your acctually from the present time and not the stoneage.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: