The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 12:07:28 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Multi Research  (Read 11772 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

I dont know if you caan right now but if you run several reseach of the same program are you reseaching several times faster?

Once I get reply I'l continue.

Krieger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »

I dont know if you caan right now but if you run several reseach of the same program are you reseaching several times faster?

Once I get reply I'l continue.
You can do it.

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »

So it does research several times fast.

Wouldn't it be easier if there was a why on the research menu that would let reseach 2x, 3x, 4x, faster for 2x, 3x, 4x the CPU, Ram, and bandwidth(if it is requiord) and HPD. That way people dont need t ask question like wat I did. Makes it easier for all and if wat Krieger is telling the truth then its not adding a new feature just making it easier.

Magna Carta

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »

Simple answer: 30 AP's. Parallel researching adds up.

'I see no problems between us that could not be solved by your departure.' (Mark Twain)
DamascuS

準備戰爭

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »

Yup, i personally used around 2000 APs in under an hour with parallel researching.

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »

Yeah... your suggestion would take out the only limiting factor currently existing keeping me from researching everything to v100 in an hour. Well, besides the 1,332,000 HPD needed for each. But seriously, if I could just overdrive my research and get it for 30 AP for a 2000 power research... that would be pretty. -_-
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »

Parallel and what I'm suggesting is the same thing but in one run utillity. Cost the same AP.

eg.

Parallel
       Details                                                    CUP         ram         BW                            Cost of AP      Cost of HPD
research 'PasswordProtect v0.2' 1h                  200         10000         0                                  30                  80/100
research 'PasswordProtect v0.2' 1h                  200         10000         0                                  30                  80/100

total...                                                          1000        50000         0                                  150                 400/500

In the end:  PasswordProtect v0.23
Time: 1h

Multi

Details                                                     CPU           RAM         BW                           Cost of AP         Cost or HPD
research 5x 'PasswordProtect v0.2' 1h            1000          50000         0                                150                  400/500

In the end:  PasswordProtect v0.23
Time: 1h

All it does is make less cludder or the Running Software and make noobies undrestand how to it right away.
See not doing anything bad or unfare just helping a bit for the some people. Unless you dont want to others to get help.

Sirrobert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

80/100

read confused2 21

helpsmilie
Magna Carta

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »

80/100

read confused2 21

helpsmilie

Normal research costs 100 HPD/hour; gold takes out 20%, so it *only*  14 costs 80 HPD/hour.

'I see no problems between us that could not be solved by your departure.' (Mark Twain)
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

Really, do you want to make something that screws with Sir Emi's AP calculations? Right now, it's 30 AP regardless of time... for the incredibly rich/bored, you can research up 100 points in an hour as 100 jobs for 3000 AP, or 100 points in 100 hours as one job for 30 AP. Why screw with what works? If you can't be bothered to remember how many times you hit refresh, you probably don't really need it. -_-
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:33 AM »

Like said before, it doesnt change anythig but how easy it gets to do this. There is NO cons about it. If there is then it is there because of the way it is now.

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »

the only con is that it would take siremi about 10 minutes to do this if he is doing it when after 10 strait nights of no sleep and does not want to randomly make a bunch of bugs...

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:11:14 AM »

But then we can look at the other possible scenario;
Emi had a good nights sleep, take some coffee before the usual log in on the comp. There he sees this suggestion and decides that it wont take so long time and (my ladies and gentlemen, this does not happen to often:) He updates in the favour of everyone posting in this thread. (Exept for Theraze.)

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »

No... How many of you guys are actually coders? With over 5 years working on games and how that part actually gets done and affects things, in a variety of coding languages? 16

What this would do is make him have to completely change the part where AP cost is triggered, as well as likely throwing in another value to keep track of how many instances are being run per process. All he has to do right now to calculate AP cost is check on what type of job is being finished. With the multiplier, that doesn't happen, as he is having it actually use more than just the hours to calculate how many points of research have been added...

The point is, it's a relatively major coding change that would need to be poked in lots of areas, not just the one. -_- And would almost certainly have highly exploitable bugs for weeks, and that's only if it's babysat... the bugs could last for months/years otherwise.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

Agreed, this is not a "simple" coding issue - this would be a significant overhaul in the way many aspects of the game work.

I've never "seriously" coded a game (yes, I've coded but I am not a good coder 16) However I have worked as head of game QC for a few years and this is the kind of change to which I would assign 20-30 hours of QC testing time simply to detect the bugs, nevermind actually get around to fixing them.

Basically whenever you touch a game engine/routine/code you have to verify not only the process which you wanted to (in this case the multiple instance research) in every conceivable way (you'd be amazed) but also every other process which uses the same engine/routine/code. It really adds up. Very quickly.

If someone had proposed a change like this to me back then this would have been my evaluation:

1) Does this add anything new to the game? No - you can already do what is proposed.
2) Does enhance the gaming experience - Marginally - yes there is an improvement of the game interface but there are far more important improvements to be made
3) It would be a high risk measure resulting in significant resources dedicated both from coders and testers to little benefit for the players - I would therefore not recommend doing this in the presence of other higher priority projects (and heaven knows there are a lot of those)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:40:09 AM by Witcher » Logged

coffee1
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: