The Hacker Project - a free online game

April 28, 2024, 09:05:15 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Trust your technolust!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Kill virii activation on remote host / best software prices  (Read 13142 times)
Sin15698

Only those you trust can betray you.

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 11:29:20 PM »

I don't think it is going to happen because everyone is too scared to use rev.... 14

It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
virus man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »

/yawn Did somebody mention me?

I am still around trolling but with the release of Moria and the fact I have a founder lifetime account I have been playing there mostly.  Some send me PM's in game now and then to which I do respond.  But honestly there is really a serious drop in the average IQ on these forums so I try not to post to often.  After all who wants to hear something from the 5lut?  I know I don't.  If I could put her on ignore on the forums I would in a heart beat.

However I am interested in testing rev.  Who knows I may restart SGP and make it Pro-Rev for a few rounds.  I don't really know at this point though.

If there is any interest in starting SGP back up again go send me a PM on the SGP forums.

Satica members.  You guys are an extended family due in large to HJ.  As such IF I start up SGP again you guys will stay off limits unless you attack us first.  Of course the roster will be hidden so that will make things interesting.

Anyways back to LoTRo I go.   hrmm  I gotta change skills in Eve to come to think of it.

Oh and to be on topic.  The price change isn't enough IMO Titam.  I really hope you increase it exponentially sort of like how you did with the research.  Base at .5 and have the price per point increase at roughly the same rate as research provides diminishing returns.
Other than that looks cool.

SGP is opening their forums for all.  From now on all Tutorials and Help files that SGP releases will be available there.

SGP's Forums.

New World Order
Araeus

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »

So you can remote kill a virii install that is not yet complete?  So like at any point, or while the timer is still counting down, or while it says "complete" and has not yet had the install finish?

Sin15698

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:43 AM »

So you can remote kill a virii install that is not yet complete?  So like at any point, or while the timer is still counting down, or while it says "complete" and has not yet had the install finish?

I think at anytime so long as it was started by the localhost (meaning the person who owns the server started the install on themselves)

Andreas

Everything I say has a british sarcastic tone.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »

When rev or faith is being installed/run by localhost NO PERSON except the one starting the process can stop it. But Im not sure about what happens if a remotehost tries to install/run the file.

My sweet Eleonore, show no fear,
for the fearful riders are all ear,
and they smell and tastes every tear.
But more importantly: They aren't here!
Therefore there is no reason to fear.
Not until they ride again, my dear.
Sin15698

sin1598@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »

When rev or faith is being installed/run by localhost NO PERSON except the one starting the process can stop it. But Im not sure about what happens if a remotehost tries to install/run the file.

I think only the person who started it could stop rev, even if it was started on another server.

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »

152,184 HPD for 2.1 File share??? C'mon, do you know how much time and resources went in researching that?

I still think that the owner of the file should get the money that you pay software dealer. There would be much more researching done!

lpJ.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 07:58:33 AM »

152,184 HPD for 2.1 File share??? C'mon, do you know how much time and resources went in researching that?

I still think that the owner of the file should get the money that you pay software dealer. There would be much more researching done!

lpJ.

Wow this could be an excellent idea.. After ofcourse upgrading the price like Ebolla suggested..

It seems more fair but on the other hand.. The software dealer is actually a hacker who makes a copy of your software and tries to earn a few hpd by selling it. The whole idea of the software dealer would then have to be changed..
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »

Ok. If that is so, then i would like to request a new feature: a chance to sell software i researched. If software dealer can sell it after "stealing it", why not me?

lpJ.
Exousia
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

Or sell it to the software dealer and get a royalty on it.

I dunno, sounds too much like the music industry, but another game I toyed with briefly allows for the sale of software which one has developed, even allows you to set the price. Right now, however, how could anyone compete with the prices at the Software Dealer without taking a hit? Then again, one might have to rely on bulk sales in this way to make a profit.

Development costs 100k. Sale prices is 20k. Only five sales to break even and any more than that is pure profit. Meanwhile you undercut the Software Dealer who sells it at cost or whatever. You'd have to expose your IP address like you would for others to use your Public FTP, but one could take sales away from the Software Dealer this way.

Drawbacks could include having to actually download the purchased software, using BW on both sides while the Software Dealer offers instant transfer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:26:31 PM by Exousia » Logged
jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 02:47:29 AM »

Drawbacks could include having to actually download the purchased software, using BW on both sides while the Software Dealer offers instant transfer.

Not that is the thing that bothers me too. Sure, it is good - for someone who want's to just use the work of others. But in every other case you have to crack the server and wait till the file is downloaded. And that takes days even with good bw.

But with software dealer : presto - you have a file in a minute! Cheap, fast, annoys me to the point I don't see why I would research for others. If I trade my research with other at least usually i get something in return, but with dealer - i feel ripped off and there is no protection against him. At least give as some software protection against dealer's hacking 1

lpJ.
Exousia
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »

I'm afraid I've got to agree with you, Jager.

This method could replace the software dealer, if you think about it. Or maybe have the dealer only sell up to v0.5 as had been suggested and leave it to the players to develop software beyond that and offer it for sale. Basically, the dealer's an independent software developer who offers a limited array of products while we the players, as independent contractors and groups of hackers could develop and market our own software either software which we have stolen from the megacorps or researched ourselves in order to make a return on our investment and make research really worth doing again.
Donn

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:42 AM »

At the moment research requires a lot of patience and a lot of hardware. Precious AP is required to complete the many research rounds.

At the moment it is also quite easy for top players to hack eachother. High breakers are available on the secret servers and the protections that are considered to be the best in HP at the moment, are easy to break if you have decent hardware.

The combination of these two factors, result in players not being motivated to do research.

If you would however, make the players able to gain profit from their research. A lot would focus their gameplay on research again, instead of just waiting for the other guy to finish his research and then just take it.

The problem is: who will be able to buy these softwares? Since most of you desire that the prices are increased.

I also don't think it's realistic that Hackers would really sell their softwares to the competition. You don't need to sell your softwares to friends since you can just trade with them (not give HPD though..)

Another point: by making it able to gain profit from your research, you will give the top players another chance to get even better and it will help in making it very hard for new players to ever come close to the top players again.

My arguments aren't really solid probably.. I'm studying in the meanwhile so..  laugh

But you get my point. Instead of only looking to the benefits and from the side of the one who researches, try to think about the people that are not on that side.

The only good reaction to this problem is: increase the prices of the softwares above V.5 (or limit the software dealer by removing the possibility of buying softwares above V.5)

jager

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 04:29:47 AM »

I wouldn't sell my very best software 1 But I would sell a bit lower version and I believe lower ranking players would still benefit from it. Perhaps they wouldn't be able to break me, but they would be able to access secret servers?

lpJ.
Exousia
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »

How is a hacker selling software unrealistic?

You seem to be upholding an idealized vision of a hacker. A "true" hacker would not only work constantly to liberate every piece of software/data possible, but make it openly available. Hackers hack because they can. A lot of modern hackers also work for companies, breaking into systems in order to demonstrate flaws and doing so for a bounty. On the other hand we have a legion of hackers working for the FBI's National Computer Crime Squad (I'm sure other nations have similar institutions) and there are many who were scooped up by development companies as high-end coders and testers. Profit motive is very much becoming a reality of being a hacker in modern times.

In this game, we work every day to increase our stock of active virii. These virii do what? They generate cash. Hacker Project hackers are technological mercenaries and thieves, not heroic liberators of information. Sale of developed and stolen software is just one more money making endeavor.

It may seem cynical, but think about it from that perspective and it makes sense. Why not fund high end research by selling off copies of software you no longer use to the noobs? Trade with your friends and make repositories for you group members, but sell the low end stuff to the masses. The revenue goes to buy new hardware and conduct more research. Motive for research restored and gap between high end and newbs closed a bit. There's also more publicly known IPs and this will certainly attract assaults. More assaults means more PvP and more motive to research better protects and generate money through sale of software, completion of missions, and installing virii. More motive, more activity, more PvP, more fun, right?

Jager's got a point. Few would really sell their top stuff. Gotta keep oneself safe if one's IP is publicly known.

Conversely, the only people who would feel secure enough to open such storefronts would probably be the high end players who would then take in the majority of the revenue from such sales. There is also a danger of BW locking through all the downloads being conducted at any given time.

The only counter to the BW locking I can come up with is a BW seizing program which gradually forces BW to be available for an attacking system to use to upload malicious software to the target or download files. Gotta hack the attacker to stop the processes.

Also, the price increase is to the built-in Software Dealer, and the player software sales, as I understood it, were using player set prices. One could just as easily set the sale price to $0. Undercutting the Software Dealer in this way should lessen its importance.

Hopefully this clears things up at least for what I'm trying to say. It's all just rough thoughts so I'm not married to any of these ideas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: