The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 29, 2024, 12:49:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: overload / disinfect balancing  (Read 4978 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »

- max overload of a software when cracking set to 25x
- disinfect action points cost: 50% of vir install AP costs

HJ®
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »

- max overload of a software when cracking set to 25x
- disinfect action points cost: 50% of vir install AP costs

So unless i'm wrong, that's a cap at +8.25 in version level?

If that's the case (I may very well be wrong), i'd rather see a cap at 15x.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:34:02 AM »

it's a cap of overload that equals Version + Version * 7.92

It depends on the software version you use to overload.

That's the lowest it will get for now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:37:21 AM by siremi » Logged

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »

This is a step in the right direction, but you do realize that means that a version .v47 password crack can overload the current highest highest protect version (3.742). What you're saying is essentially that you'd like people do do 8x as much research on defense as protection. Combine that with it costing AP to research and it's effectively impossible to defend yourself. That may have been your point though.

As a general rule, those with cpu/mem enough to OC more than 25x have the software that they don't have to, but as it stands I'll be able to crack passwords until the versions are ~25.

ADD:
On a related note, why can't we overload protections or other files? Since the cpu/mem cost increases much faster than it would if you researched it, it all balances out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:31:31 AM by Crlaozwyn » Logged
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »

ADD:
On a related note, why can't we overload protections or other files? Since the cpu/mem cost increases much faster than it would if you researched it, it all balances out.

Actually that might be ideal: Forget an Overload cap, and just let us overload our defenses.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:52:19 AM »

I am working on a little tool for this game and was wondering if you could tell me the increase per X for version, cpu, and ram

Also if I can figure out with OO how to get the spreadsheets to allow calculations via a web interface I would be willing to put it up or let you host it Sir Emi.

I already have the break down for all the software to base on Version for CPU, HDD, RAM, and BW usage as well as a reverse BW calculator that will tell you the version that is researchable to get you as close as possible to the target BW usage for Virii.

Something I have noticed though is that some of the calcs go several decimal places deep to give the final number.

Any chance of getting hard data from you via e-mail so I can make it as accurate as possible?

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Nelander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »

my experience with password break overload is that each x gives you a 1.33 bonus on program version and the cpu and mem will be the x factor so if you x2 the program it will requiere twice as much cpu and mem than it normally use, three times with x3, etc.

just wanted to clarify, the bonus is additive not multipicative

so new version = old version * (1 + (0.33 * (X-1)))
where X is the overload factor

here is a simple test to verify the data

overload    version   cpu     mem
x1            0.30400    608   38000
x2            0.40432   1216   76000
x3            0.50464   1824  114000   
x4            0.60496   2432  152000   
x5            0.70528   3040  190000   
x6            0.80560   3648  228000

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:10:56 AM by Nelander » Logged
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »

yeah, that should be the overload formula Nelander

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »

I am working on a little tool for this game and was wondering if you could tell me the increase per X for version, cpu, and ram

Also if I can figure out with OO how to get the spreadsheets to allow calculations via a web interface I would be willing to put it up or let you host it Sir Emi.

I already have the break down for all the software to base on Version for CPU, HDD, RAM, and BW usage as well as a reverse BW calculator that will tell you the version that is researchable to get you as close as possible to the target BW usage for Virii.

Something I have noticed though is that some of the calcs go several decimal places deep to give the final number.

Any chance of getting hard data from you via e-mail so I can make it as accurate as possible?

Regarding this, if you can code in C, you can code in Php and make your web-calcs that way. ;) Not REALLY all that hard.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: