The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 07:22:02 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: newbies  (Read 4631 times)
HannieWK

View Profile Email
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »

Being a newbie, i would like to suggest something.

I got very aggrivated not knowing exactly what to do in the beginning.
The "mentor"tells you all, but not being English speaking (i am Dutch) its not all too clear what she means by it all.
So i got frustrated, i kept loosing missions etc.

Perhaps it might be an idea if there would be missions generated that are only for newbies, wich the newbies could do (there would be no end to the mission really, it could be done by each newbie, and the newbie could only do it once). That way a newb could learn truely and fair.
The newb wouldn't get any exp or HPd for completing the training missions. He/She could start a real mission when ready. At least the newb would be able to get used to the terminology and the way to go from one part of a mission to the next.

I understand, its all about reading carefully and following instructions, but let me tell you, not being born English speaking makes it a bit harder to follow it thru.

Don't go tell me not to play this game then, pls. Its too much fun :D

Hannie

Life is Life
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »

I am also dutch so if you need any info, you can contact me ingame.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »

Look for the beginner's tutorial written by Ebolla on the SGP forums located HERE at this clicky

You should be able to run it through a translator on the confusing parts without much trouble.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »

But this could be a good idea to discuss further; tutorial missions for people under 7 days and/or a specific score or something else which defines a newbie. Of course if its dependent on score you wont be able to do newbie missions again if you reentered the limit (Im thinking of malware here).

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Witcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »

Not really a "newbie" mission being requested here but rather a tutorial mission to walk you through your first mission.

Only one comment - should be entirely optional if implemented.

coffee1
Exousia
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 01:01:52 AM »

Perhaps a "dummy" server with a specific IP address. Have the mentor tell you to hack it and walk you through some of the basics including delete missions, data liberation, downloading, and log altering. Go through each step of this walk-through and you get HPD rewards for completion and learn the ropes without risk at the same time. Once you finish the walk-through and "graduate" you cannot access that IP address again. Probably could be worth a good 1k HPD but not too much. Just enough to get started and really learn what you're doing.
HannieWK

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:14:29 AM »

Like Exousia said :D

Just what i ment to say

The newbie-mission/guide would not give real credits, but when you think you are ready for the real stuff you could then enter the game for real, starting from scratch and at least you would know what to do, where to do it and what benefits it would give.

Thanks all for replying

Life is Life
Raistlin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »

I dunno; if it isn't for real credits then people tend to get fed up with it. On the other hand, it seems unfair to give recent joiners an edge, so perhaps have it be worth real credits, but a truly insignificant amount? Say, 150 total? Enough for one low-tier upgrade, because that way, they have some investment in the game and are less likely to quit right away?
Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 02:04:33 PM »

I agree. Most people wouldnt take it if it wasnt for real HPD and 150 isnt much at all. Either 1 CPU/RAM upgrade or half of a HDD/BW upgrade. None of them is high at all.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: