The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 16, 2024, 04:39:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Hackers come and go, but a great hack is forever."
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Password protect/break balancing  (Read 6886 times)
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:37 AM »

Currently there's no point in researching password protect above version 1.2, as cracking time is capped at one hour and people can just overclock their breakers to get in anyways. My suggestion doesn't add any new features, only balances old ones:

-First, change the cracking time per v.1 to 3 minutes instead of 5. This is so that the higher versions don't take days and days. A minimum crack time of 5 min can still be in place (so v.1 would take 5 minutes, v.2 = 6 minutes, v.3 = 9 minutes). That limit also stops bigger players from just running over the newer players as they don't get an instant-crack.

-Make the ratio of breaker/protect actually matter! Every v.1 that the breaker is higher than the protect removes 1 minute from the break time. For example, a v.5 breaker against a v.4 protect would take 11 minutes instead of 12 (4*3-1). Also, every v.1 that the breaker is lower than the protect should add 30 seconds (or a minute). Therefore, an overclocked v.3 breaker -vs- a v.4 protect would take 12.5 or 13 minutes instead of 12.

-Limit overclocking (has been said before). I've cracked a v6 protect with a v.3 breaker. I don't care if it's real life or a game, that shouldn't happen. Limiting at ~ x3 makes sense - you're getting an extra 66% out of your software. That's more than you'll get in real life, and if you're actually putting any work into your software (or even just downloading the new stuff off pubs/secrets) that won't be an issue.
Noseedam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »

:clap: i have to agree......... makes sense, and it's kinda sad how abusable the over clocking is.........

sign the AP petition already!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »

Thanks nos - I think it makes sense from both an ingame AND a real life perspective. It makes sense that the password encryption would become more complicated as the version increases, and the decryption logarithms for the breaker would become better as version increases. As an extreme example, a V100 password breaker isn't going to have any trouble getting past a v1 password protect. Why would it take almost an hour? Similarly, a v.5 breaker is going to struggle when trying to crack more complicated encryption than it's programmed for and would take longer.
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

i wish we could make our own algorithms in game....... so that we can make it stronger on our own, add something other programs don't have to the game..........
This is why you have so many posts Noseedam. Keep it on topic or make your own thread. Don't spam the entire forums just because you had a thought 1
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »

Those suggestions are going to un-balance and further the gap between the higher player and the lower ones.

A higher player has to invest more resources in defense, and there should be an even field between the higher and lower players, to insure further game play. That's why the 60 minutes cap and the overload.

As I explained before, if A has 10 mil power and B has 1 mil power, A will never overload while B might overload. This keeps A constantly on alert and trying to upgrade his defenses to keep B in check, even if A is 10x times stronger.

So in conclusion, if you want to keep the top position and don't want to be cracked while leaving your IP everywhere, you will have to research huge defenses. Or, you could change IP on a regular basis with the AP and HPD costs like everyone else. But you can rest assured that no-one will ever be invulnerable.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:25:22 PM by siremi » Logged

Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

Well if you think of all the balansing what is the point of the higher powers and the lower powers if we keep the higher power locked a way from every one else. Isn't the point of being more powerful to use it against EVERYONE else.

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

So in conclusion, if you want to keep the top position and don't want to be cracked while leaving your IP everywhere, you will have to research huge defenses. Or, you could change IP on a regular basis with the AP and HPD costs like everyone else. But you can rest assured that no-one will ever be invulnerable.
I haven't asked for invulnerability, I've asked for some semblance of realism. You think that a .3 firewall bypass breaking a version 6 is a good thing? There's NO defense you can research to stop people from cracking you - it's impossible. I could crack a version 117 password right now. Ok guys, scramble to make that V118 so I can't crack you!
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »

I haven't asked for invulnerability, I've asked for some semblance of realism. You think that a .3 firewall bypass breaking a version 6 is a good thing? There's NO defense you can research to stop people from cracking you - it's impossible. I could crack a version 117 password right now. Ok guys, scramble to make that V118 so I can't crack you!

I'll see what I can do then, I'll note it on the task list.

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »

Those suggestions are going to un-balance and further the gap between the higher player and the lower ones.

A higher player has to invest more resources in defense, and there should be an even field between the higher and lower players, to insure further game play. That's why the 60 minutes cap and the overload.

As I explained before, if A has 10 mil power and B has 1 mil power, A will never overload while B might overload. This keeps A constantly on alert and trying to upgrade his defenses to keep B in check, even if A is 10x times stronger.

/FAIL!
Buy IP from the shop.  Cost 3500 HPD.  Risk Zero
Find the mission for them.  They change IP then delete mission and reacquire.  Cost 0HPD.  Risk Zero.

Sir Emi I hate to say it but you keep harping on IP Change when YOU KNOW it is a GOD MODE.   Why?  Because you don't know when the person changes their IP so there is no way to know for certain who does what. But anyone who wants a top 10 IP or heck at this point ANYONES IP can just buy it from the store or find the mission for them as the missions change the IP at the same time as you change the IP.

It is not a matter of being invulnerable.   But I will say this.   If you try to get into one of the top 10 hackers in the real worlds computer your chances are highly slim.

There was even a company out there that offered a 1 million dollar reward for anyone who could actually crack their security.  It was never cracked.

Overload is abusable.
Newbie Protection is abusable.
IP Change is abusable.
HPD Transfer not implemented because you say it is abusable.

Since you keep putting in things that are abusable why not put in HPD transfer?

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

find the mission for them as the missions change the IP at the same time as you change the IP.

The mission does not change IP when the player changes it. That would be a bug if it does.
I'll check it out now, I did test so that would not happen...

virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

find the mission for them as the missions change the IP at the same time as you change the IP.

The mission does not change IP when the player changes it. That would be a bug if it does.
I'll check it out now, I did test so that would not happen...

Well it is how I keep tabs on Soviet and I am sure how others keep tabs on me except I keep changing my server name as well /grin

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

I'll see what I can do then, I'll note it on the task list.
Thanks for considering this SirEmi. As the game grows, it won't be long before every password crack will take exactly one hour - even the secret servers take nearly that long now. Were this implemented, it would give an actual incentive for research (and with the AP for researching, it prohibits people from skyrocketing either program too quickly).
HJ®
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

What's the point in power if you can't ever get ahead?
What's the point in rank if you can't ever get ahead?
What's the point in playing if you can't ever get ahead?

Get rid of the Top Players list. There's no use for it when a 1.000.000 can constantly crack a 10.000.000.

What are we going to do when Soviet/Ebolla/Whoever gets to 100.000.000 power and are constantly being cracked by the immense number of 10.000.000's that are around?

Overload = way too abusable. Put a cap on the overload multiplier.

Don't even get me started on God Mode. I'd like to see how it's fair, but it seems every time someone says something about it, Emi introduces a new feature to get people's minds off of it. It's not just going to get shoved under the carpet, Emi. You say you want to balance the game to ensure further game play, do you just not like the top 10 list you've got now? Because a good chunk of those players are on borderline quitting because of this stupid ****ing IP Change God Mode.
Nagitof

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 11:09:06 PM »

I think we are all getting to worked up over a probllem that can be solved by simple disscusion and everyone listens to what everyone says.

Crlaozwyn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:14:08 AM »

siremi already said he'd consider it/add it to the list. What more is there to say? Close the thread if you want to - it's been a few posts since anything on topic happened.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: