The Hacker Project - a free online game

March 28, 2024, 07:50:59 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Don't be evil."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: SoTL shows their true colors  (Read 62491 times)
Exousia
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

SoTL  14
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »

15,000 years?
Exousia
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »

15,000 years?

Yeah, I thought, at first, that it was a reference to the battle between the Jedi and the Sith, but I'm not enough of a Star Wars fan to know enough about the story line to know for sure. I'm not really any kind of fan of Star Wars, but I had enough cousins and friends foaming at the mouth over it's "epic" tale to have a decent idea of the basic story.
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »

eh, regardless of any jokes.
I hope the revelation doesn't come.  14
Thek3mp
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »

not yet, i want it to come some time, this game wont be much fun infinitely, but its better in 6 month-yearly periods. im not pro rev as such just yet.
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2008, 06:48:26 PM »

Next round I think I'll work on 'cutting down the vines'
I'll claw my way to the top!
 laugh
or maybe not, I have sucky tactics. I would probably screw myself over when people would figure out I was the one who put spyware on every public server.  laugh laugh
(next round.)
Exousia
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

I don't feel that rounds of this game should be that short, especially with the recent research update. I also stick to the assertion that we need one server which is persistent and at one which is not. (More than one of each would be nice too.) Especially in the persistent version, there should be an option to delete an account as I can see veterans in that game wanting to wipe the slate clean and start over just for fun. This wouldn't be a bad idea in a persistent game and, in a persistent game, there should be a feature which automatically deletes inactive accounts after a time. I think that there already is such a feature, but I'm not entirely certain how long the delay is or other details. A round-based game should have faster/easier research and last about eight to twelve months.

As I feel that people have different styles of play and different requirements of games, a round-based version should also be geared more toward a competitive PvP style of play while a persistent one should be geared toward a slower, more gradual development with advantages going toward defensive or solo play with way more and much better defended NPC servers.

I tend to enjoy defensive/solo play but that's just me. I'm not a competitive person.

Nonetheless, there are many features of this game which set it apart and make it stand out, even if several aspects are nerfed such as the ability to engage in PvP. It is, overall, well thought out, but it seems that there is some uncertainty as to the game's direction and those who want to engage in PvP or competitive play aren't getting what they want. I enjoy analyzing it, though, and will continue to play even if it resets, but I prefer not to lose what I've already gained.
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »

That'd lead to problems as people's virii on inactive servers become invincible or disabled.
Exousia
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »

That'd lead to problems as people's virii on inactive servers become invincible or disabled.

That can be fixed. I know the concept isn't perfect, but there must exist a table pointing to all of those virii which can then be either cut loose and thereby made available for VB. And when virii are "lost" when an inactive account's servers are closed, they be treated as an IP change, which already checks for such errors (I should hope) and then deleted instead. Granted, it's not perfect.

Another idea is that (those who play Astro Empires will recognize this) an inactive account's servers could be handed over to a dummy NPC and allowed to fester idly or be gradually phased out. Deleted accounts could do the same thing.

In either case, a forced IP change could proceed any action including deletion to clear up any installed virii.
Seb

I never sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »

I still think inactive servers are important for newbies, most of my long-term (old) adware exist on inactive servers.
Exousia
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »

I still think inactive servers are important for newbies, most of my long-term (old) adware exist on inactive servers.

So do mine, but in an persistent game, there would have to be a hardware limit, otherwise we'd be cluttered at some point. The gradual fade (or NPC takeover) idea borrowed from Astro Empires, which is a persistent game, could theoretically solve the issue of lost or invincible virii.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to: