The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 20, 2024, 12:08:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Down with the mega-corporations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: User Defined Missions  (Read 7388 times)
jem6502

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »

Would be great if you could post missions on your own servers for others to obtain and execute.
ZacQuicksilver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:26:07 PM »

This would be a great idea, using the following safeguards:

1) You pay for the mission
2) You have to identify the server or server owner
3) There is some way to make sure you pay up when it's done.

I hack games, not computers, in my life.

I'm NOT SGP, no matter how much I support them on the forums.

Pardus.at. Let me know if you play.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »

The best way to ensure you pay up is to pay up front - if the mission is not completed you may cancel it after a given time (say a week) and recover the money.

Otherwise the idea is not bad... except that the IP changes make it very difficult for such things to happen in practice. (Unless you had missions such as virus disinfect on your own servers or tracking incursions on your own servers etc)

coffee1
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:29:58 AM »

You could buy a server without upgrading it. Then you have a server you dont care about. You can post your IP over logs everywhere and even post it on the forums.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
J.GreenThumb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »

1) You don't have to pay up front. We could have "escrow" so that you set the price of the mission, the details, and IP then you accept and it deducts x amount of HPD (Posting Price and Mission Reward) and the mission reward goes into an account to be received by the mission completer.

2) Should there be timers? Say you need something done by 9 o'clock tonight. Post it with an urgent tag and some more money for the timeline. The max time should be a week IMO.

3) Would people exploit this and use this to transfer funds? To stop this there should be a max for each type and the version of file. Say for a delete file <.2 should not exceed 100 HPD, and it increases in increments of 100 per .1 For a disinfect, Adware =<.166 should be max 150 and >.166 should be max 250. Spyware should be less since the files are not that big and Fileshares <.2 should be max 600 and go up in increments of 200 per .1

Ebolla>   Ebolla: No problem. Replied
   <JGreenThumb>   Ebolla: You Ebolla:'ed :P
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:14:34 AM »

I got another idea with how to post the missions. You can ask the True Light to post it on their bulletins. And to make any sense out of it you can post it on which True Light server you want IF you allready knows its IP. This prevents overloading the servers and allows you to almost chose which kind of a hacker you want to do your filthy missions.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

also ; you should pay a 50% tax per mission

example : a 100 HPD payment mission would cost 150 HPD to be posted

Add
to MSN
HJ®
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:18:23 PM »

Or with the idea of faction wars coming about, you can set missions up but they can only be taken by your own faction.
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »

Eh, I'd suggest NOT the way it's proposed... better would be just doing so that an additional button with the 6 would be posting it... possibly allowing with whom (which of the 4 companies) you want to post with. If there are factions automatically set, that wouldn't need to be an option. After posting it, the same amount for NPC missions should be deducted from your HPD (the posting fails if you don't have that amount) and goes into the system. When finished, the completer gets the credits. The IP in the mission posting stays current regardless of IP changes, and at most one job can be completed on a specific server (IP change doesn't allow another) per game day. Nothing to keep it from being a big job, but it can be.

Also, in the 'Running Processes' page, you can tag a process to be killed... whether virus (which triggers a disinfect mission) or something else (kill process mission)... Same rules as before.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

The IP in the mission posting stays current regardless of IP changes, and at most one job can be completed on a specific server (IP change doesn't allow another) per game day.

*cough* well that's a proposed IP change nerf if I ever saw one  13

coffee1
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

The IP in the mission posting stays current regardless of IP changes, and at most one job can be completed on a specific server (IP change doesn't allow another) per game day.

*cough* well that's a proposed IP change nerf if I ever saw one  13
Yes and no?

Remember, these missions would only be requested by the owner of the server, not by other hackers... As such, it would generally be them trying to get rid of virii they can't clean themselves, and/or getting rid of other such bits... Having someone decrypt a file so it can be deleter, those sorts of things.

As such, it means that if they DO try to hide, they'll fail... as anyone can check on the mission status... BUT, it also means that THEY had to choose to become visible like this first, AND nobody could have completed the mission. If the mission is completed, or they choose not to post the mission in the first place, then they can be hidden...
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 01:37:05 AM »

Yes and no?

Remember, these missions would only be requested by the owner of the server, not by other hackers... As such, it would generally be them trying to get rid of virii they can't clean themselves, and/or getting rid of other such bits... Having someone decrypt a file so it can be deleter, those sorts of things.

As such, it means that if they DO try to hide, they'll fail... as anyone can check on the mission status... BUT, it also means that THEY had to choose to become visible like this first, AND nobody could have completed the mission. If the mission is completed, or they choose not to post the mission in the first place, then they can be hidden...

Look at it this way -

Skilled player infects unskilled player who has a server with fair amount of resources.

Skilled player would currently not be detected by the unskilled player (ok you can play around with the definition of skill but anyhow)

Now instead of having made an anonymous attack all of a sudden the attacking player, regardless of skill software whatever, gets flashed up by a mission which also keeps his IP visible for all to see... And that irrespective of IP changes.

Remember - there are two times when you *want* to change  your IP - either defending (you just got hacked) or when you want to remain anonymous during an offensive. This completely nerfs the second (arguably the most powerful aka god mode) use of IP change. You can attack but you have a very serious risk of loosing your anonymity irrespective of anything you do.

Also I think you underestimate how people would react to this change. I think that more than one player would forgo any rewards of a possible mission completion in order to have a permanent tag on a server irrespective of IP changes - I know that in some instances I would kill processes trying to complete such a mission just to keep a permanent tag on some IP hoppers!

coffee1
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »

Remember though that the mission only remains while the bits remain... if they format their server, any missions regarding their server will be free credits to the first newbie that clicks complete. ;) And one of them WILL take the credits. And the server will disappear again.
neo alpha

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

Remember though that the mission only remains while the bits remain... if they format their server, any missions regarding their server will be free credits to the first newbie that clicks complete. ;) And one of them WILL take the credits. And the server will disappear again.

So; should there be a file " missions.dat " that if you delete ; all missions can be completed  laugh

Add
to MSN
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: