The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 30, 2024, 11:02:15 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Being illegal doesn't make it wrong."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crashing a Server  (Read 2943 times)
Nagitof

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »

I was playing Uplink and I finally got to the missions were you need to destroy a server. To do so you need to delete the OS.

I think there should be missions like this in the game too. I think that only the Secret servers should have a OS file, it will take up no space at all. It cannot be downloaded, encrypted, hiden, put in to public. The only thing it should be able to is be deleted. There should be a program that allows you to delete it. It takes like 24 hours to do so. Once it is dleted all connections will be disconnected, and the server will be down for a period of time. the time down will be like how long it takes to repair/recover it. The higher the program used to delete the OS, the longer the server will be down for. This is only for extra missions that pay well, it shouldnt effect private or public servers.

It would be interesting, the game will be a little more realistic, more missions to complete, and will help make players have PvP a little more.

Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:21:22 AM »

So all your virii would be there, since you don't wipe the hard drive, you just wouldn't be making any money until it comes back up and connection re-establish, right?

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

This could work pretty well with the OS suggestion from:
http://www.hacker-project.com/forum/index.php?topic=927.0
You let the different corps have their own OS (TLOS/HOS/OOS/IOS) which doesnt do anything special butallowing deletion which the private version of TLOS (what players have) does.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

So all your virii would be there, since you don't wipe the hard drive, you just wouldn't be making any money until it comes back up and connection re-establish, right?
All viriis would be on a pause or if SirEmi decides differently.

siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »

Yes, server shutdown / crash is one of the new mission ideas we had on the project.
Main priority is now to add some more mission types.

We only have to work out the details so suggest away 1

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: