The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 19, 2024, 12:41:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Newbie protection  (Read 13748 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »

A player is no longer protected when:
CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR
(not logged in for the last 7 days)

What one can DO on newbie:
- crack him / bounce / modify logs/ download / disinfect / capture / unhide / decrypt / set public / kill process  on the newbie

What one can NOT do on newbie:
- upload / delete / hide / encrypt / install

So you can still bully the newbies, but not that hard...  1

HJ®
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »

You should still be able to upload, just not virii files.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:50 AM »

CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR

What one can DO on newbie:
- crack him / bounce / modify logs/ download / disinfect / capture / unhide / decrypt / set public / kill process  on the newbie

What one can NOT do on newbie:
- upload / delete / hide / encrypt / install

So you can still bully the newbies, but not that hard...  1

I would just say to set a 1 week limit period on newbies.  That way the system can not be abused.

Otherwise what you just did is HIGHLY abusable

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »

I would just say to set a 1 week limit period on newbies.  That way the system can not be abused.

Otherwise what you just did is HIGHLY abusable

I wouldn't think a real-time limit on newbie protection would be fair to everyone.  Those who play infrequently would benefit less from the newbie protection than those who play 24/7. I like the restrictions, but why not a restriction on RAM/HDD? I'd suggest that instead of putting a cap on hardware, you set a cap on how much you can spend on hardware, i.e. after spending 4000HPD on upgrading your server, your newbie protection ends. It gives players a little more freedom in choosing what they want to spend their HPD on. 

Have a separate cap on research spending too, but have it be much smaller, around 500HPD or so.  You don't want a place for newbies to dump all their money in after they've spent 3900 HPD on hardware so they can keep newbie protection forever.  Oh, and a notifier somewhere visible to all players.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
setech

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »

This one sholud make for some interesting changes again.. No more huge inactive newbie farms now.. suppose this will emegre a new wave of virus breaker attacs on existing spam daemons.. And more PVP.. I'm qurious, how this will affect stuff.. but basically I'm for it.. could be fun.. and good for newbies 1

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:49:16 AM »

This one sholud make for some interesting changes again.. No more huge inactive newbie farms now.. suppose this will emegre a new wave of virus breaker attacs on existing spam daemons.. And more PVP.. I'm qurious, how this will affect stuff.. but basically I'm for it.. could be fun.. and good for newbies 1

Quote from: sir emi
CPU>1100
OR
Bandwidth>10
OR

I have a question about the last condition. If someone doesn't log in for 7 days, loses protection, then logs back on, and still meets all the other requirements, does the protection reactivate?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:12:50 AM by Moen Co. » Logged

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »

Heh I just tried to upload a virus to an apparently inactive player and got the message "this player is under newbie protection"

Awesome, at least I know it's working... now to wait...

On another note, the only process that has been running on his server is "delete file #79266 Basic Password Protect V 0.106 [localhost] -> task complete" which has been there since the first time I logged in...

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »

Can newbie servers be excluded from the IP buying list?  I just bought a new set of IPs to put virii on and now I'm wondering how many of them are going to still be under newbie protection...

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:08:13 AM »

there needs to be a software limiter as well, i found someone who was under newbie and had a 0.6 password protector..........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »

there needs to be a software limiter as well, i found someone who was under newbie and had a 0.6 password protector..........

There already is one, it's called your hardware. Bet you the newbie couldn't run it.

Scratch that, maybe he could, but he can't do anything else while it's up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:27:56 AM by Moen Co. » Logged

Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

someone broke into my server......... and i'm not bad kinda sloppy any more, especially not on private servers

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »

I have a question about the last condition. If someone doesn't log in for 7 days, loses protection, then logs back on, and still meets all the other requirements, does the protection reactivate?

Yes, it will re-activate. Of course if he got some virii installed while he was gone, he'll have to disinfect / format.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

Yes, it will re-activate. Of course if he got some virii installed while he was gone, he'll have to disinfect / format.

Sorry but it should not reactivate.  Otherwise here is what is going to happen.
2 people will get together and make a bunch of alt accounts (allowable by ToS).
They will wait 1 week for the protection to wear off then infect the alt accounts (hence 2 people working in tandem)
Then right after that they will just log in on those accounts once every 6 days.

Boom you just have players an unlimited number of adware farms that are now totally protected.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:44 PM »

They will wait 1 week for the protection to wear off then infect the alt accounts (hence 2 people working in tandem)
Then right after that they will just log in on those accounts once every 6 days.

Boom you just have players an unlimited number of adware farms that are now totally protected.

The are other protections in place against that, and I'm still monitoring everything to make sure no-one is abusing player farms.
It's very easy to see who has the highest player farms and check them out once in a while.

I'm sure we'll find a way to improve the protection and prevent that from happening, but for now a newbie protection was badly needed. The benefits are greater.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »

The are other protections in place against that, and I'm still monitoring everything to make sure no-one is abusing player farms.
It's very easy to see who has the highest player farms and check them out once in a while.

I'm sure we'll find a way to improve the protection and prevent that from happening, but for now a newbie protection was badly needed. The benefits are greater.

There are Zero Protections against that.  Would you like SGP to prove it to you?  I am sure we could have a hay day with it.  I mean heck 19 new servers a day even with only a .166 adware adds up when they are untouchable.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: