The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 04:09:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PSU's  (Read 3785 times)
PlyPencil

156 colemansystems@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:11:26 AM »

All computers have PSU's, depending on the PSU depends on the amount of power the computer/server can use.

So why not implement it here? for each upgrade you get you use more power, the more power the bigger psu you need. An upgrade can be bought from the Hardware dealer, PSU Upgrade (100 watts) x1 = 500 HPD.

100 mhz of CPU uses 100 watts
4 GB Hard Drives use 100 watts
64MB of Memory use 100 watts
25KB's of Bandwidth use 100 watts

May need balancing but what do you think?

Humans make mistakes, that's why they put erasers on the end of pencils.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:21:07 AM »

Except that when intel released it's Core 2 Duo processors it was found they used so little power that the amount of heat generated was so low that for the first time since the 286 days you could run at 100% processor power on just a heatsink

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:59:20 AM »

also, I do not think that upgrading the processor should cost so much, 800hpd for just 100mhz?
and I have yet to see a single processor that was made after the '90's that uses that 100W for 100 mhz..

Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:32:54 AM »

While this in principle might add realism to the game (which it might) it would in fact simply slow things down for everyone (gosh have to spend more money upgrading servers...) without really increasing at least my enjoyment of the game...

However it could be that every month people would get an electricity bill based on their server strength :p now that might slow down the guys at the top if it was implemented in a non-linear fashion. (Which is how my bill works... the more I use the more I pay per unit!)

coffee1
PlyPencil

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:59 AM »

As I said the values would have to be tweaked

ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »

I'm going to have to agree with the dissenting opinion here: adding this would be an unnecessary slowdown to the game.

As things stand, it's not easy (though not difficult) to upgrade your server. Adding this would make things more difficult, and would not serve to slow down the Top Ten more than it would anyone else.

If anything is added that would slow down people, it needs to slow down people proportionally more based on their power. This isn't it.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »

The thing is is Balance.   If you have someone effect one group more than another then you create an inbalance such as with the AP system in it's current incarnation.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
PlyPencil

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »

Idea not attracting interest, I do not agree with the arguments however I can see the point of them. closed

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: