The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 26, 2024, 12:03:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being legal doesn't make it right."
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Multi Research  (Read 11866 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

Well when the game first started you could log on to a public server and kill any process you wanted. Then I posted a topic about stoping it from the where it starts. I swear 2 mins after Sir Emi replied. It was done. Ive have done some basic programing before and it dosnt take long. Plus Sir Emi does it as a job so I would think hes pro at it.

gs 059

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »

No... How many of you guys are actually coders? With over 5 years working on games and how that part actually gets done and affects things, in a variety of coding languages? 16

What this would do is make him have to completely change the part where AP cost is triggered, as well as likely throwing in another value to keep track of how many instances are being run per process. All he has to do right now to calculate AP cost is check on what type of job is being finished. With the multiplier, that doesn't happen, as he is having it actually use more than just the hours to calculate how many points of research have been added...

The point is, it's a relatively major coding change that would need to be poked in lots of areas, not just the one. -_- And would almost certainly have highly exploitable bugs for weeks, and that's only if it's babysat... the bugs could last for months/years otherwise.

I actually do code, and when I think of how hard it would be to do this, it is mostly a little bit of making new drop downs and some copy/pasting of code...

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »

I agree with Witcher in this... as he says, it's not adding anything 'new' to the game, and while it has some slight benefit for the lazy, the risk isn't worth the additional time needed to verify it's not going to break other things.
* Theraze shivers.
And please don't pretend that being a copy/paste coder counts as being aware of the consequences of completely changing the way the AP system works. ;)

Nagitof, it's not a matter of questioning whether or not it's POSSIBLE for Sir Emi to do it. Of course he COULD do it if he wanted to. The question is whether or not it's worth his time, what with all of the other issues waiting to be done, that actually DO add functionality or fix problems. This is the equivalent of having a scientist research how to make a pogo pole for vaulting with. :D It might be sort of cool when done, but it's not really worth his time. :D
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 09:33:55 AM »

Lately weve noticed a lack of updates and other contacts with him. Thats because he worked on Dooms Day. If he is working a another project like D Day I would be most happy if he decided to do this instead and give us some more time before the game becomes too boring.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

Im pretty sure this game is ran of a rented server that Sir Emi rented for all his games he made. So really to Sir Emi this is a past time. So its when he has the time to work on it, if there were more gold accounts then Sir Emi might try working on the bugs. Like I said it would take him only 30 mins to read the ideas he likes and try to make it better then add it to the updates. So if live maybe 1-2 months (its is a long time) Im sure there would be a lot more Gold members, causing  Sir Emi to do weekly update.

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »

AD, you realize that what you just said is basically this...

I really hate the way that Sir Emi actually has a plan for how he wants the story to unfold and would rather he code anything, even updates that duplicate things that are already possible, rather than actually working on the story as he envisions it.

Somehow, I don't think that is really hugely likely to be his choice. ;) Ultimately, the game is owned by the owner and/or coder. Whatever they see as the important changes WILL happen, and either the pbase stays or leaves. But in most cases, any actual good coder won't let most comments sway their vision... else you end up with a horrible hodgepodge. The issue comes when the changes actually cause more problems than they fix... then the coder is working at cross purposes. 1
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »

AD, you realize that what you just said is basically this...

I really hate the way that Sir Emi actually has a plan for how he wants the story to unfold and would rather he code anything, even updates that duplicate things that are already possible, rather than actually working on the story as he envisions it.
[/quote]
Not really. I have nothing against the storyline (I dont think many people have). But when hes adding AP and resets this all gets pretty boring. And a good game isnt boring, its entertaining. And all the small updates helps since its often them that are making the game. If you still have the same base parallell to this one and starts to give it other updates it would pretty soon be another game with not much in commo with this.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »

Can we plz get back to the multi researching.

Theraze

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »

The point that I was making is that multi-researching is already in the game. To change it to work the way you want to though would take some severe changes to lots of little backend things and likely cause multiple exploits, not all of which would immediately be reported. At some point in 9 months or so, someone would offhand mention it in a post, and Sir Emi would then go nuts with the "WHA? That's not supposed to be that way!" thing that all coders do when someone mentions a bug as if it's supposed to be that way, and either multi-research will be completely removed or he'll end up getting very frustrated wandering through and figuring out what else can get exploited. At that point, the players will get annoyed because it will be different and more locked down, and this change, created to make YOUR life easier and not have to click the refresh button (Hint: F5 works too) will have been removed and caused further issues between Sir Emi and the loyal players just wanting to enjoy the game. 1
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »

I want to bring this back up to the forefront.

Reasons why this should be looked at.
1> Server load.  right now I have over 1200 processes running on 1 server and that takes about 3 minutes to load up.
2> Cleaner look for the processes running page
3> Keeps all researches ending in a certain time grouped as 1 entry
4> It would fix the "Select all" + "Complete all selected" bug that I have found.  Basically those options don't work if you have to many processes running.

Now as for the AP nerf affecting this option I would say to allow it to reduce a "group" of researches by a set amount each time you click "Task Completed".  Either a Text box entry that is auto filled with the max you can do with your current AP or give a series of numbers you can click going up in groups of 2 until you reach 48, which is the max you can complete in a 24 hour period.

What are your thoughts Sir Emi?

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 11:22:49 PM »

I want to bring this back up to the forefront.

Reasons why this should be looked at.
1> Server load.  right now I have over 1200 processes running on 1 server and that takes about 3 minutes to load up.
2> Cleaner look for the processes running page
3> Keeps all researches ending in a certain time grouped as 1 entry
4> It would fix the "Select all" + "Complete all selected" bug that I have found.  Basically those options don't work if you have to many processes running.

I will certainly look into this virus man, having 1200 processes on the page would be a high strain. I knew the process list would do that, just need to find a way to sort them out and maybe filter / limit how many it can show on one page...

Your point 4 is not a bug, it's actually some sort of limit on the number of processes to complete at one time, aimed to reduce load a bit too.

I'll look into it and see what I can do.

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »

So there has been an update that supported this (which I am grateful) but the point of it was so that there would be less running programs lines. It would all be in one line.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »

So there has been an update that supported this (which I am grateful) but the point of it was so that there would be less running programs lines. It would all be in one line.

He said that would be in a future update if you read the complete thread.   The back end is now in place for it so it won't take long but is further down on the queue of things to do than this initial update was.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »

Sweet, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: