The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 04:44:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: No inactivity on local processes  (Read 5330 times)
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

It makes sense (at least to me) for local processes (deletes on your own gateway, password/ip changes, research, and reformats) to not drop due to inactivity. I can elaborate on this if anyone would like me to, but it seems self-explanatory. What do you think, Sir Emi?
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:40:07 PM »

I didn't know thats was happening. But deffently does make sence not to be dropped.

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »

That would be a big one for research, finish a ton of research and have to wait for AP/HPD to finish them and they start to time out... that would suck...

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:59:38 AM »

More thoughts/ideas? I'm looking forward to Sir Emi's ofc.
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »

I like the idea, except for IP change/password change, although I don't think anyone would let a queued IP/password change time out unless they went on vacation or something.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »

Exactly - it just stops players from having to play against the mechanics. Those who IP hop and change pass regularly always have one cued up anyways. If this is the sticking point, then don't include those. With or without those, I think it makes the game more realistic and a bit less irritating 1
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »

That would be a big one for research, finish a ton of research and have to wait for AP/HPD to finish them and they start to time out... that would suck...

Tell me about it ;(  Lost over 180 levels on my Firewall because of that stupid gateway bug on it.

I like the idea, except for IP change/password change, although I don't think anyone would let a queued IP/password change time out unless they went on vacation or something.

This is why the inactivity was started.  Because of people leaving up IP change and/or Password change to use up CPU/RAM and prevent virii etc from infecting their systems.

As for it timing out.  I do all the time ;)  But that is because I tend to keep both up all the time on my main server.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Moen Co.

F5!

ragewithmycheese
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

This is why the inactivity was started.  Because of people leaving up IP change and/or Password change to use up CPU/RAM and prevent virii etc from infecting their systems.

As for it timing out.  I do all the time ;)  But that is because I tend to keep both up all the time on my main server.

That seems like less of an issue now that the average player's hardware is much higher than the resources taken up by either.

Retired. Best Finish: #4 (Should've been #3)
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »

Yep, there aren't many reasons to have local processes time out, other than irritating us 1
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »

An inactive account with one or more running processes should slow the servers down. Unfortunatly it also concerns the local processes as well.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »

Why would inactive accounts affect the servers? Since they're inactive, no one will be asking the server for the info.
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

And if this is actually an issue, how about making it so that if the account isn't logged into for 7 days, THEN inactive local processes time out. Takes all of a single extra line in the code, since it's already checking time not-logged for newbie protections...
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:36 AM »

That is a good idea. I agree on this suggestion.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: