The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 19, 2024, 11:02:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Collect requests patch  (Read 15836 times)
HJ®
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 05:38:22 AM »

Like in the other topic, each collect all should count as ONE TOTAL collect, and if you individually collect it would count as well.

What's next, SCRIPT CHECKS? If Script Checks get implemented there is a good chance that I'll stop playing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:51:34 AM by Hatejacket » Logged
HJ®
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:34 AM »

This update also can potentially SEVERELY give an upside to disinfectors. If you can only collect once per day, you can't collect during ALL of that other time, and have your virii disinfected.

I call bogus on this. Just about every single update coming out hurts the infectors and helps the disinfectors.
neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »

This counts reset daily or is it permanent ?

Add
to MSN
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »

If permanent I can tell you right now over half of the players will quit and do not but give bad reviews.

I understand what Sir Emi is trying to accomplish.   This was just not thought out very well IMO.

Sir Emi,
   If I may make a suggestion regarding future updates/changes etc.   Bring them up for discussion before hand.  Let those who pay you, be it via gold, donations, or voting, give their opinions and/or alternatives.  You have brought forth several changes that were not thought through only to have them back fire on you via many upset players.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 07:36:19 AM »

Special note to virus man: (the bug you are talking about has been dealt with previous to making this thread. The one player that exploited it was fined 300.000 HPD)

- virus run time now shows 2 decimals
- marked virus is not taken into account as a collect request

- if you have 100 virii installed, you can collect like this:
  -> on 3 hours mark, collect all (time increases from 0.1 to every 0.2 hours, big deal)
  -> after another 3 hours collect all (time to next collection 0.3 hour (18 minutes))
  -> make collections every 3 hours you max time to collect will be 0.8 hours (every 48 minutes before it resets to 0.1 at 00:00 server time)
  -> so for 100 HPD making virii, collect every 3 hours and you don't even notice the change, it does not affect you at all. Heck you can even collect every 2 hours with no effect on the productivity of the viruses when having 100.

With 1500 virii installed, you collect about 3 times a day no problem.

BUT if you have 3000 virii, well then that's another story. Then you should only collect once a day, so the server can handle your request. Otherwise, we also have the option to collect only what you see on the page, that is 20 virii at a time.

P.S.: I don't know what the fuss was about malware or other non-HPD making virii, this patch does not affect the other virii types.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 07:47:39 AM »

Special note to virus man: (the bug you are talking about has been dealt with previous to making this thread. The one player that exploited it was fined 300.000 HPD)

- virus run time now shows 2 decimals
- marked virus is not taken into account as a collect request

- if you have 100 virii installed, you can collect like this:
  -> on 3 hours mark, collect all (time increases from 0.1 to every 0.2 hours, big deal)
  -> after another 3 hours collect all (time to next collection 0.3 hour (18 minutes))
  -> make collections every 3 hours you max time to collect will be 0.8 hours (every 48 minutes before it resets to 0.1 at 00:00 server time)
  -> so for 100 HPD making virii, collect every 3 hours and you don't even notice the change, it does not affect you at all. Heck you can even collect every 2 hours with no effect on the productivity of the viruses when having 100.

With 1500 virii installed, you collect about 3 times a day no problem.

BUT if you have 3000 virii, well then that's another story. Then you should only collect once a day, so the server can handle your request. Otherwise, we also have the option to collect only what you see on the page, that is 20 virii at a time.

P.S.: I don't know what the fuss was about malware or other non-HPD making virii, this patch does not affect the other virii types.

Ok glad the bug is fixed.  Now with regards to this.  You just gave Disinfect/VB users total dominion over Virii.  Before the safe guard over minimal loss was constant collecting.  Now that safe guard has been removed.   That is a major problem that has just caused an inbalance.

With regard to collecting.  If you collect from a Virus that has not generated any revenue does it still count as a collection?

With regards to the counter.  Why are you penalizing those with MORE virii than those with LESS virii?  That is not a balance.

With regards to actual collection amount.
SGP Cash Cow V 0.4 running on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for the last 1.05 hours... collected 252.20 HPD
That is .20 HPD more than it should be by the info provided.   1.05 hours on a .4 File Share = 252.00 HPD.  Not as it indicates.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 07:55:29 AM »

Like in the other topic, each collect all should count as ONE TOTAL collect, and if you individually collect it would count as well.

What's next, SCRIPT CHECKS? If Script Checks get implemented there is a good chance that I'll stop playing.

Is this an admission of guilt? If your not using a script,there wouldnt be any point saying it,though.

"The one player that exploited it was fined 300.000 HPD"-Thats a lotta cash,a lot more than Ive ever seen. I wonder who coulda made that much to get fined that heavily,because SGP doesnt condone the use of BOTS or automated programs.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »

With regard to collecting.  If you collect from a Virus that has not generated any revenue does it still count as a collection?

Yes, you have to maximize your collection efficiency by looking at the timers. Collecting before the minimum timer is an indication of possible script use, and resets the timer. This may change in the future.

With regards to the counter.  Why are you penalizing those with MORE virii than those with LESS virii?  That is not a balance.

We all share the game servers. The servers handle requests and the more virii you have the more requests it has to handle. To avoid spamming the server with collect requests, you are kindly instructed to collect less often the more virii you have.

With regards to actual collection amount.
SGP Cash Cow V 0.4 running on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for the last 1.05 hours... collected 252.20 HPD
That is .20 HPD more than it should be by the info provided.   1.05 hours on a .4 File Share = 252.00 HPD.  Not as it indicates.

Part of fixing the above mentioned bug was taking the rounding out of the equation. Hence, you see a rounded number but the real value has about 14 decimals and may show lower or higher depending on the real timer. What you see is a rounded value.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

Yes, you have to maximize your collection efficiency by looking at the timers. Collecting before the minimum timer is an indication of possible script use, and resets the timer. This may change in the future.
You realize that with the limit shown per page being 20 you are asking us to now click each individual Virii instead of using Collect All right?  By this statement you just nerfed the Collect All feature.  If you intend to keep this for ANY period of time then please allow ALL virii to be shown on one page.  Otherwise this is NOT an indication of possible script use.  This is a Feature that was added in a MONTH ago at least now.

We all share the game servers. The servers handle requests and the more virii you have the more requests it has to handle. To avoid spamming the server with collect requests, you are kindly instructed to collect less often the more virii you have.
Who is we?  I don't know how the DB is setup for this game.  But if it is stream lined then all 4K+ users all checking at the same time should not cause any real performance hit.  I understand though that with this game being so new there is still a lot of polishing to be done on the back end.  But by FORCING us to collect less often you have tipped the scales of Balance in favour of VB and AV.

Part of fixing the above mentioned bug was taking the rounding out of the equation. Hence, you see a rounded number but the real value has about 14 decimals and may show lower or higher depending on the real timer. What you see is a rounded value.
Ok that is cool then.  I just didn't want there to be new bugs entering up.  I had noticed the descripancy in other areas with regards to the decimal places and what not.  From what I have seen, at least with software sizes, is that you Round Up on everything.  Is that correct?

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »

No offense intended, but those who have paid/are paying for this game didn't do so to be told that we should "collect less" (read as "play less"). I realize that bandwidth isn't free, but then again some of as are paying for it. Yeah, if someone is collecting a dozen times an hour, I see how that could create some excess server load - but penalizing people based on how many virii they have is absurd. I don't collect nearly as often as some people - probably only every 3 hours or so, often more. Still, on principle it's bizarre to ask people (esp paying people) to change the way they play because of bandwidth. Can you imagine if WoW or Eve asked people to only play for 2 hours a day so their servers didn't get loaded, and penalized people who played more? How many people do you think would keep paying for that game, honestly?
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »

I remember  you mentioned in a post a week or two ago that the server load caused by all players wasn't even a moderate load to your current server, so why is it a problem now? I understand that if the player base grows server load will be more of a problem, but at the game's current size I wouldn't think server load is a problem.

I do not own enough virii at this point where this update makes a difference, but I do understand how this limits the bigger players. Perhaps this needs to be implemented later on, but not right now.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
HJ®
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »

I remember  you mentioned in a post a week or two ago that the server load caused by all players wasn't even a moderate load to your current server, so why is it a problem now? I understand that if the player base grows server load will be more of a problem, but at the game's current size I wouldn't think server load is a problem.

I do not own enough virii at this point where this update makes a difference, but I do understand how this limits the bigger players. Perhaps this needs to be implemented later on, but not right now.

This.

In fact, you even said

"The game doesn't use that much bandwidth even with all the page reloads it barely touches the available bandwidth.

I'm also monitoring to see how much it can take as it was designed to handle a lot, but I'm sure it will be improved in the future, we're just starting out here"

HJ®
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

Is this an admission of guilt? If your not using a script,there wouldnt be any point saying it,though.

"The one player that exploited it was fined 300.000 HPD"-Thats a lotta cash,a lot more than Ive ever seen. I wonder who coulda made that much to get fined that heavily,because SGP doesnt condone the use of BOTS or automated programs.

Uh, no, because Script Checks are retarded. I don't play a game to sit here and type in a bunch of numbers every few minutes just so I can play.

MS, You remind me of Script Checks. I'm going to have fun on your server.
Master Shake

Icarus Code Grinder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »

"MS, You remind me of Script Checks. I'm going to have fun on your server."

I hope you have fun on my server! I went through a lot of trouble decorating and I just installed a bumper pool table. Dont forget your swim trunks! 14 foot deep heated outdoor ready for use! Tommorrow might be a squeeze,having dinner with the in-laws. Why dont we shoot for Saturday? Making Johnsonville brats on the grill,and Im picking up a case of Pointe. But stop by anytime,really.

Honestly,your threats are empty. Apparently it isnt the only thing.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »

I would also have to agree with sgp on this. this patch sir emi does nothing but hurt the player base more so than the scripters. now if a person has over 50 virus' they can only collect once a day. So why not make it where a person can only collect x amount of times a day. this would stop the scripting, it would be based off of how many virus' you have and would not hurt the player base as badly. as it stand i dont use virus' as much as others in my group and i can only collect around 4 times a day.

"You have made 278 collect requests today. You can collect profits every 0.28 hours. For each 100 requests your collect time increases by 0.1 hours."

This doesn't really bother me since I don't generally collect that often, and this was after like 3 collects for the day, but I can see that people who like to collect their virii all the time when they are online or people who have a ton of virii this could get pretty annoying...

I don't think it is really game-breaking though... although I don't like to hear that my marked virii are being counted here...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: