The Hacker Project - a free online game

May 11, 2024, 05:14:20 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Subverting tyranny is the highest duty."
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cap on software version  (Read 11100 times)
siremi
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »

I was thinking maybe it would be cool if we have an upper limit, a maximum version for all software.

This could make people get out of their "hole" once they research / download what they need and then start some nice PvP and invest in more hardware and virii farms.

Could be lower, V 50 for example. Should also make rounds maybe last less time and be more fun with more PvP.

What do you think? Good, bad?

Thank you.

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »

I don't know about capping it, but maybe increasing research costs again.

Maybe something like:

1-5    current research costs
5-10   the current 10+ research costs
10-20 10x prior level
20-30 10x prior level
and so on...

As part of this though...   allow overloading on defenses as well as offenses... 

Exousia
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »

As part of this though...   allow overloading on defenses as well as offenses... 

Would probably balance things a bit.
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »

With software overloading the way it currently works I don't think capping software versions is good. If you institute more PvP missions(with something along of the lines of higher payout for higher level player) then with capped software if would allow even the newer of people to get the software and hack you without having to put in the work. <---Yeah not really how i'm trying to say it but i'm brain dead at the moment but I think ya'll get the idea.
bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

at about 3 months install 3 rev watch the results

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:58:39 AM »

The other option here is to create a limit on the servers with the ability to upgrade them.

Something like:

Green Computer:  Base Stats + can be upgraded to 10x of its starting statistics             (max level 5 software)
       Cost to upgrade 1.0x (current) listed price

Blue Computer:     Starts out at 5x Green   + can be upgraded to 10x of its starting stats    (max level 10 software)
      Purchase Costs: 100,000
      Cost to upgrade 1.5x listed price

Orange Advanced: Starts out at 5x Blue      + can be upgraded to 10x of its starting stats   (Max Level 20 software)
      Purchase Cost   250,000
      Cost to upgrade 3.0x listed price

Red Super:            Starts out at 5x Orange  + can be upgraded to 10x of its starting stats  (Max Level 50 software) 
      Purchase Cost   500,000
      Cost to upgrade 6.0x listed price

... and so on ...

This could also play in the part of when a user finds a computer, it would indicate the name of the server and type.  A lower level player seeing they just encountered an Orange Advanced computer has something to shoot for but realizes that at the moment it might be a bit beyond their reach.

Mission can also be tailored against the level of the computer.  You would be able to provide missions without having to indicate what their exact defenses are.  The player would know that a blue computer could contain up to a level 10 firewall and protect.

On top of all that, every time someone buys a new server that server starts out at the beginner setup...

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »

I dont like it, i mean, i dont really see how limiting the software version is gonna incite more PVP, its not like anyone is close to those versions yet and PVP is hardly rife.

If you want more PVP release the PVP missions, cap robber barons/AP (same difference)

Make it less about money and more about the hax

I think research is about the only thing everyone doesn't have a problem with, and a max v50 defense is nothing when you can overload a v20 or something a few times and easily bypass it

bontrose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:58 PM »

good idea, been suggested w/ missions

i win
you lose
get over it

NOW
Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »

I dont like it, i mean, i dont really see how limiting the software version is gonna incite more PVP, its not like anyone is close to those versions yet and PVP is hardly rife.

I don't know... I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest lately.  I've been hacked a few times, had my research stopped and attempts at downloading my files...

I've been returning the favor... especially against disinfectors...

ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »

I don't know... I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest lately.  I've been hacked a few times, had my research stopped and attempts at downloading my files...

I've been returning the favor... especially against disinfectors...

Yes, i'm aware there's been an angoing feud between you and a person who I know of ;)
I just told him to stay away from disinfects to avoid the attention...
So far i've hacked about 4 private gateways, but I don't want to stir anything up anyway

The Golden Rule

DO YOU SEE

Edit: Even still i dont think limiting software will achieve much other than stunting the game once it gets to that point, if you want rounds to end faster, remove the ability to close Rev installs (faiths cant be killed so why can Rev?)
Bring out the PVP update/missions
Remove AP overloading/limit robber barons

Done, 99% of updates just need some thinking about
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:20:38 PM by DeltA-9.1 » Logged

Brok Ironfist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »

I know that [Hal9000] is GhostShadow...

Still trying to figure out who DeepSix is (could be him I guess)...

Don't go making phony calls, please stick to the seven digit numbers you're used too...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:28:23 PM by Brok Ironfist » Logged

Exousia
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »

With software overloading the way it currently works I don't think capping software versions is good. If you institute more PvP missions(with something along of the lines of higher payout for higher level player) then with capped software if would allow even the newer of people to get the software and hack you without having to put in the work. <---Yeah not really how i'm trying to say it but i'm brain dead at the moment but I think ya'll get the idea.

I have to second this.

If there was no software overloading of any kind, a software cap would be a lot more feasible. With software overloading, a cap is pointless at best, but, most likely, detrimental to the game's balance.
ãłþħά-∆9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 06:06:57 AM »

Don't go making phony calls, please stick to the seven digit numbers you're used too...

And i'm trying to figure out who David is
I think its one of your guys in disguise ;)

Or Ginjitsu maybe D:

ivandrago
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »

remove the ability to close Rev installs (faiths cant be killed so why can Rev?)

It's just the Rev activations on remotehost that can be killed. Installing a Rev on localhost can't be killed

Remove AP overloading/limit robber barons

I agree here, removing AP overloading will do, it'll automatically limit all types of virii. Not only malware and Rev but also the moneymakers, which in turn will automatically limit the posibility to research indefinitely.
Ginjitsu

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »

And i'm trying to figure out who David is
I think its one of your guys in disguise ;)

Or Ginjitsu maybe D:

Sorry Wrong I'm not David...but would you like to play double jeopardy where the scores really change???   bodyguard
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: